Sunday, June 16, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 17, 2002

      image by Gene Poole

      Sunday, June 16, 2002 - Editor: Gloria Lee
      ______

      KHEYALA on NDS

      A Father's Day Memoir

      June 16, 2002

      Driving to town with Jim and Ananda for a Father's Day
      dinner at Maria's I glanced back to see Ananda peacefully
      looking out of the window. I found myself reaching back to
      put my hand on her knee and she responded by resting
      her hand naturally on top of mine. Then suddenly flashing
      back 25 years ago, buckled into the backseat of my
      parents Oldsmobile, I saw my dad's furry arm reaching
      back for my knee, only to be met with my own small hand
      landing softly on his.

      What startled me back to this Father's Day car ride to town
      was the instant recognition of the intro to one of my dad's
      all-time favorite songs on the radio! The enchanting
      melody of Weekend in New England rushed into my whole
      being like a big wave. My eyes filled with tears as I felt the
      hugeness of my father's loving presence embracing all of
      us.
      ______

      GENE POOLE on NDS

      Consider 'ego' to be 'capability'

      Consider 'identity' to be 'preferences'

      Wrong use of capability does not call for
      diminished powers of capability-

      Wrong use of capability is initiated by identity

      If identity is rectified or purged, capability has
      no master!

      Identity 'causes' actions, but identity alone
      cannot 'do' anything; it is our ability to move
      which is called into play by the preferences
      held by identity.

      Identity is the rider; ego is the horse.

      A toxic rider will abuse his horse;
      eventually, the horse will rebel and
      throw the rider.

      Remember that ego is immunity and is a
      proper thing, not to be slighted

      Powerful ego ruled by reasonable identity
      is 'OK', because reasonable identity will
      recognize ego for what it is and will love and
      have compassion for it and nurture it...

      ***

      Preferences are acquired over time and
      form the structure we refer to as 'personality'...

      *** 'Capability' is commanded by preference ***

      To consider destroying 'capability' is foolish
      when all that is required is to unplug the
      preferences

      All of the force summoned by identity comes
      from ego; ego is the power by which identity
      enforces its whim

      Remove the whim and there is no manifestation
      of ego

      Natural ego is quiescent; manifestation of force
      is initiated by what is perceived to be inimical to:

      The continued existence of the body

      AND/OR

      Identity

      Humans have lived for millions of years and
      have seldom understood the relationship
      between the summoned force of ego

      And the summoner, the one made of preferences.

      Raw basic physical existence of living body
      requires immunity;

      The human psyche is the invisible flower of
      immunity; the _ability to differentiate_ is the
      talent of the immune system

      The 'mind' and 'awareness' and 'sense of
      separate self' are all emanations of the
      immune system;

      OR

      The body and the immune system are all
      emanations of the mind; mind is characterized
      by the talent/ability of creating distinctions:

      Mind/awareness of the transparent nature
      of reality is excited by the possibilities of
      creation; it is a constructive force

      And is sometimes called 'imagination'

      This is the important part to understand

      This fabulous powerful system; self-healing
      self-defining self-motivating self-imagining

      Hijacked and corrupted by an identity which
      is the product of millennia of deceit, ruthless
      competition, narcissism;

      Does immunity have the power to expel this
      toxic identity?

      Yes... and the self-healing power of the psyche
      is called ego.

      Don't mess with it.

      So the difference exists and is not only semantic

      Ego is not identity

      Identity exists as memory

      Memory can be rectified; this is well known
      and is the major part of psychotherapy.

      Identity is experience "remembered"
      "recorded" "verified" in an ever-growing
      pattern of certainty; eventually identity
      becomes 'crystallized' and what is called
      a rigid character structure results.

      What chance did any of us have
      as children
      when our lives were informed by
      so very many rigid character structures
      called parents teachers authority etc

      It is natural that we would emulate the
      majority of those in power

      and thus long for a 'finished' 'perfected'
      identity...

      ==Gene Poole==
      ______
      BOBBY G from HarshaSatsangh

      Dance is structured around the possible movements of the
      body and gravity. Art and beauty are visible where the
      mental can become visible through the dancer or artist.
      Patanjali was the greatiest dancer of his time according to
      Iyengar in 'Raja Yoga'. After I wrote that message to you I
      had a visual in my mind so I quickly drew it.

      dance image by Bobby G
      ______

      SHAWN from HarshaSatsangh

      one of my favorite painters

      ______

      JOHN R LOGANIS from HarshaSatsangh

      I'm jumping in the middle of this ...

      Some of these questions that devil us, like "where is consciousness",
      are all a dead end -- that is why there seems to be futility. Let's
      put a different view and get out of the box ---

      In the beginning and in the end it is very simple, our wanting to
      analyze makes it complicated.

      There are facts and
      there are ideas about the facts.

      The ideas are the stories we tell ourselves about what is going in
      the experience. The ideas are like a map, and THE MAP IS NOT THE
      TERRITORY. That's it.

      To make a clear distinction, in the theory of perception,
      the "facts" correlate with "sensation", and
      the "ideas" correlate with "perception".
      [My use of the words "sensation" and "perception" is very specific.
      In studies in Biotechnology and Human Engineering it has been
      discovered that there are over 169 specific senses each with
      characteristics which make each "sense" distinct from the others. For
      reference see L. J. Fogel, BIOTECHNOLOGY, chapter 17 as I recall.
      Further I am out of the box here as well....I note that there are
      physical senses (169 or more), and there are other subtle senses
      including emotional, mental, and yes, psychic and spiritual senses
      which are available only in states of consciousness altered from
      ordinary material or physical realities.]

      Sensation comes from some kind of "contact",
      perception comes from past experience with sensation or from learned
      experience as related by others.

      When one creates a flow chart of the perceptual networks one finds
      that in the "sensation" experience it is very simple. Contact sends a
      signal through a nerve (or some other path of least resistence); the
      signal is received by other nerves and are combined with the effects
      of other nerves from the same or other sensory nerves. The
      combinations reach areas of "awareness" in the brain.

      This is basically pretty straightforward -- then evolution rears it
      complexity. "Perception" takes place and complicates things
      enormously. How? By giving "meaning" to the experience. Survival
      mechanisms are in place which ask questions (metaphorically speaking)
      such as --

      Is this sensation dangerous or safe?
      Is this sensation desireable or undesireable?
      Is this sensation like some previous sensation or complex experience?
      What else is going on at the same time as this sensation?
      Is this familiar or something new?

      Notice the influence and filtering of the information about the
      sensation coming from previously stored information about previous
      experiences (memory). These memories can a act as conditioning
      mechanisms which can and often do distort the sensation into
      something other than what it is.

      Also note that the "memory" aspect is only a coded image of the past
      experiences -- in simple terms our simple sensation has been
      conditioned and is now an image, a map. It is this "map" which gives
      us the "meaning" in our sensation/experience -- AND THE MAP IS NOT
      THE TERRITORY.

      Most of the time we are experiencing the maps and not our direct
      experience -- and the "story" (another name for "map") begins very
      quickly due to our evolution and our desire originally for survival.

      If you are still with me thus far, I am ready to deal with the
      emptiness.

      Our search is futile because the "essential self" has recognized that
      it is dealing with maps and stories and not with reality. In Zen
      this "essential self" is called (among other things) THE UNBORN.
      Unborn because the story has not yet been added!

      The "emptiness" comes from the feeling that we are not dealing with
      reality -- and that feeling is the doorway to the breakthrough we are
      looking for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      The "futility" is the precursor to realization. We realize the
      emptiness of most of our experience -- and the reality is in entering
      the empty places.

      Be still. Be quiet.

      These are the keys. Not permanently. Ramana Maharshi tried to make
      stillness and silence permanent and nearly died for his troubles.

      Then why, Be still; Be quiet.

      Because then awareness can allow reality to appear.

      We experience, then comes the story. Let it come!
      After the story is told, there is nothing more to say or do.
      In this emptiness, in this pause, reality appears, truth appears.
      Since it is reality and truth, there is at last peace.
      Peace because This is real and not a story.

      In this Peace there is no self and yet nothing is left out, because
      It is all here and everything is included.

      This is the process...
      we experience (the fact), then comes the story (idea), we wait for
      the story to end, and then we experience the fact (reality, truth).

      If we become involved in the story -- then we must just wait for the
      story to end, and the peace returns.

      There is nothing to supress or control; the mind is not the enemy, it
      is just doing its job; and it is not complex at all.

      When we let the story end, we experience the wonder and majesty of
      Life and All, beyond our stories which lead only to complexity, fear
      and anxiety. We discover that Life really is like a river and we
      enjoy the ride instead of needing to be somewhere or another.

      It is really not hard -- we just make it hard.
      It is really easy and the truth is always really simple and clear,
      just here and now. If not here, where, and if not now, when?
      ______