Wednesday, June 5, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2002

      Image by Gene Poole

      #1095 - Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - Edited by Jerry - Home: http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      MARALENA

      "If you really want to know your mind, the body will
      always give you a truthful reflection, so look at the
      emotion or rather "feel" it in your body. If there is
      an apparent conflict between them, the thought will be
      the lie, the emotion will be the truth. Not the
      ultimate truth of who you are, but the relative truth of
       your state of mind at the time." ~ Eckhart Tolle (The
      Power of Now)

      This is book, "The Power of Now", along with my regular
      Sufi Studies is my current books at hand. I was
      wondering what "book" is sitting on your nightstands or
      end tables at home ... adding to your "Now"?

      I love Nonduality Salon. I am very happy to be a part of
       this wonderful community. Thank you for accepting me
      here.

      SU GANDOLF

      These are the books in the backpack: being
      bodies--buddhist women on the paradox of embodiment;
      Fighting Fit--boxing workouts techniques and sparring;
      and A Writer's Workbook.

      Here is quote by Linda Ruth Cutts (from being bodies)
      that your Tolle quote inspired me to copy here:

      "...I went into the zendo and tried to speak about Dogen
       Zenji and Zen. If you're a nursing mother, various
      hormones get secreted that make you feel completely
      relaxed, like a big cow, which is just what you're
      supposed to be. So I had what a friend calls "milk
      mind." You can't really put two and two together. A cow
      doesn't give the best Dharma talk. I fumbled, I
      couldn't remember what I was going to say and it was
      very embarrassing. I was later chastised: "If you're
      going to give a talk at Tassajara, and the guests are
      there, you should prepare..." Many years later I
      realized that if I had gone to the zendo and said, "I
      just finished nursing my baby, and now I'd like to tell
      you about how I love zazen. And aren't we all happy to
      be here"-- if I had spoken the truth--this is who I am,
      this is what I'm doing, I am a nursing mother--if I had
      spoken authentically from where I was, without trying
      to be somebody else, without trying to be a Zen
      Teacher, it would have been fine. But I was pretending
      to be something different. I didn't confess who I was.
      It's not that you have to dig down to your deepest
      darkest most horrible secrets and express them at every
      moment, it's just a matter of looking at who you are
      and what's going on, and speaking from there. And when
      you do, it's such a relief to everybody around you, and
      to yourself, too."

      Do you have a felt sense of your current state of mind
      as reflected in bodily-felt "emotion"?--in other words,
      do you have access to this "realtive truth of your
      state of mind" that Tolle suggests is available through
      attention? I'd be interested in anyone that can speak
      to this, from that place...

      JERRY

      Last night saw the movie Life as a House. Great
      expression of love and humor. It's a very moving and
      inspirational movie. Very funny, too. Made me aware of
      the 'house' I'm living in.

      NINA

      Jerry, I saw Life as a House a while back. I laughed
      when I saw that  you mentioned it in reply to Maralena's
      post about finding the state  of one's mind through
      attention to what is going on in the body. I  laughed
      because when I saw Life as a House, I bawled through the
       entire second half. I'm not talking a few squirts of
      saline from the  old tear ducts. I'm talking buckets of
      liquid, so much so that I was  dehydrated for days
      afterwards, so much so that my husband had to  change
      his shirt, so much so that at one point I was drowning
      in  fluid and began to gag to clear the air passage.
      Great gasping  wretched keening! Nearly puked three
      times, had my head hanging over  the edge of the bed and
      all. Left me with a giant hangover. Good  grief.

      I did, however, really dig the scene where the main guy,
      a model- builder for an architect, went on a rampage and
      destroyed 20 years of  models he had built. Hurrah!

      Image contributed by John Metzger

      FIRECEREMONY
      from Live Journal

      I have zero intelligence when it comes to romantic love
      and I'm an absolute doofus about it.

      I fell more easily in love with ideas than ppl, ppl
      didn't count till I was long into my teens and at that
      time I couldn't understand why these idiots were
      attracted to each other. Scrap that, they deserved each
      other, they were all small and narrow minded, I had
      nothing to do with them and they had nothing to do with
      me.

      Yup, cynical me.

      A neighbor in Rainy Town (oh that perfect place for old
      cynics) correctly identified me as a cynic on first
      meeting and never let me forget that she saw I was a
      cynic from the get go.

      But tonight feels like a good night to be cynical and
      say it out loud. :)

      What I did today:

      Vacuum cleaned the house and washed the bathrooms. Of
      course Susee managed to soil one floor a few hours after
      I finished.

      Ate dinner.

      Wrote a lot, something which surprisingly turned into a
      story with an ending. I'll edit tomorrow instead.

      More cynicism:

      A friend called and we'll meet up to go to the HS
      reunion on Sat. We also agreed to do hiking day trips
      during the summer so that'll be a nice way of getting
      out more. Wow, between that and the meetings, I'm
      actually on the verge of getting *GASP* that thing which
      is called "a life". What will happen next ? I may do
      like the trolls of old and crack at the light of dawn.
      :)

      My friend also asked me along on a 11 day jaunt across
      the mountains in the central massif together with some
      other experienced hikers. No. I've never been in the
      mountains for more than day at a time and that much time
      away from any comp would have me in serious withdrawal
      after a few days. She agreed that a few 3 day trips
      would be a better way to build experience than suddenly
      11 days in the mountains. Still, it would be nice to
      become a more experienced hiker so I could join them for
      longer trips. It would be nice to spend that much time
      in the mountains, I have been kind of dreaming about it
      for some time now.

      A lab mate of mine went with her boyfriend for a 6 day
      trip in the mountains. Before the trip she bought 6
      bottles of red wine. Afterwards she told me those were
      the only way she had survived the trip, even though they
      were damn heavy to carry. Each day when all that
      mountain air and free nature sucked, she looked forward
      to pitching the tent up in the evening, sit down while
      her b/f made dinner and start on the wine. By the end of
      each evening she was well sloshed and too tired to care
      that there was another 6 hours of hiking to be done the
      next day. She was looking forward to the next bottle of
      wine. :) Not exactly a mountain trip I would recommend,
      but I can understand her sudden withdrawal from
      civilization and annoyance of nature in general when it
      all got to be too much.

      Norwegians do a lot of hiking and crossing the central
      massif is rumored to be one of the best ways of spending
      a holiday. Some do it, some don't, but those who haven't
      are kind of embarassed about it. I haven't done it yet
      and I still dream about doing it. The thing is, when you
      place internet addicted geeks or lab rats like my friend
      and I suddenly out into a massive no holds barred
      nature, we're talking no houses, no restaurants, no
      cafes, no toilets, no people, no computers, no roads for
      days of travel here, without warning or prior
      preparation, that can probably be very damaging. :)

      I pride myself in knowing I'm well traveled, urbanly
      trained and fearless enough to be able to go to any
      place in the civilized world within 24h should the need
      arise. Beijing, Mexico City, Frankfurt, name the
      building and address and I'd be able to get there no
      problem even if I don't know the language of the place.

      However, that's the civilized world. When it comes to
      the uncivilized world, the wilderness, I'm as lost as a
      lab reared monkey suddenly let back into the jungle. I
      don't know how to make a camp fire, I barely know how to
      pitch a tent. In a real jungle, I wouldn't last an hour
      on my own.

      But as with all animals reared in captivity, the
      curiosity of what's out there and the idea of the
      wilderness, remains and doesn't vanish just like that,
      even if the animal knows she's not well adjusted to the
      wilderness at all.

      Hmmm.... I'm not even sure I want to get out into the
      wilderness before I can get bring the net and
      preferrably a game or two as well with me. And maybe
      some music too. Me indoors only geek, you Jane.

      Oh and btw, someone commented on tv today that "why
      would we want to genetically engineer ppl for better
      health, physical strength, perfect looks and all the
      other silly stuff we seem bent to engineer for when we
      rather ought to engineer ppl who are capable of being
      more loving, compassionate, gentle and caring instead?"

      I thought that was such a great take on it. I've never
      heard anyone say anything like that before. The thing
      is... traits such as positive self confidence,
      compassion, gentleness and balanced mental health seem
      to be so unimportant in so many ppl's eyes... I guess
      fear drives this world too much, too bad it's ruining
      it. What can I say ? Bloody wanker cowards !

      OK, that's enough cynicism for one night.

      Image contributed by Al Larus