Wednesday, June 26, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2002

      Issue #1116 Wednesday June 26 2002
      Home: http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm
      Editor: Jerry Katz

      "It seemed like one smiling smile, one adorable
      adoration, one gracious and adorable charity,
      everlasting safety, refreshing afternoon, roses,
      infinite brilliant immaterial golden ash, the Golden
      Age." --Jack Kerouac, from The Scripture of Golden

      from Alice's Restaurant

      Patchouly :)

      I was talking to Mark Ambrose last night after I ordered
      a Kilo of Iron Free patchouly from Rosanne. I'm still
      checking out some samples Marge Clark sent me and I'm
      sure I'm going to get one of those too! I just don't
      know which yet.

      As I was going through all my oils with Mark, especially
      the patchouly, but also some Attars, Ruh Khus, and
      Sandalwoods (Mysore 1993) and Tamil (About three or
      four years old) I started thinking I was a lunatic!

      Why do I have all this patchouly?

      What is this obsession I have with Patchouly.

      From Kilos of Guru Balsam free, Iron free, Dark Indian,
      1993 Dark Indian, etc. etc. I even have a small bottle
      that is 1960's vintage.

      None of it for sale!

      My son's both hate patchouly, but some day they are
      going to inhereit the largest private collection I know

      Is there some divine force at work here, or perhaps some
      psychological glich (ala Jack Nicholson-As Good as it

      I quess we all have our quirks :)

      My best Patchouly memory occured in Indonesia. I was
      buzzing past a field on my moped when all of a
      sudden...wham... I was smacked by a hot cloud of the
      dirtiest, most wonderful patchouly scent ever. I
      figured my olfactory memory was being tweeked (along
      with all my other senses..part of the culture shock I
      suppose) and kept moving on Hours later, on the way
      back, it nailed me again...a hot wave of Patchouly
      scent riding on the coastal breeze...catching me like a
      net in the very same place... Years later I returned
      there and sure enough the same heavenly Patchouly scent
      caught me...after further investigation I found out that
      huge field of Patchouly plants were being cultivated
      there....and immense field. The neat part about that is
      how the field, in the right conditions, smelled exactly
      how I would like Patchouly to smell. Like dirt. Fine,
      aromatic dirt. I love Patchouly too, folks!

      Another favorite I can't seem to escape it Patchouly and
      Vetiver. A heavenly combo (in the right proportions) if
      ever there was one.

      Aloha, Damar

      Patchouli plants are available in some nurseries this
      time of year, or by mail order. A member of the mint
      family, they grow like wildfire, and can reach 4' x 4'
      by the end of summer. They need semi shade and lots of
      water. The scent gets released gently by a breeze or a
      little sun, and sometimes, when the air is very still,
      the scent 'hangs'.

      You can grow it in a pot, or put it in the ground. In
      the fall, you can either take cuttings (roots very
      easily) or pot it up and bring it indoors.

      I eat the crispy leaves in an Asian salad, with enoki
      mushrooms, lettuce, water chestnuts and a sesame
      oil/rice vinegar dressing.

      I know logees.com has the plants, if you interested,
      call around to local nurseries that stock lots of herb
      plants, they'll probably have some or can order them for

      Then, you can have your own, growing, dirt-scented
      perfume/incense plant -- it is lovely and light growing
      naturally, the deeper scent comes upon fermentation of
      the leaves and distillation.

      Picture it: hippie times, 1968, strong acid, patchouli
      fumes hang heavy in the air,

      hi perfumers,
      these days are still with us. when i sell
      some of my blends at the music fairs and festivals all
      summer and autumn quite a few people young and old buy
      the single essence of patchouli. some folks are just
      reminiscing but quite a few are still living that
      lifestyle. i have seen some crazy and funny things
      happen (ie. people come up, buy a bottle of patchouli
      and immediately open it and start dabbing their
      underarms : ) nothing left to do but smile, smile,
      smile. i usually sell a bunch of lavender and tea tree
      also, just for the record. happy blending,

      I wear it instead of deoderant and I smell sooooo good!

      I was at the local little store here.."hickville" and I
      walked in and  they all stared, one reason was because I
      have hippified clothes on  (only because they are left
      over from the "old" days) and big hair  and the stank of
      patchouli..they just stared.. then finally the woman
      behind the desk says.."what is that delicious  perfume
      you are wearing??" "oh, it is just a patchouli creme I
      made." "Oh, please bring me some!  will you please?" I
      did.. It is odd, you would think these people arround
      here would not  apreaciate patchouli but they love it..I
      get asked all the  time.."what are you wearing?

      That's what!

      from Adyashantigroup

      The Scripture of the Golden Eternity
      by Jack Kerouac

      You are the golden eternity because there is
      no me and no you, only one golden eternity.

      This world is the movie of what everything is,
      it is one movie, made of the same stuff
      throughout, belonging to nobody, which is what
      everything is.

      Sociability is a big smile, and a big smile is
      nothing but teeth. Rest and be kind.

      The words "atoms of dust" and "the great
      universes" are only words. The idea that they
      imply is only an idea. The belief that we live here
      in this existence, divided into various beings,
      passing food in and out of ourselves, and casting off
      husks of bodies one after another with no cessation
      and no definite or particular discrimination, is
      only an idea. The seat of our Immortal Intelligence
      can be seen in that beating light between the eyes
      the Wisdom Eye of the ancients: we know what
      we're doing: we're not disturbed: because
      we're like the golden eternity pretending at
      playing the magic cardgame and making believe
      it's real, it's a big dream, a joyous ecstasy of
      words and ideas and flesh, an ethereal flower
      unfolding and folding back, a movie, an
      exuberant bunch of lines bounding emptiness,
      the womb of Avalokitesvara, a vast secret
      silence, springtime in the Void, happy young
      gods talking and drinking on a cloud. Our
      32,000 chillicosms bear all the marks of
      excellence. Blind milky light fills our night;
      and the morning is a crystal.

      When you've understood this scripture, throw it
      away. If you cant understand this scripture,
      throw it away. I insist on your freedom.

      Kindness and sympathy, understanding and
      encouragement, these give: they are better
      than just presents and gifts: no reason in the
      world why not. Anyhow, be nice. Remember
      the golden eternity is yourself. "If someone will
      simply practice kindness," said Gotama to
      Subhuti, "he will soon attain highest perfect
      wisdom." Then he added: "Kindness after all
      is only a word and it should be done on the spot
      without thought of kindness." By practicing
      kindness all over with everyone you will soon
      come into the holy trance, definite distinctions
      of personalities will become what they really
      mysteriously are, our common and eternal blissstuff,
      the pureness of everything forever, the great bright
      essence of mind, even and one thing everywhere the
      holy eternal milky love, the white light everywhere
      everything, emptybliss, svaha, shining, ready, and
      awake, the compassion in the sound of silence, the
      swarming myriad trillionaire you are.

      Cats yawn because they realize
      that there's nothing to do.

      This world has no marks, signs or evidence of
      existence, nor the noises in it, like accident
      of wind or voices or heehawing animals,
      yet listen closely the eternal hush of silence
      goes on and on throughout all this, and has been
      going on, and will go on and on. This is because
      the world is nothing but a dream and is just thought
      of and the everlasting eternity pays no attention
      to it. At night under the moon, or in a quiet
      room, hush now, the secret music of the Unborn
      goes on and on, beyond conception, awake beyond
      existence. Properly speaking, awake is not really
      awake because the golden eternity never went to
      sleep: you can tell by the constant sound of
      Silence which cuts through this world like a
      magic diamond through the trick of your not
      realizing that your mind caused the world.

      I was smelling flowers in the yard, and when
      I stood up I took a deep breath and the blood all
      rushed to my brain and I woke up dead on my
      back in the grass. I had apparently fainted,
      or died, for about sixty seconds. My neighbor
      saw me but he thought I had just suddenly
      thrown myself on the grass to enjoy the sun.
      During that timeless moment of unconsciousness
      I saw the golden eternity. I saw heaven. In it
      nothing had ever happened, the events of a
      million years ago were just as phantom and
      ungraspable as the events of now or of a million
      years from now, or the events of the next ten
      minutes. It was perfect, the golden solitude, the
      golden emptiness, Something-Or-Other, something
      surely humbly. There was a rapturous ring of
      silence abiding perfectly. There was no question
      of being alive or not being alive, of likes and
      dislikes, of near or far, no question of giving
      or gratitude, no question of mercy or judgment,
      or of suffering or its opposite or anything.
      It was the womb itself, aloneness, alaya vijnana
      the universal store, the Great Free Treasure, the
      Great Victory, infinite completion, the joyful
      mysterious essence of Arrangement. It seemed
      like one smiling smile, one adorable adoration,
      one gracious and adorable charity, everlasting
      safety, refreshing afternoon, roses, infinite
      brilliant immaterial golden ash, the Golden Age.
      The "golden" came from the sun in my eyelids,
      and the "eternity" from my sudden instant
      realization as I woke up that I had just
      been where it all came from and where it
      was all returning, the everlasting So, and
      so never coming or going; therefore I call it
      the golden eternity but you can call it anything
      you want. As I regained consciousness I felt so sorry
      I had a body and a mind suddenly realizing I
      didnt even have a body and a mind and nothing
      had ever happened and everything is alright
      forever and forever and forever, O thank you
      thank you thank you.

      Did I create that sky?  Yes, for if it was
      anything other than a conception in my mind
      I wouldn't have said "Sky" - That is why I am the
      golden eternity.  There are not two of us here,
      reader and writer, but one, one golden eternity,
      One-Which-It-Is, That-Which-Everything-Is.

      The awakened Buddha to show the way, the
      chosen Messiah to die in the degradation
      of sentience, is the golden eternity.  One that
      is what is, the golden eternity, or God, or,
      Tathagata - the name. The Named One.
      The human God.  Sentient Godhood.
      Animate Divine. The Deified One.
      The Verified One.  The free One.
      The Liberator.  The Still one.
      The Settled One.  The Established One.
      Golden Eternity.  All is Well.
      The Empty One.  The Ready One.

      The Quitter.  The Sitter.
      The justified One.  The Happy One.

      That sky, if it was anything other than an
      illusion of my mortal mind I wouldn't have said
      "that sky."  Thus I made that sky, I am the
      golden eternity.  I am Mortal Golden Eternity.

      I am the golden eternity in mortal animate form.

      Strictly speaking, there is no me, because all is
      emptiness.  I am empty, I am non-existent.
      All is bliss.

      This truth law has no more reality than the world.

      You are the golden eternity because there is
      no me and no you, only one golden eternity.

      The Realizer. Entertain no imaginations whatever,
      for the thing is a no-thing.  knowing this then
      is Human Godhood.

      This world is the movie of what everything is,
      it is one movie, made of the same stuff
      throughout, belonging to nobody, which is what
      everything is.

      If it were not all the golden eternity we
      wouldn't be here.  Because we are here we
      can't help being pure.  To tell man to be pure on
      account of the punishing angel that punishes the
      bad and the rewarding angel that rewards the good
      would be like telling the water "Be Wet" - Never
      the less, all things depend on supreme reality,
      which is already established as the record of
      Karma-earned fate.

      God is not outside us but is just us, the
      living and the dead, the never-lived and
      never-died.  That we should learn it only now, is
      supreme reality, it was written a long time ago
      in the archives of universal mind, it is already
      done, there's no more to do.

      This is the knowledge that sees the golden
      eternity in all things, which is us, you,
      me, and which is no longer us, you, me.......

      from the I Am list

      Dear All
      As I have been practising Self-Inquiry, some new
      insights from actual experience are coming in. May be,
      these things will help others. Or, some others already
      know this. In which case, they can communicate. And,
      that will reinforce each other's experience and faith.
      The true purpose of one's being in a satsang.

      As I practise Self-Enquiry, I find that suddenly there
      is an out and down rush of ego from within. And, that
      the consciousness becomes too externalised,
      automatically arresting the Self-Inquiry and bringing in

      In fact, once a devotee asked thus to Sri Bhagawan,
      'Should we do Self-Enquiry always?' And, promptly Sri
      Bhagawan replied, 'If we do not perform Self-Enquiry,
      world-enquiry will automatically creep in.  So, why not
      persist in Self-Enquiry itself?'

      This is, of course, good. As Sri Bhagawan has stated in
      an answer to a question raised  by our great Sri Siva
      Prakasam Pillai and recorded in the small booklet titled
      'Who am I?' Sri Bhagawan states that only if the enemy
      soldiers (of thoughts, whatever these may be) come from
      within the fort one by one, we can kill them by
      Self-inquiry and gain entry into and occupy the fort (of
      the Self)

      However, this out and down rush of the ego occurs so
      swiftly.  And, it seems to occur in increasing degrees
      of horizontal projection and downward fall. First there
      is this increase of the width of the ego dragging and
      pinning the attention on the 'other'. And then, there is
      this increase in the depth of the reach of the ego,
      dragging and pinning the attention on the 'grosser'.
      Finally, the ego has struck the heel as is stated in
      Genesis(!) of the Old Testament

      Now, it is our turn to strike its hood, again, as stated
      in Genesis(!) of the Old Testament,  through
      Self-Enquiry as suggested by Sri Bhagawan.

      Sri Bhagawan has stated that this Self-Enquiry is to be
      done in 3 steps.

      1 'For whom is this thought?' (not verbally, but
        inwardly) This is to turn the attention from the

      2 Then, there will be the response from within 'For me'.

      3 Then, we have enquire 'Who am I'? (not verbally, but

      My difficulty was that once by the sudden out and down
      rush of the ego,  my consciouness becomes too heavily
      externalized in thickness and depth, it becomes too
      difficult to commence the enquiry by the 1st step 'For
      whom is this thought?'

      However, it suddenly struck me that I have to both lift
      up and compact the ego. That is, shrink it both
      horizontally and vertically. So, I started uttering the
      words 'lift up' a couple of times. Without really
      knowing what could be the result. This, compacted the
      ego so quickly that the ability to enquire 'For whom is
      this thought' was handed back to me, as it were. So, the
      thought about vertical lifting up brings about the
      horizontal compaction, surprisingly enough

      And then, upon successfully commencing the Self-Enquiry
      with the thought 'For whom is this thought', the
      vertical lifting up occurs. So, the thought about
      horizontal compaction, brings about the lifting up of
      the ego, less surprising this time though(!)  And also
      the awareness or the response that 'For me is this
      thought' or 'I am the thinker' powerfully returns at
      this stage.

      Now, we can hold the attention lightly over the tip of
      the compacted and lifted ego, and continue the attention
      as to 'Who I am'. Thus, completing one cycle of the
      process of Self-Enquiry through the mind.

      Then, as Saint Sri Sadhu Aum has observed, this
      self-attention automatically slackens. We can leave the
      process for a couple of minutes. Chanting the Name
      'Arunachala Siva'. Now, we are not chanting the Name of
      God in vain, as the Old Testament warns us not to.

      Then, we can recommence the process of Self-inquiry.

      Yours in Sri Bhagawan
      RK Shankar