Monday, June 3, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2002

      #1093 - Monday, June 3, 2002 - Edited by Jerry - Home: http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      All posts from NDS list

      HEIDI

      Nonduality owes its ancestry to these guys. This is a
      romping good story, if you've got the time and
      inclination to discover it for yourself.

      http://home.ican.net/~arandall/Indiscernibles/

      ROGER ISAACS

      More at http://www.parmenides.com

      GENE POOLE

      I was first introduced to Parmenides through a novel by
      Phillip K Dick, entitled VALIS. I was intrigued enough
      to do some library research (pre-internet days) , most
      of which material can now be found on the web.

      Here are some links...

      From The Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy:

      <http://www.utm.edu/research/iep/p/parmenid.htm>

      An excellent collection of links from about.com:

      <http://ancienthistory.about.com/cs/parmenides/>

      For the adventurous, here are some specific links which
      may actually lure someone into reading some of the
      excellent novels by Phillip K Dick:

      VALIS:

      Paperback - 241 pages Reissue edition (July 1991)
      Vintage Books; ISBN: 0679734465

      The first of Dick's three final novels (the others are
      _Divine Invasion_ and _The Transmigration of Timothy
      Archer_). Known as science fiction only for lack of a
      better category, "VALIS" takes place in our world and
      may even be semi-autobiographical. It is a fool's search
      for god, who turns out to be a virus, a joke, and a
      mental hologram transmitted from an orbiting satellite.

      <http://fusionanomaly.net/valis.html>

      Cybernetic Transcendence in VALIS and Elsewhere:

      <http://www.uweb.ucsb.edu/~freuden/essay.html>

      For those who delight in decoding da code...

      <http://www.geocities.com/pkdlw/tcs.html>

      (Beware of the several spelling errors in this page...
      'casual' should be 'causal', etc)

      An interview with PK Dick:

      "Philip K. Dick - How To Build A Universe That Doesn't
      Fall Apart Two Days Later"

      <http://www.geocities.com/pkdlw/howtobuild.html>

      My experience reading my first PK Dick novel was
      entirely consistent with what I now 'understand' as
      'nondual realization'; this was brought about by reading
      UBIK, in 1975, while I was attending college.

      <http://www.philipkdick.com/main.htm>

      Just a note to those who have lost a cat or a loved one
      to death; VALIS may have special meaning.

      Phil Dick died in 1982.

      If you can find any of his books in their earlier
      editions, they are all collectors items, and can be sold
      for substantial price.

      If the reader is under the impression that I am
      suggesting that there is some benefit to be gained by
      reading the works of PK Dick, I confess that to be the
      case.

      And BTW, click here to see the Yahoo! page which
      promotes the new upcoming soon to be released film
      'Minority Report', which is adapted from (of all
      things!), a novella by Phil Dick:

      <http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/minorityreport.html>

      ==Gene Poole==

      " It is all alive "

      DAVID HODGES

      Frame from Waking Life

      Last night I rented a new DVD called "Waking Life"
      Waking Life is a movie  that explores the nature of
      dream and reality. I had heard it described to  me as a
      "Jungian" movie but it isn't that. It is a NonDual
      movie. It pushes  and pushes towards the dissolving of
      boundaries. At one point the lead  character - who is
      dreaming - is in a theater, watching a movie in which
      the two characters discuss the nature of film and
      reality and then turn  into clouds!

      Explore the website here:
      http://www.wakinglifemovie.com/

      The question the main character pursues throughout the
      movie is, "How can I  wake up?" He discovers, you see,
      that he is in a dream and every time he  wakes up he is
      dreaming that he woke up.

      Oh yes, this film is an animated movie. Watching the
      sheer beauty of the  animation always gives us something
      wonderful to look at and gives the film  maker a great
      deal of creative license to illustrate the ideas the
      characters are presenting. The film was shot on a
      digital video camera,  then animators converted every
      frame to animation, preserving the sound  track but
      having a great deal of fun with the images themselves.

      At the end, the main character encounters a man playing
      pinball who, it  turns out, is the director of the film.
      The director starts to tell a story  from the life of
      P.K. Dick and then the director says, "Well, if you
      really  want to wake up, why don't you?" At which point
      the hero find himself  outside his childhood home where
      he slowly, gently lifts into the sky and  floats off,
      higher and higher.

      Waking Life is a movie that stays with you.

      This morning I woke up and lay in bed for a while. It
      was Monday. I thought  of all I had to do: get up, wash
      face, take vitamins, make coffee, defrost  bagel, go
      downstairs and get paper, eat breakfast and read paper,
      shower,  shave, get dressed, and meet the workday. It
      seemed infinitely wearisome.  But then I finally did get
      up and the day started to unreel on its own  accord.
      Surprises kept happening. I had cereal instead of a
      bagel. I did  last night's dishes before getting the
      paper. I found time to do a bit of  yoga to stretch my
      aching back.

      In other words, the day unreeled just like a dream,
      beyond volition. This  is waking life. Things just keep
      happening. There is no need to keep up an  illusion of
      control, nor is there a need to keep up an illusion that
      it is  happening to anyone in particular. Yes, you
      continue to feel emotions and  experience things like
      pain and pleasure, loneliness and happiness,  backaches
      and heartaches, but these are just happening too and
      will keep on  unreeling with everything else. If you
      watch long enough they all turn into  clouds in the end.

      JOHN METZGER

      Open Presence As a concept, enlightenment is elusive.
      One must let it be 'without knowing.'

      By Toni Packer

      From "The Wonder of Presence" by Toni Packer. (c) 2002
      by Toni Packer. By arrangement with Shambhala
      Publications, Inc., Boston, www.shambhala.com.

      Someone asked, "Does it really matter if we 'wake up' or
       not?"

      A little while ago I took a walk up a hill. What a
      delightful morning! Warmth and coolness were present at
      the same time. Gentleness pervaded the air, and birds
      were singing everywhere. Wet, sodden shoes passed by the
       croaking pond where tiny little skimmers crisscrossed
      back and forth on the surface of the water, leaving
      their ever so delicate tracks. On the big upper field
      several deer were grazing. Looking up at the intruder,
      their long white tails twitched a little as we looked at
       each other. Then they kept on grazing. Colors dotted
      the  sun-drenched field, and blooming grasses were
      swaying in  the breeze. The fragrance of wild roses
      filled the air.  If you had walked along with me this
      beautiful morning,  we both would have laughed at the
      question whether it  matters if we wake up or not.

      Had we been caught up in anger, worry or frustration, we
       wouldn't have laughed. We would not have seen the
      lovely  vibrant field. We have so many questions. Whence
      do they  arise? Are there deeper motives to our
      question? Can we  wonder about it and look? Someone
      asked , "Is there such  a thing as ultimate, complete
      and total enlightenment?"  Are we really asking, "If
      there is such a thing, can I  get it?"

      Where does wondering about complete and total
      enlightenment come from? And from where does wanting it
      arise? And the frustration about not getting it? Doesn't
       it all come our of our deep inner discontent with
      ourselves, with others, and with the world? Sometimes we
       can't even say what it is that causes it; we just feel
      painfully out of sync. There is an inner
      meaninglessness, a feeling of hollow emptiness. Not the
      emptiness of vast open space, but a feeling of nothing
      of value inside, feeling lonely, cut off from happiness
      and alienated from people. There may be the fear of
      abandonment, or feeling unloved. All of these things are
       going on in human beings.

      Out of the desire to fill up the inner depletion and
      find lasting contentment may come questions about
      enlightenment, and with them the yearning to find
      meaning and not feel isolated from everything and
      everyone. The brain creates endless concepts and
      fantasies to alleviate the inner suffering.

      If we become increasingly transparent to these movements
       of thought and feeling, we will realize that inner pain
       is not dissolved by conventional ways of dealing with
      it, materially or spiritually. Money, position,
      acquisitions or relationships have not brought lasting
      contentment. Religions beliefs may provide illusions of
      security and support, but for many of us they simply
      have not worked. We have wandered from one belief system
       to another, attracted by promises of salvation,
      liberation, or enlightenment, but real hunger for truth
      and clarity can be stilled only with genuine food. The
      discursive mind is capable of throwing up doubts and
      skeptical questions at any time. Maybe we suddenly find
      ourselves in quiet openness, a profound stillness
      without any feeling of lack. Then thought comes in and
      begins to wonder: "Will this last? Can I get it back?
      Was it real? Was this enlightenment or is there more? It
       doesn't seem enough." Thinking about a past moment of
      freedom immediately sows the seeds of doubt by asking,
      "Is this all there is? It can't be! There must be a more
       convincing experience than what I just had!" Thoughts
      grow like clinging vines that choke the living presence.
       Truly being here is being unknown, unknowable,
      unadorned. Being here is absence of doubting or
      affirming thoughts about myself. It is the absence of
      me! Thoughts that arise about me are just thoughts, with
       their enormous power to obscure clarity.

      Is it our task to find out whether or not there is total
       and complete enlightenment like the Buddha proclaimed?
      I  always liked the Buddha's sayings: "I truly attained
      nothing from complete, unexcelled enlightenment, and
      that is why it is called complete, unexcelled
      enlightenment." No-thing, no one to attain it, spaceless
       space, no one there to occupy it. Just alive presence
      with the evening star in the sky. Dying to all the stuff
       imagined and clung to about oneself - what I am, what I
       was, what I will be, what I could be, should be...

      Can we see all concepts as concepts with deepening
      clarity and wisdom? Not immediately lurching toward
      something promised in the future that has its sole
      existence in thought? Can we clearly discern what
      constitutes thinking and what is actually present right
      here without needing to think it? Can we discern it
      effortlessly?

      The open windows, fresh air touching the skin, bright
      sunshine everywhere, all kinds of twittering sounds,
      crows calling and breathing, pulsating life! Caw, caw,
      caw, caw...Sensations throughout the body, breathing,
      beholding it, not the words, but the aliveness of it
      all. Can we realize now that "complete unexcelled
      enlightenment" is a concept?

      You may sincerely object, "How can I know for sure that
      enlightenment is just a concept? Maybe it is real. Lots
      of enlightened teachers have told and written about it.
      So - shall we then ask together: "What is enlightenment
      beyond all concepts?"

      Let us delve profoundly into this question, not asking
      for other people's descriptions of experiences, not
      looking for promises, not expecting to know for sure,
      but questioning out of not knowing, inquiring
      meditatively, deeply, darkly, until we don't know
      anymore what is "enlightened" or "unenlightened"! In
      silently wondering deeply without knowing, the
      conceptual world is left behind. Are we going into the
      question in this way?

      All too often our yearning for something to alleviate
      the inner suffering gets in the way of deep inquiry.
      Rather than asking, "What is enlightenment?" can we
      question our inner feeling of insufficiency? We have
      tried to fill it with fantasies of all descriptions,
      with entertainment, acquisitions, achievements,
      relationships, spiritual searching, and solemn vows -
      anything to fill the aching void. But have we ever
      really explored it directly, unconditionally?

      Becoming conscious of it in or out of retreat, can we be
       with the ache of emptiness, not calling it by any name?
       Let all labels fly into thin air and stay with what is
      here, discomfort without calling it discomfort. Staying
      here with what's indefinable. Not resisting, not
      fighting, not looking for anything else. Just letting
      what is here be here in its entirety, physically,
      mentally, totally. Letting it be without knowing. Not
      becoming the doer for or against it. Just this quiet
      presence in the midst of the silence of chaos. In this
      there is an unfolding transparency. It happens when one
      sits patiently, silently, unconditionally. By "sitting"
      I simply mean being totally with what is here. Not
      moving away or toward something else, just remaining
      with the whole thing - an intense presence that includes
       all the bodily sensations, breathing, wind-storming,
      raining, sunning, birding, coughing, fans humming -
      everything right here, all at once, without a seam.
      Observing thoughts coming up, emotions about to be
      triggered, physical sensations arising and more
      thoughts, emotions, feelings, sensations unfolding and
      abating - being with it all. There isn't any place to
      escape to. Everything is here without separation.

      Let thoughts come up, let them reveal themselves for
      what they are and disappear. It all is the stuff of
      dreams, traces from the infinite past. Thoughts may
      trigger fear, but fear too can become transparency. When
       it arises, here it is. Let it be. Don't call it by name
       - labels attract memories and reactions from the past.
      No need to have any feelings about it - they too are
      empty. Fear is an unavoidable occurence in our habitual
      self-centered consciousness. We can not possibly live
      the illusion of a separate me without experiencing fears
       about what may happen to it. But illusions and dreams
      can also be seen as just dreams and illusions, even
      though they can arouse tremendous inner turbulence in
      the form of horror, agony, or pleasure. It is all part
      and parcel of human consciousness manifesting as
      separate me and you.

      Sitting quietly, watching things come up time and time
      again, a tape may be playing: "Is that what meditation
      is all about? I don't want to spend the rest of my
      meditative life watching endless repetitions of
      garbage." But the important thing is not what is seen
      but the quality of the seeing. When a person asks, "Is
      watching the comings and goings of thoughts and emotions
       all there is to meditation?" I say that it all depends
      on the quality of the watching. Is it consumed by
      judging, by feeling guilty, ashamed, or impatient? As
      those mental movements occur, see them for what they are
       and don't be disturbed by them. That is choiceless
      awareness - no separate watcher occupying center stage.
      The inner show is simply displaying itself on its own
      and needs no particular audience, no applause or
      rejection. Let it all happen as it is happening in the
      infinite space of open presence.

      Is choiceless awareness just another dream, a new
      illusion? Thought can turn anything into a concept by
      thinking and dreaming about it. See it when it happens
      and don't be fooled by it. Choiceless awareness is not
      an illusion. It is here for human beings like you and
      me. Tranparency unfolds on its own, revealing all there
      is as it is, in utter directness and simplicity, without
       need for a director.

      Actually, awareness is here even during times of
      darkness. Presence never goes anywhere. This is not a
      dogmatic statement but a simple fact that each one of us
       can come upon. See the cloud, the darkness! Hear the
      wind! Feel the breathing! Smell the flowers! Touch the
      swaying grasses! Clouds, wind, thoughts, breathing,
      fragrant flowers, and grasses change all the time, but
      seeing is here without time. Even though doubts may
      obscure it, it is here the instant the mind stops and
      every cell of the body opens to hear and see and be.

      No need to bother one's head about what has been said.
      Being present is all of oneself, not just the head! We
      are this entire living creation from moment to moment
      without a break. Walk innocently through the fields,
      into the woods, along the ocean beach or in the city
      streets with the sheer joy of aliveness, its infinite
      movements and sounds and fragrance - the love of it all
      without making a thing out of it!

      Are we here?

      SU GANDOLF

      tombstone, flush against the ground, curved like ribbon--
      stone letters cut like tree branches: "TO MY DEAR FATHER"...

      japanese false cedar,
      spider no bigger than a sesame seed

      an elegant bird's white-tipped tailfeathers,
      a pair of light brown mourning doves...

      Just now, as I'm typing this,
      Joanne calls from Seattle,
      "I have something sad to tell you," she says,
      "Lou died on Thursday."

      (random visit to a cemetery, beloved old man's death,
      UNFINISHED POEM)

      DAVID BOZZI

      WEB

           Spent the afternoon
           highlighting sacred geometry
           by  sprinkling glitter
           on spider webs.

           She didn't seem to mind,
           did an eight-legged dance.

           She's fat and pregnant
           and according to my two witness eyes,
              …holy.

           I saved her once before
           from a whirlpool in my shower
           while getting clean,

              …she'll tell her children about me.

           I don't know why I love them either
           but I bless them, growing
           in their mother's ball.

           They don't know it yet,
           but they're destined to continue her progeny,

           in her image

           in this web of life,

            …sacred web.

           So fertile and intertwined…