Highlights, Fri., Sept 17

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 1999
      Today I had one of the most pleasant afternoons I've had in
      a long time. Andrew (from the Nonduality Salon, and who does
      this digest) and I ate lunch at a Korean restaurant, enjoyed
      crazy decorative noodles, tender vegetarian tempura, tea,
      delicate colorful sushi, bright and spicy kimchee, perfect
      rice, there were even tablecloths on the table. Let's just
      say I got the better half of a t-shirt for meal deal.

      Apres dining we took a pleasant stroll through the Victorian
      style Public Gardens.

      We talked about everything, and found we share similar
      values. I enjoyed learning about him. The only time the
      conversation got hung up was when Andrew was talking about
      Karma and I really couldn't follow what he was saying. I
      was sweatin', thinking, if it were email I could
      conveniently ignore him and move on to Tim's post.

      And with gorgeous Korean foods mingling in my belly, and
      visions of flowers in my eyes, impressions of a beautiful
      person filling the heart space in my chest, and thoughts of
      coming together again, online and off, we took our leave.

      --Jerry

      I am all things and no-thing. I am not the object, but the
      material from which the object is made, which is
      spirit-stuff. There are no 'others' to teach. I (you) can
      remove ignorance from my(your)self. I am that which I am.

      With Love, Tim

      ...is there anything "prior" to realization?
      Let's talk of what we know rather than what we read
      somewhere. Reality always IS, and there is no "prior".
      Reality is not something to be reached as the culmination of
      seeking or striving. Reality/realization is just the
      seeking and striving, and dropping the seeking/striving.
      Illusion is the manifesting of reality, not the opposite of
      reality.

      --Phil

      Hello everyone!

      I've just joined this lovely salon and wanted to say hello
      to you all.
      I'd like to share a perspective on "nonduality" by inviting
      you to read an recent article, "Reflections on Nondualism
      and Self-Inquiry," which is posted on my web site:
      http://www.robrabbin.com

      Just click on the SELF-INQUIRY main section, then click on
      Articles, and then click the article title.

      I look forward to visiting this Salon regularly.

      With highest regards to one and all,

      Rob

      It goes without saying that this vast mystery of silence
      lives as everyone's only brain, voice, heart. Enlightenment
      is completely ordinary, fully available to anyone any time;
      we're born enlightened, and we can never lose that, no
      matter how much we screw things up.

      andrew

      We're together in a roller coaster car, screaming our way
      down a black hole leading to real dissolution.

      --Jerry

      Yes. And on the way, we pass through many holographic
      images of brick walls, monsters, gods and goddesses, gurus,
      each one designed to elicit a bigger scream than the last.

      As our car approaches each image, we compare it to the other
      images, rate it, file the memory, and then react.
      Eventually, all of those images become similar in nature
      (they are images) and thus uninteresting.

      Eventually, one takes the entire file of indexed images and
      places it in an inactive file; this allows emptiness to
      prevail.

      Now it is the screaming itself which is interesting; one may
      recall one's own screaming at similar times on this ride.
      One may empathize with the screamers, while experiencing
      emptiness.

      Screaming in emptiness; the holographic universe, an image
      itself, composed of remembered and indexed impressions, kept
      active by the reactions of the screamers, who present to
      each-other their own versions of the holographic images of
      desire and aversion, indexed per world-dream value criteria.

      Someone may detect the underlying breathing which empowers
      the screamers; someone may relax and enjoy breathing. One
      may breath with the universe; this is the ultimate
      conspiracy.

      ==Gene Poole==

      I've seen each one of these 32 techniques attempted by
      friends of mine. Here are the practices, along with the
      explanations of why they were undertaken by the seekers.
      The items are wonderfully inconsistent with each other, and
      range from the wacky to the "Wow, sounds deep!"

      32 Forms of Sadhana That Do Not Produce Enlightenment
      The 32 things on this list are often wonderful, helpful,
      healthful and fulfilling for certain aspects of life. But
      sometimes they have been employed directly or indirectly as
      Sadhana or spiritual practice in order to achieve
      enlightenment for those who believe in enlightenment. The
      list is not consistent, as it reflects the efforts of
      different people at different times, etc. Unfortunately,
      each item on this list fails to bring about enlightenment.

      1. Yell at the top of your lungs for 17 minutes a day, even
      if you are not angry. This releases aggressions even if you
      don't feel aggressive, and brings you closer to the Self.

      2. Wear Birkenstocks. Never wear Prada or Gucci, as the
      designs are fashionable, which emphasizes the illusion of
      appearance -- this is unspiritual. Health, comfort, utility
      and the new age simplicity of Birkenstocks are a step in the
      right direction away from attachment to the body and towards
      higher things.

      3. If you are ever in the Self, stay with it. Rehearse if
      you have to. You'll get closer next time. The goal is to
      stay with the Self uninterruptedly.

      4. Try never to desire anything. If you want something,
      don't want it. Desire is the number 1 thing responsible for
      bondage.

      5. Never use the word "I"; instead, say "This form." This
      reduces the tendency for the "I-thought" to arise, which
      keeps you in bondage.

      5. Whenever you hear "I" in conversation, ask "WHO?!" This
      helps others to free themselves from the "I-thought," while
      reinforcing the practice in yourself.

      6. Wake up at 4am, and never sleep or catnap if the sun is
      out. The dawn of day is the most spiritual part, and
      hastens your enlightnment, especially if you meditate then
      and say your mantra 12,000 times before 9am.

      7. Smile all the time, even when you stub your toe.
      Everything is perfect, and always smiling will help
      re-program you to understand this.

      8. When unpleasant things happen, say that everything is an
      illusion, but when pleasant things happen, say that
      everything is perfect.

      9. When unpleasant things happen, say that everything is
      perfect.

      10. The Self is quiet and mild, the embodiment of Silence
      in all its forms. Therefore, eat food from Silence -- Eat
      only mild, sattvic, vegan foods. Also off the list: sugar,
      salt, peppers, dairy, wheat, spelt, kamut, beans, dairy,
      onions, garlic, vegetable substitutes for bacon, anything
      blue, and any rice except south Indian Basmati rice aged for
      over one year but that has not been on the shelves of a
      U.S. retail establishment for over 32 days.

      11. Cultivate an appreciation of quiet, refined,
      sophisticated art and music, because it comes directly from
      the Self without the defilements of the mind, intellect,
      emotions - classical music is the best. Sometimes, quiet
      jazz is acceptable, but only ballads. No tempo faster than
      72 beats per minute, and no drums except in crescendos.
      When there is no electricity or high-quality stereo
      available, slow bhajans are recommended.

      12. Wear "consciousness clothes." White represents this
      the best. Sometimes purple, pastels or earth-tones are
      acceptable. Never wear black, which comes from the
      anti-Self. Never wear bright colors which are an attachment
      to the physical plane (but Indian saris and indigenous
      textiles from Central America are OK).

      13. To reduce the bondage to the body and emphasis on the
      illusion of physical appearance, do this: For men, grow a
      beard; for women, never shave any part of the body. Do not
      bathe more than once a week in the winter, 3 times a week in
      the summer.

      14. Learn a spiritual language such as Sanskrit or Tibetan,
      because the divinity of pure spirit is accessible only in
      these languages. In a pinch, Japanese or Hebrew will do.
      Never, ever learn German or Polish.

      15. Never go outside except when necessary. If you live in
      the city, order in from the grocery store. Never go to
      restaurants.

      16. Never use air conditioning at home even though you're
      sweating.

      17. Ignore the body, except for basic maintenance.
      Athletics promote attachment to the body.

      18. You never judge of course, but you can't help noticing
      that people with a suntan or muscle tone are unspiritual.

      19. Never drink anything but water. Other liquids enhance
      attachment to the senses, which delays enlightenment.

      20. Take hatha yoga, which will allow you to control your
      body and mind, getting you closer to Spirit. Ignore the
      increased muscle tone and physical feelings of well-being -
      these are based on the lower chakras, which must be cleared
      and transcended before enlightenment can be reached.

      21. If you live in a city or town of over 16,000 people,
      then move, because there's less Consciousness in cities.

      22. Never have sex, even if you're married. Enough said.

      23. If you are heterosexual, try to cultivate sexual
      attraction to the same sex.
      Heterosexuality is a preference, based on attachment to
      concepts.

      24. If you are homosexual, try to cultivate sexual
      attraction to the opposite sex.
      Homosexuality is a preference, based on attachment to
      concepts.

      25. Throw away all your jewelry, preferably into a fire.

      26. Donate lots of your money to the guru, thus shedding
      attachment.

      27. Try to not wear clothes, especially at spiritual
      retreats. That attachment thing again.

      28. Never use makeup. It veils your true essence, and
      betrays an attachment to the body.

      29. Shave your head. Tattoo the name of your guru on your
      scalp. This shows your true surrender to all, and makes it
      a public proclamation.

      30. Never go to the movies, watch TV or read fiction.

      31. Never desire or expect or think about enlightenment.
      All desire is delusion and attachment. No desire is
      spiritual, even the desire for enlightenement.

      32. Desire enlightenment and think about it more than
      anything else. For only this earnestness will carry you
      through to the end.

      --contribute by Greg