Wednesday, June 12, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 14, 2002
      This edition of the Highlights brought to you by

      Graphic created by Gene Poole

      #1102 - Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - Home: <http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm>

      SU GANDOLF

      Journal notes on Andrew Cohen appearance

      Andrew Cohen
      Day 1 – June 12, 2002 New York City

      Enlightenment is a radical change in the interpretation
      of  experience.

      We are NOT on an never-ending round of birth and death.
      Evolution is  occurring. This was not known in ancient
      India. Just because  something hasn't happened yet,
      doesn't mean it won't.

      Life has meaning, desire for awakening is good. There is
      no time to  change. (If not now, when?)
      Anti-determinism. Anti-all-is-leila. Definition of
      enlightenment must include dynamic engagement with life.

      Me: Live as if you were enlightened. Look deeply and ask
      what that  means, listen to the answer, act accordingly.
      (Does it matter whether  enlightenment matters or not?)

      A.C. subtext: it has nothing to do with my method, but I
      have one and  I think it's the best one out there. Ha,
      ha. A.C. text: "buy my  book!"

      On having a teacher? –(Interpretation) You won't be
      harmed by a "bad"  one, the act of trust in a teacher is
      the same act of trust in "life"  that is required for
      enlightenment. What matters is wanting it more  than you
      want anything else.

      Transmission: Energized, although he actually pointed
      this out, so I  cannot be 100% sure there is not "power
      of suggestion" operating. He  mainly stayed focused on
      the center of the not-terribly large room,  where I
      happened to be sitting, so I had the impression he was
      looking at me a lot. Mainly looking skeptical, I'm sure,
      though I was  certainly interested and I'm sure I
      laughed a few times. Toward the  end, I found myself
      nodding my head more than once, his focus seemed  to
      widen and he took about seven people's questions. From
      my  perspective, the bulk of his dynamism came during
      the talk and not  during the question period. Is that
      because his focus was not on me  personally? Or was I
      picking up on a "well, I guess I have to take
      questions, go ahead" energy? He did ask people not to
      ask him about  diet and things, to keep it deep.
      Subjectively, I didn't have a sense  of his going deeper
      with people. Was I distracted by the question in  my own
      mind?

      Energy lasted when I got home, stayed up later than
      usual, not tired  yet today. Energy head-centered, not
      heart-centered -- upper chakras  (I've been having
      sensations here for a while, however). Sense of
      clarity.

      My question, my wariness, is about whether desire for
      awakening is  really different from any desire. I think
      he would say yes, that it's  my ego telling me it
      doesn't matter.

      Best thing: good food afterward, and I was hungry.
      Little veggie  wraps, dairy and non-dairy, chips and
      salsa (spicy), brownies,  strawberries.

      Also, running into a classmate of mine from college in
      Ohio I hadn't  seen in 13 years. Funny thing was, I was
      talking with the woman next  to me before the show (the
      teaching?), and she was like, "doesn't  everybody here
      look familiar, like you know them?" I laughed and  said,
      well, no, but hey, that's cool, let her have her trip,
      you  know. Then a couple minutes later I realized I
      recognized a woman in  a seat in the front row. She
      turned around, our eyes met, I called  out her
      name--that surprised her since she didn't remember mine
      (if  she ever knew it!). There was a genuine interest
      there between us,  which was nice, and I hope to
      correspond with her. A real live  person, not a
      cybernetic illusion! Ha, ha.

      KEES SCHREUDERS

      Dear 'Beloveds' This time Amigo's theme is 'True Love'
      see: http://www.ods.nl/am1gos

      -------  Is it 'mission impossible' to indicate Love in
      words? You can decide that for yourselves after reading
      this issue.

      At a certain moment Belle said: 'Well - love is
      feminine, whether you like it or not (just look it up in
      the dictionary). If the subject is true Love/love, you
      have to write it as she.' So, who am I to contradict
      that? In this issue you will find among others
      contributions from Jan van Delden, Francis Lucille,
      Vijai Shankar, Alexander Smit, Nisargadatta, Hans
      Laurentius, Jan Koehoorn, Jean Klein and more.

      MICHAEL READ

      there is unbounded peace
      make no mistake about it - it is not something else

      no one can give it to you
      you can only open up to it - with some effort

      finding it may not seem very easy
      there are a lot of distractions - after all

      it is all illusion you know
      even the unbounded peace - though it is here

      you are what you seek and that's some trick
      who thought that up? - hahaha and hohoho!

      GENE POOLE

      Even tho it is a bit off topic:

      Hot Parenting Tips

      _1  Connect and stay connected
      with your children:

      Connection is the most valuable
      gift and skill to impart

      Connection must be value-neutral
      (unconditional)

      Receptivity is the greatest part
      of connection

      Without ongoing receptivity,
      communication becomes a
      commodity of trade; and from
      this skewed place, comes the
      supposed value of bargaining
      for changes in behaviour

      Connection is felt in the heart
      and perceived in awareness;
      if connection is strained or
      absent, this is felt as growing
      distress

      With connection, there is no
      real doubt of acceptance;
      even in conflict, the foundation
      for continued relationship is
      there

      Connection as an ongoing
      state, dispels the assumption
      of separateness; a child who
      lives in connection, assumes
      the Universe as extended
      family

      _2 Errors to avoid:

      Always apologize for errors

      Avoid becoming defensive

      Do not reserve mealtime as
      the daily catchup for all sins
      and criticism; indigestion will
      become pervasive and lead
      to chronic gastroenteritis,
      ulcers, and colitis; This is
      a very serious matter

      If you pull power trips on
      your children, you can expect
      the same in return

      If you bullshit your children,
      you can expect the same
      in return

      If you deceive your children,
      you can expect the same in
      return

      _3  Remember how you viewed
      and experienced your own parents;
      keep your earlier promises that you
      'would never treat your own children
      that way'

      _4  Discipline yourself to see your children
      as the kind of people whom you most
      admire; each one is potentially a Thomas
      Merton, Ramana, or Hitler

      _5  Learn deeply of the arts of folk-healing

      Healing with foods

      Healing with herbs

      Healing with clay, water, sun, and air

      _6  Never be afraid to show your
      feelings; but temper your display with
      your hard-won adult wisdom.

      (Keep in mind the adage that a
      wise person who argues with an
      idiot becomes instantly, an idiot)

      VIORICA WEISSMAN

      from Be As You Are, by David Godman

      Question: Is the world created for happiness or misery?

      Sri Ramana Maharshi: Creation is neither good nor bad;
      it is as it  is. It is the human mind which puts all
      sorts of constructions on  it, seeing things from its
      own angle and interpreting them to suit  its own
      interests. A woman is just a woman, but one mind calls
      her 'mother' another 'sister' and still another 'aunt'
      and so  on. Men love women, hate snakes, and are
      indifferent to the grass  and stones by the roadside.
      These value-judgements are the cause of  all the misery
      in the world. Creation is like a peepul tree; birds
      come and eat its fruit, or take shelter under its
      branches, men cool  themselves in its shade, but some
      may hang themselves on it. Yet the  tree continues to
      lead its quiet life, unconcerned with and unaware  of
      all the uses it is put to.

      It is the human mind that creates its own difficulties
      and then  cries for help. Is God so partial as to give
      peace to one person and  sorrow to another? In creation
      there is room for everything, but man  refuses to see
      the good, the healthy and the beautiful. Instead, he
      goes on whining, like the hungry man who sits besides
      the tasty dish  and who, instead of stretching out his
      hand to satisfy his hunger,  goes on lamenting, 'Whose
      fault is it, God's or man's?'

      It is true that we are not bound and that the real Self
      has no  bondage. It is true that you will eventually go
      back to your source.  But meanwhile, if you commit sins,
      as you call them, you will have  to face the
      consequences of such sins. You cannot escape them. If a
      man beats you, then, can you say, 'I am free, I am not
      bound by  these beatings and I don't feel any pain. Let
      him beat on'? If you  can feel like that, you can go on
      doing what you like. What is the  use of merely saying
      with your lips 'I am free'?

      GENE POOLE

      Very nice picture story:

      <http://www.crosslink.net/~stodart/freeeasy.html>