Wednesday, June 19, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 20, 2002

      NONDUAL HIGHLIGHTS
      #1109 Wednesday, June 19, 2002
      Editor: Gloria Lee

      JERRY KATZ

      Bob Rose of the Meditation Society of America --
      <http://www.meditationsociety.com> -- announces the following free
      classes for people in the Philadelphia area:

      -------------------------

      Summer Meditation Classes

      We have just firmed up the dates for our summer classes.
      They will be  from 12:30 to 2pm, July 13 and August 24
      at the Easttown Library in  Berwyn, PA. This is on
      Lancaster Pike (Rt 30) on Philly's Main Line.  For all
      of you who have gone to our summer sessions at the
      library in  previous years, please be aware that they
      have moved into a new  building. If you are going to be
      in the Philly area on these dates,  please consider
      attending the classes. Books, CD's, TV shows, etc.,  are
      all fine, but the opportunity to interact live-in-person
      is a very beneficial way to learn and experience what
      meditation is all  about. I hope to see you in class!

      Peace and blessings,
      Bob Rose

      PS: The classes are free.

      ----------------

      Those in Berkeley, California, might want to join cee as she opens her
      Satsang hall this Saturday, June 22. Write me for her address and phone
      number. Meditation on Saturday mornings and videos on Wednesday
      evenings.

      cee says, "no entertainment here. just people who are done with getting
      a hit and are ready to quit."

      --jerry
      DAN BERKOW

      Hey, Greg!
      Do you mean, those kinds of experiences
      don't arise here? or over there?
      or that they don't arise anywhere at all?

      How do you know if one of them isn't
      arising?

      GREG GOODE
      Hey Dan,

      What I mean is this, which I hope matches the sense of
      Kristi's question about this stuff: In the way of speaking
      where there is said to be a very gentle core, a subtle "one"
      to whom things arise. In some cases, this "one" will no
      longer experience these particular kinds of separated-type
      thoughts/feelings/sensations. This "one" will no longer
      experience themselves as separated or cut off from people,
      objects, life, or time. They will no longer be plagued by
      experiences that scream out "I'm separate, cut off, left
      out!" So it's a very subtle locale in which these kinds of
      arising don't happen. But this very subtle core locale itself
      doesn't feel separate. That might come later ! :-) Other
      locales might experience things as cut off, but some do
      not. How would I know that? In the same conventional way
      I might be said to know that some people enjoy seeing
      Tom Cruise enjoy Tom Cruise's latest movie, but other folks
      think he can't act.

      That's what I mean.

      What I don't mean is this: That gentle core is itself an
      implied separation. Any arising at all bespeaks locality
      and separateness. As Yogi Berra might say if he sat
      through a nondualism class, "There's nonlocality, and it's
      everywhere!" Events are time and place-bound. That's why
      they're called events. So, nonarising can't be happening in
      some places and not others. In this way of speaking, it
      makes as little sense to speak of places and cores and
      "ones" as it does to speak of arisings.

      I wasn't saying anything like that!

      Love from nowhere,

      --Greg
      --------------
      DAN BERKOW
      Hi Greg,

      Nice clarification -- thanks.  And yes, looking
        into the sense of separation at a locale
        can be worthwhile, I agree, particularly in light
        of feeling/perception/thoughts of rejection, victimization,
        loneliness, and so on.  Ah, and we walk
        right along the razor's edge here, for
        is there a perceiver of the experience
        who can know whether or not that experience
        involves a sense of separation (without
        that perceiver separating)? ...

      And of course, this sense at a locale is relative,
        and it can only lead to a continuum of comparison --
        relatively nonseparate here, relatively separate
        there -- and the evaluation would differ depending
        on how the contrast is made.  I might be nonseparate
        compared with Joe's experience, but separate compared with Amy's
        experience.  I might be separate compared with yesterday's
        experience, but nonseparate compared with the day before.

      So, to be the reality "nonseparation" is the nonarising
        of which you speak in the last paragraph --

      If I'm not arising, then what for me could be considered
        as arising?  There is now only this "experience-whole"
        not divided into Joe's version, Nancy's version,
        my version yesterday - hence, no possibility
        of separation arising.  And what is contentless experience
        without a perceiver?  Not even one hand clapping.

      Yogi Berra might say, "If you know whether
        or not you feel separate, you separated."

      Indeed, as you say: when we're
        talking about what's arising, we're
        involved in contrasting one phenomenon
        with another, which means that we've separated
        this from that and we're referencing locales
        of experiencing.  Which we do, when we're
        looking at what I'm experiencing and whether
        or not I feel separated, rejected, unfairly
        victimized, etc.  And this is what we work
        with, at this locale.

      Which might be like saying, the one of no illusion
        is able to work effortlessly to relieve illusion,
        without any sense that there is something of
        which to be relieved.

      Everywhichwaylove,
      Dan

      GREG GOODE

      Hi Dan,

      Yes, looking into the locale-centered sense of separation
      can be worthwhile. As a "sense," it's an abstraction, a way
      of referring to these thoughts, feelings and sensations
      we've been speaking about. A person might have been
      feeling cut off and left out without having articulated it in
      just this way, without knowing that all this stuff has a
      name and is something that's talked about in paths and
      e-mail lists. There are techniques or yogas to address each
      modality.

      And sometimes it happens in offices. Sometimes in
      looking into this sense of separation, therapies can help. If
      a goal is to weaken or loosen the sense of separation, it
      might be helpful to strengthen it first. To integrate it and
      pull it together so that it can be better seen and
      recognized. It's like in Madhyamika meditation. When
      learning to see the emptiness of the "I", the student is first
      taught to generate the sense of "I" as clearly and strongly
      as possible. Like remembering the worst insults and
      criticisms one has received, or imagining walking very
      close to the edge of a cliff with someone who just might at
      any time push you off. Bring up this sense of "I" very
      clearly. And so sometimes this clarification process can
      take months before the student gets to the emptiness
      exercises. But at that point, the sense of "I" will be
      practiced, clear, easy to see. Then its emptiness will also
      be easier to see.

      The integration of the sense of separation is also kind of
      like those green gopher games at the county fair. You pays
      your money and gets a plastic hammer. You go over to a
      table with a lot of holes. Inside the holes are green plastic
      gophers. The game starts. A gopher pops out of a hole for a
      second and then ducks back in. Then another one pops
      out of another hole, and ducks back in. And another. You
      don't know where the next one is coming from. You're
      supposed to hit the gopher with the hammer before it
      ducks back into the hole. But they're quick and they don't
      stay long in any one place. These gophers are like the
      sense of separation. "If that danged thing would only stay
      in one place, then I could get it!"

      The relative sense of separation implies its own lack, as
      well as a locus and time in which to appear. And all this is
      phenomenal and relative in the way you mention. A lack
      here, a presence there. If it's someone's goal to get rid of it,
      then they might just keep at till it seems good enough.
      Being an abstraction, it might mean they keep at it till the
      overall feeling state feels good enough, all things
      considered, for the person to turn to some other endeavor.
      "Good enough for government work!"

      But the nonseparation in the last paragraphs in our
      messages -- this is nonlocalized, nontemporal and
      nonarising. It can't happen to anyone. If there were a
      someone to whom it happened, then it wouldn't be
      nonseparation. It is a fait accompli which never actually
      happened, and doesn't have anything to do with cliffs,
      insults or gophers!

      Popping out for lunch,

      --Greg

      JOSEPH RILEY on Hafiz

      THE MULE GOT DRUNK AND
      LOST IN HEAVEN

      The
      Mind is ever a tourist
      Wanting to touch and buy new things
      Then toss them into an already
      Filled closet.

      So I craft my words into those guides
      That will offer you something fresh
      From the Hidden’s Tavern.

      Few things are stronger than
      The mind’s need for diverse
      Experience.

      I am glad
      Not many men or women can remain
      Faithful lovers to the unreal.

      There is a kind of adultery
      That God encourages:

      Your spirit needs to leave the bed
      Of fear.

      The gross, the subtle, the mental worlds
      Become as a worthless husband.

      Women need
      To utilize their superior intelligence
      About love
      So that their hour’s legacy
      Can make us all stronger and more clement.

      Sometimes a poem happens like this one:

      The mule I sit on while I recite
      Starts off in one direction
      But then gets drunk

      And lost in
      Heaven.

      (“The Gift” – versions of Hafiz by Daniel Ladinsky)

      GENE POOLE

      NDS

      Top Ten Existential Thingies

      10  'All of this' is a construct in consciousness
      constructed of components which are resident
      in memory

      9   Memory is the record of a person who never
      was

      8   This construct finds it much more 'convenient'
      to maintain the illusion of time and space, than to
      collapse into primal nothingness; yet, in the effort
      of holding space and time, the reality of nothingness
      is never questioned, and thus the work of holding
      space and time, is seemingly vindicated.

      7   The ongoing nature of this nonexistent person
      is maintained by connecting interpretations of what
      is now happening, such interpretations being based
      upon resident memories of a nonexistent person

      8  What is now happening is the maintenance of
      the illusion of a person who is existing, by the means
      of associating memory with interpretations of what
      is happening now, which is the act of maintaining
      the illusion of a person who is happening to remember
      anything but what is actually happening.

      7  To remember what is actually happening is called
      'anamnesis', or the 'loss of amnesia'. This event of
      remembering dispels the illusion of a person (which
      is) based upon memories of events which never occurred.

      6  Upon the event of 'anamnesis', the workings of the
      universe are clearly perceived. One of these 'workings'
      is the system of compiling memories in a manner which
      seems to coherently portray an actual person existing.

      5   Upon seeing this tendency to compile memories into
      a virtual person, all issues of personhood are reduced
      to a system of rules which apply strictly to the assumptions
      of such illusory persons; and within the community of
      illusory persons, there are nonpersons who impersonally
      state to the receptors of those who hold the illusion of
      personhood to be actual, the actual truth of Being.

      4  Central to the transmissions of truth directed to
      illusory persons, is the knowledge of the nonpolar;
      that is, that there are no real persons and no false
      persons... there is only what is, and it has no opposite.

      3  Being without opposite acknowledges the reality
      of the nonpolar (also called nondual); that what does
      not exist (nonBeing), having no existence, cannot come
      into actual play, and thus only the nonpolar (Being)
      exists.

      2  Existing Being is the only self; it has experienced
      everything that has ever happened, and thus is devoid
      of individuality, aside from that which can be attributed
      to a singularity (existing Being) to which there can be
      no comparison, because only 'it' exists.

      1  Existing Being, as all of what is, and having no
      opposite, understands that within itself, are the
      separated and compartmentalized clusters of memory
      which act as though they have a life of their own;
      knowing this, and understanding that this also is
      an aspect of existing Being, compassion is born.

      GREG GOODE

      Note for the NDS archives:
      =========================

      Every once in a while, people ask about this book. It is long
      out of print. Copies are available on amazon.com and in
      the second-hand book trade. The price has gone way up. I
      have one copy somewhere, and a friend of mine here in
      NYC has 2 copies left, which he would let someone come
      over and read if they ask very nicely!

      But an update has been done. It is now available as a
      5-volume set called _HAPPINESS IS FREE - AND EASIER
      THAN YOU THINK!_. I myself haven't read this newer
      edition, but it has the endorsements of those who love the
      older book and who knew Lester personally. The new
      5-volume book is available online (and it's not cheap
      either) from www.sedona.com.

      ALAN LARUS on HarshaSatsangh

       In the land of colours

      Between the palms and cactus figs

      a man is opening his cafe.

      The boxer on his morning jog

      crossing footprints of  night refugees

      as he is closing in on

      Africa on the horizon.

      The azure sky

      The navy sea

      Children picking pretty stones

      on the shores below the mountains.

      Emerald pines form small forests

      along the narrow road

      disappearing in the heat

      like a black snake.

      leading to the birthplace of the matador,

      a headquarter of inquisition,

      where I saw her on the wall,

      in the small church

      with the old lady at the door.

      A red triangle holding her child,

      a golden triangle

      both inside a ring of fire.

      As the night arrives

      I see them both coming to life in the dark church.

      The mother holding the child in front of her

      like she wants to say:

      Look at my precious child.

      If you want to share a secret

      I am giving it away.

       BOBBY G on HarshaSatsangh

      Last Resting Place

      Grandeur is fleeting!
      Sitting under blossom shade,
      nothing left to do.

      I have been driving by the wrecking yard there for the last year and
      a half and always looked at that old Caddy.  My dad had a 49 Caddy
      that he used to drive me to school on rainy days.  He drove me to
      school in the ninth grade one rainy winter day and died an hour later.

      I saw that old hulk there three days ago with the Mimosa blossoms and
      it looked so comfortable there I went back to paint it.  I guess I
      saw it in a different "light".
      I know myself as an old person now and I wonder what I was like in my
      heyday. To be honest I feel like exactly the same person.