Tuesday, June 11, 2002

  • Michael Read
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 13, 2002

      The Nondual Highlights

      Highlights Issue #1101

      Tuesday, June 11, 2002

      Today's Highlights Compiled, Edited, and Designed
      by
      Michael Read

      Highlights Home Page: <http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm>

      In NondualitySalon@y..., "Kheyala" wrote:

      About Suffering

      For me, it always boils down to this:

      I only suffer when I have misinterpreted the meaning of some
      circumstance that has come to my attention.  The suffering
      intensifies dramatically when I react to my misinterpretation by flat-
      out denying (and ignoring) what is obviously right in my face or by
      employing various means of getting rid of the circumstance (which was
      never the cause of the suffering to begin with) because I don't want
      it to be so!

      Summed up, the root cause of my suffering has always been my own
      misunderstanding or misinterpretation of the data in front of me; it
      has never been whatever data that was, no matter how traumatic it has
      appeared to be.

      Therefore, all of my suffering has been based in the false.

      As soon as the false is taken to be the truth, I abandon my enormous
      capacity to be alert, aware, and super-sensitive to Life....the very
      qualities that allow me to respond to It, to actively participate in
      It, to love It, and to fully enjoy It.  The experience of being lost
      and blinded by the great fog becomes more and more miserable as my
      snowballing false perceptions cause me to stomp all over and trash
      the most precious and tender aspects of myself and others until at
      last my own firelight of pure awareness ("Oh my God!  What am I
      doing???") burns a hole right through the fog, allowing me at once to
      see with full clarity the error of my original misperception,
      revealing that however the circumstance (that triggered the whole
      dark charade) happened to appear, it was actually, in reality, an
      expression of Life that was, itself, more perfect in more ways, on
      more levels, than I could ever possibly hope to conceive....leaving
      me humbly in awe of the whole divine and also completely natural
      unfolding.

      GuruRatings@y..., "jodyrrr" wrote:

      My guru basically left me to my own devices with the mantra
      he gave.  His advice is always the same.  Pay your bills.
      Don't party too much.  Restrain yourself some.  Meditate.
      Pray to the Lord and come every Sunday.

      He offers his time generously but keeps the personal
      relationship to a minimum.

      He always gives the same, somewhat boring lectures along
      with his gentle advice and admonishments.  I'm convinced he's
      a great bhakta saint, but to many he's just a cute little
      village man from West Bengal presently living in California.

      His satsang is small because he doesn't allow projection,
      and he doesn't perform psychotherapy.  That filters
      out everyone except the sincere who already have or develop a
      liking for the teachings of Ramakrishna and his disciples.

      He leaves the therapy to the therapists while he gently points
      you in the direction of understanding.  In my book that makes
      him an ideal guru.

      Illuminata@y..., Mace Mealer wrote:

             Reading this is dangerous,
             this wild heart knows few limits,
             so for safety's sake,
             turn your mind to other pursuits,
             before you are tempted to contemplate
             the power of these few words.

      Avalance in a Teacup

            You know,
            how when you're
            drinking something
            in a glass or cup
            with ice in it,
            and as you tip it up
            the ice collapses
            causing whats inside
            to gush out
            in your face,
            and run down your front.
            Well, this is how
            awakening happens,
            and whenever
            this occurs,
            you'll remember
            what was written here,
            think of me me smiling,
            and even perhaps
            begin to understand
            the power of words.

      Yearning@y..., "lastrainhome"  wrote:
      As long as we believe that that-which-we-are is objective,

      As long as we think that there could be something objective in us,

      As long as we do not find laughable the idea that there could
      anything whatever objective in what we are,

      As long as we say the word "I" with the idea that I could be any kind
      of entity,

      As long as it is not invulnerable-I, I-untouchable, I-unnameable, I-
      incnceivable which is acting directly,

      We are bound.

      Because bondage is only identification with a phenonomenal object,
      and because identification is precisely this idea that this-which-we-
      are is an object, psychic or somatic.

      Released from this conditioned idea of our personal objective
      existence,

      We are FREE.

      Wei Wu Wei

      Yearning@y..., "Tykal49"  wrote: