Thursday, June 13, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 15, 2002

      Maiko, ©1995 by David Culton

      Maiko are apprentice Geisha and are usually in their
      early to mid-teens. The process of becoming a Geisha
      takes about five years and involves the study of many
      different forms of performance -- dance, singing, tea
      ceremony, as well as other social skills necessary to
      those in the Water Trade. The typical Western idea of
      the Geisha as prostitute is a bit off the mark and as
      with so many other aspects of Japan, the truth is more
      complex and multi-layered.

      This photograph, as all of the others, was taken without
      planning. What appears to be water spraying across the
      image is actually a spotlight illuminating cherry
      blossoms. This intense light played around within the
      lens, creating effects that could not even be seen
      clearly in the viewfinder. The exposure was about three
      seconds and truly was a lucky guess.  --David Culton

      #1103 Thursday June 13

      Top of the Food Chain

      Humans on this planet believe they're at the "top of the
      food chain", meaning that they can eat anything they
      want, but nothing can eat them (unless they're somehow
      accidentally subdued, by a crazed cannibal, lion, tiger,
      shark, pack of wolverines, murder of insane crows,
      gaggle of saber-toothed geese, etc.)

      But, they are not at the top of the food chain, really.
      There is a higher creature that consumes them, bit by
      bit, daily, quite unnoticeably, and they allow it, enjoy
      it, derive pleasure from it (the act of being consumed),
      and even seek out suitable dining partners, by whom to
      be eaten.

      Do you get it yet?

      The "top of the food chain" argument has to do with
      eating bodily flesh, to keep the body alive, and is
      governed by genetic priorities - life, at all cost. As
      far as that simplistic viewpoint goes, it is quite
      correct. Humans CAN eat the bodies of all organic life
      on this planet (if they so choose, and it's "tasty
      enough"), yet no other organic life can eat them (if
      they don't allow it).

      Do you get it yet? Ok, a hint.

      How many times have you heard something like: "Man, is
      not his body." or "Man is IN the world, but not OF the
      world." These, and the many other possible examples,
      point to a NEW understanding of what truly is a "man".
      In the physical world, he is the "top of the food
      chain". In the mental world of understanding, he is at
      the bottom - hell, he is UNDER the bottom; he hasn't
      even climbed up to the bottom, AND he's sinking fast.

      This is the true situation of what truly is a "man" -
      born into a world of other men who have NOT a clue as to
      their true situation, who will live out their days
      scratching and clawing for some meager existence, while
      being unnoticeably gnawed to death by a creature, the
      existence of which they have no idea.

      Do you get it yet? Or, are you arguing loudly with this
      painfully long drawn-out setup?

      Ok, another hint.

      The largest living organism currently known to exist on
      this planet, is the Collective Mind of Man - Global
      Human Consciousness - and it is the source of Life's
      undisturbed Infinite Comment, and the reality behind the
      notion of "cosmic truth".

      The only tool man has to defend himself, in the mental
      world of understanding, against the Collective, is his
      language, his speech, his thought, his ideas, his mind.
      That is his only tool. Arms and legs and teeth and
      muscles will not help him discover the truth about his
      situation, nor will they help him extricate himself from
      that condition, once discovered.

      Language is that which is BOTH his primary tool, and
      chief competitor, in the DNA-based, genetic-based,
      striving to "live at all cost".

      And the Common Human Organism, which is the home of
      Language, is that creature that is on a seek-and-destroy
      mission, hunting all the weak and retarded individuals,
      culling them out from the pack, and filling them with
      chit-chat, lowering standards of thinking to the point
      that all intellectual defences are down, and it can be
      sucked into the greater beast.

      ----------Ha! (get it?)

      from HarshaSatsangh

      I Light up all the lights

      People speak of visions and white lights and spiritual
      and psychic experiences. These are beautiful things and
      indications of meditative practices at some time.

      Those who know the source that lights all experiences,
      spiritual and otherwise, remain unmoved by such

      Advaita Vedanta declares without compromise. Atman Is
      Brhaman! Thou are That!

      With what white light or spiritual experience shall I
      now be impressed?

      Once Sri Ramana was asked about traveling to different
      planes and having visions.

      The Sage of Arunachala asked the questioner something
      like, "What are you experiencing now and how is it

      All techniques fall at the feet of the Sage and become

      from Along The Way list:

      You are the space which never moves and never travels.
      Inner and outer space is due only to name and form.
      Remove this form from mind by removing attachment to any
      object, thought, or action.

      - Papaji

      This quotation is from: "The Truth Is" Sri H.W.L. Poonja
      Yudhishtara, 1995

      from SeeWhatIs list

      An embroidery of voids in the Void

      And we, inhabitants of the great coral of the Cosmos,
      believe the atom (which still we cannot see) to be full matter,
      whereas, it too, like everything else, is but an embroidery of voids in
      the Void,
      and we give the name of being, dense and even eternal, to that dance of
      that infinite extension that is identified with absolute Nothingness
      and that spins from its own non-being the illusion of everything.

           Umberto Eco
           The Island of the Day Before

      Umberto Eco authored the bestselling novel "The Name of the Rose"

      from Awakening into Awareness Ezine

      Hunger for Reality
      There is an urge within each of us
      driving us deeper into the heart of Life...
      a hunger for That which is essential.

      Trust this impulse.
      It is Reality guiding you
      toward Itself.

      Understanding the Finite and Infinite
      The finite
      is nothing other than
      the Infinite
      narrowly defined.

      If Reality is one complete
      undivided and unbroken Whole,
      then everything you see
      is a manifestation of That
      which is Real and True.

      severs the unconscious
      and habitual identification
      with the contents of consciousness.

      It is for this reason that
      paying attention is enough.

      Mindful attention creates
      an energetic openness
      through which Insight
      and Recognition arise.

      Honor Your Gifts
      Honor your gifts,
      and you honor the Source
      from which they arise.

      Honor this Source,
      and you will serve others.

                              * * * * *

      You may receive copies of Metta's Reflections on a daily
      or weekly basis by subscribing to AIA's "In This Moment"
      mailing list: http://awakening.net/Moment.html

            Daily:  mailto:AIA@...?Subject=ITMDaily
            Weekly: mailto:AIA@...?Subject=ITMWeekly

      from Alice's Restaurant list

      I won a gift of rare, expensive Baieido incense, from
      David Oller of the Alice's Restaurant list, and this is
      my note telling him I received the gift:

      Dear David and List,

      I received the Koh En aloeswood incense. Thank you.

      At the post office I got to talking to the girl who
      works there and I mentioned it was incense. She showed
      an interest and turns out she is a Buddhist and enjoys
      incense. There's a large Buddhist population in Halifax,
      Nova Scotia. So I opened the package in front of her.
      The incense was contained in a dark brown cardboard box.
      Inside the brown box was an attractive, well-constructed
      wooden box. I opened the wooden box and there was the
      bundle of incense sticks, well-wrapped. It arrived in
      perfect condition.

      This incense is spicy with a substantial note that I
      don't know how to describe. It is intoxicating. Very
      rich, swirling, heady. Both myself and this girl I'd
      never met, perhaps she was 18, took deep breaths and
      looked at each other. Her face glowed red with life.
      Probably mine did too. We smiled at each spontaneously
      with surprise and awe. The world stopped, I assure you.
      The experience was such a flash of intimacy, that if she
      ain't 18, I could  be in big trouble. Meanwhile there's
      this elderly lady  behind me waiting to be served, half
      in a huff, half curious. I gave my teenage partner a
      stick of incense and left.

      After a while I was settled at home and lit a stick.
      What else could I say? It's a delightful, elevating
      incense in a class of its own. I've never known anything
      like it. I'm looking forward to getting to know her --
      the incense, that is -- much better.