Sunday, June 23, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 24, 2002
      Nondual Highlights
      #1113 Sunday, June 23, 2002
      Editor: Gloria Lee

      JAN BARENDRECHT on NDS

      mind the running mill
      runs man as mindless quick fix
      bingeing bugs who play
      drown in the whirl of feel and thought
      although the mind is still

      VICKI WOODYARD on NDS

      Silence

      Silence is the thing that sings

      in the  middle of the morass of noise.

      Silence is the One that witnesses cacaphony

      and brings you home to honesty and humility.

      Silence is the solvent of stridency

      in the moment of your misery.

      It asks nothing of you.

      If silence should arise within your heart,

      it has come from the depths of your desire for God.

      Honor silence as you would honor a prophet of old

      And you will become new.

      JERRY KATZ on NDS

      Vicki,

      I just had breakfast with Mark McCloskey, who has
      <http://www.puresilence.org>. He was in town on a business trip. His whole
      thing is silence. You must know him, as I think he links to your website.

      Mark brought me a box of TastyKake Krimpets: 12 Jelly Filled Sponge Cakes.
      You can only buy Tastykakes in the New York, Philly, New Jersey, Baltimore
      corridor. They were exquisite. Moist and delicious. So he really knows how to
      get on my good side.

      So I sponged breakfast off Mark and he was one of the most pleasant people to
      spend time with. I told him how I was at a beach the other day which had no
      one on it, no noise, no road with traffic nearby and even no waves. I
      mentioned that there was the sound of no waves. That seemed to be an
      interesting way of describing silence.

      Spending time with Mark was like being at that beach. He's a good guy. And
      biting into a Tastykake was like stepping into soft warm sand for the first
      time in a long time.

      Jerry

      JAN BARENDRECHT

      reading countless books
      out of the big trickster's hat
      about "thou art that"
      knowing to be free
      why repeat reading a truth
      one that's known so well?
      paying for the no mind show
      enjoy satsangh silence no?
      when silence is free
      no one is left to enjoy
      that's the joke on me

      ROGER ISAACS on NDS

      Attached picture: wild fire burning down to Vallecito Lake
      near Durango last week.

      JOHN LOGANIS on HarshaSatsangh

      That is great that your brother is "under control" and not so wacked out.

      My goal is to go deeper. In one sense the question for any challenge is "Why
      me? Why this?" and one answer is "Why not?" If we truly understood the
      variety in our experience we might see something else at work. People with
      Downs Syndrome have an enormous love to give and receive. People who are
      autistic often have an incredible musical sense and can hear things in music
      which ordinary folk don't hear.

      I'm not saying these conditions are comfortable, but I am saying that if we
      look deeply we may see some need being met, or something deeper. I am
      recovering from cancer and its treatment. When I stopped asking "Why
      me?" and started trying to answer the question "What am I learning from
      this experience?" and "Now, what do I have to share?" my world changed
      and my attitude changed radically. I didn't want nor do I want anything to
      do with cancer -- but there it is, what can I learn from this experience? I
      am still learning.

      People much younger than I who get this cancer have died. I wonder why? I
      wonder why I am still alive. It is because I made a radical decision and
      CHOSE LIFE. I chose to get good out of my condition, and as good as I get,
      I choose to share that good. It is my fantasy that that attitude is one of the
      reasons I am still here.

      Van Gogh was truly whacked out and in his most whacked out phases painted
      some of his most powerful paintings. Etc.

      I don't want anyone to suffer, and people with bipolar conditions and their
      care-givers have a lot to deal with. I'm just asking the professionals in their
      search for resolution to look for the value in the conditions they deal with
      and find a better way to realize that value while relieving the sufferer of
      the stress and anxiety. So much of the professional community only deal with
      suppressing the symptoms and never really dealing with the cause and/or the
      potential value.

      I suppose that I am just rambling, but I have met "open" doctors and
      "closed, in the box (PDR)" doctors. At least there is compassion in the the
      "open" doctors and a willingness to look deeper.

      And that is my personal goal for what is left of my life: to look deeper.

      ERIC ASHFORD on HS

      Mandala

      Tell me about your real story.
      How you came to be this open book
      In a library full of closed ones.
      How the pages turn every day
      As you write another dream passage down
      In this journal of your soul
      Hardly believing this mystery tale.

      And how you now
      Lend your love letters out
      To the readers of open hearts
      So that the art of transmission
      Will not die in the world.
      How in your own wizardry and parable
      You reveal the diary of many,
      Who would learn beyond
      The autobiography of their past.

      You no longer talk in sound bites
      Of endless information,
      But paint allegories
      From the oils of a sunflower
      That has grown from the root
      Of a living myth
      More real than any mundane fantasy.

      And now this chronicle
      Of your Odyssey of awakening
      Can be interpreted whole
      By others who read hidden images
      Of their secret life
      In the mandala of your words.

      Yes, tell me your story.
      Draw a mystic circle on the one page
      Of your open book
      That speaks of the beginning and the end,
      And the unfolding lotus of meaning.
      As an illustration of our journey to,
      Beyond the shelf of time.

      VALERIE on HS

      Alaska Wildflowers II

      Wild Iris and Lily

      ALAN LARUS on HS

      What a Day

      For breakfast I had, plenty of air
      and sun on my skin

      My lunch was for free, the smell of a Rose
      between sweet Jasmine

      My eyes had the dinner, I showed no restraint,
      the sky, every field and the rugged terrain.

      The Nightingale made a dessert for me
      a long string of pearls and the deep blue sea.

      When it was time for my evening meal,
      the moon faced the sun
      and the sun faced the moon,
      and this was a cradle hanging between.

      Here I sat already filled to the brim
      stretching the limit of this body’s skin.
      I could not turn back or withhold
      I was sold to move on just to burst
      like a pod from the heat of the sun.

      What a day,
      what an end.
      Now I'm turned outside in
      and all I can see is me.

      Since I cannot paint or draw, having to use a camera,
      here is some Norwegian water for a lot of flowers.