Friday, May 31, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2002

      HIGHLIGHTS #1090
      Friday May 31, 2002
      Editor: Gloria Lee

      NISARGADATTA

       By all means be selfish; the right way. Wish yourself well,
       labor at what is good for you. Destroy all that stands
       between you and happiness. Be all; love all; be happy;
       make happy. No happiness is greater.

       Fear and greed cause the misuse of the mind. The right use
       of mind is in the service of love, of life, of truth, of beauty.

       If you imagine yourself as separate from the world, the world
       will appear as separate from you and you will experience desire
       and fear. I do not see the world as separate from me and so
       there is nothing for me to desire, or fear.

       Were I very rich, what difference would it make? I am what I am.
       What else can I be? I am neither rich nor poor, I am myself.

      Posted by Viorica Weissman on MillionPaths
      ~~~

      hey you are all asleep
      snoring away your days
      as well as your nights

      what is the nature of awareness
      when deep asleep?
      ooo - scary stuff boys and girls!

      what do you think happens to you
      when you awaken to the experience
      of the vast universal conciousness

      heheheheh?!
      oh your poor karma laden ass
      ooo-ouch!

      matter and spirit
      what's the difference?
      none - hahahahah!

      while away the hours
      contemplating flowers
      understanding rain

      who da buddha, baby?
      heeheehee!
      you da buddha, baby

      ciao - michael

       By MICHAEL READ on NDS
      ~~~

      PICK UPS

      New to this list, but not to lists. Those of us who are on some
      'Spirtual Path', no matter how defined remind me of hanging out
      with local farmers. After "rain and crops", the most popular
      discussions are "Which is the best truck, Ford or Chevy?" These
      debates can continue for decades, even generations. It is never
      brought up that no matter which truck used, even Dodge, the vehicle
      that the working farmers use gets the hauling, planting and harvesting
      done. Those farmers who do not put in the work and study required
      have less than steller results. Simular w/Seekers or????. We can
      be observed debating methods, teachers, words etc., around the
      Satsang shop at any opportunity. Just because one Way of seeding
      and harvesting works for us; Does that have to be the only True
      Way? We still have to drive and read manuals, maps, our self. If
      someone's truck is stalled we can give him a lift, but hauling him into
      our preferred garage may not be the best way to get her back on
      the road....................... Having said that, Nisargadatta Maharaj is my
      teacher, but others have appeared and continue to be. If I have
      been cranking that ignition with no progress, and someone with
      jumper cables appears, I'll take that charge! But it is my job to
      keep it charged. John
      .
      JOHN on SufiMystic
      ~~~

      A HUNTING PARTY

      Hunting party
      Sometimes has a greater chance
      Of flushing love and God
      Out into the open
      Than a warrior
      All
      Alone.

      From: The Gift; Poems by Hafiz, Translations by Daniel Ladinsky

      What a wonderful hunting party this list represents!
      Much love,
      Michael
      ----------------------------
      "so... there I was... surrounded by the snarling howling hounds of
      hell... I said "s'up hounds?"... "heh! nada!" they said... so I made
      cookies, (oatmeal raisin)... and we ate them with milk and giggles"
      .
      MICHAEL (not Read, but "eclectic guy") on SufiMystic
      ~~~

      RAMANA MAHARSHI

      Maharshi: If a true seeker is advised to meditate,
      many may go away satisfied with the advice.
      But some one among them may turn round and ask:
      "Who am I to meditate on an object?"
      Such a one must be told to find the Self.
      That is the finality.
      That is vichara.

      D: Will vichara alone do in the absence of meditation?

      M: Vichara is the process and the goal also.
      'I AM' is the goal and the final Reality.
      To hold to it with effort is vichara.
      When spontaneous and natural it is Realisation.

      ~~~~~~~~~~
      from Talk 390
      ~~~~~~~~~~

      Posted by Gabriele Ebert on SriRamana
      ~~~

      What is it? Perhaps...

      Thank you for your thoughtful responses. At first I started to answer
      you with mind, but that is not what we really want to be doing here –
      playing with intellect and concepts, is it?
      There is enormous "help", of course, and yet isn't it funny how we
      frequently assume that Truth is divided – that there is "Absolute
      Truth", and then there are all of us poor slobs somewhere,
      divided from that Truth, who are needing some help to get to that
      Truth? Few stop to consider that, for Truth to be True, then It must
      be True always and everywhere.
      Still, let's let this drop into that place you seem to feel I am
      denying – the place of "the very real suffering that is experienced
      by those not yet awakened to their true Position!" Let's for a moment
      put aside all of our notions about enlightenment, Truth, positions,
      Ramana, gurus, shakti, and such, and "feel into" our present
      condition, may we? Can we take this moment to just explore who is the
      one looking out of our eyes?
      The initial tendency is to go to mind, but we've played that game
      enough to recognize that mind cannot exceed itself. We may then look
      to our emotions, but only with similar results, eh? When mind and
      emotion are examined and released from the demand to know, then what
      is left? Usually, we answer something like: "Me". Now, the
      interesting thing is, when we have excused mind and emotions to go
      out and play for the time being while this inquiry is pursued, we
      find that we really are unable to nail down this "me". For most, it
      remains some kind of vague amorphous something that resists the light
      of such an inquiry. However, if we persist, not trying to know or
      understand, but just persisting in the momentum of this inquiry, we
      may begin to intuit a kind of story that we have been telling
      ourselves, a kind of narrative that actually comprises the content of
      our ordinary waking or even sleeping consciousness. In fact, it seems
      to be the driver for all of our sense of self. If we are willing to
      be courageous, we might go a bit further and question:
      "Is it true? Is this story true, or more a collection of beliefs and
      assumptions gathered from random conditioning factors, and all hung
      along the clothesline of a central concept – "I"? We can ask this
      question without expecting a yes or know, but just letting it
      penetrate, penetrate, and then, if we can be fearless in the face of
      what reveals itself, we can allow a kind of falling off the cliff of
      our certainties, and into the vastness of the unknown, which we may
      be surprised to realize is the Home we have always been seeking.

      LoveAlways,

      BOB on HarshaSatsangh
      ~~~

      I've only listened to a few A.Watts tapes, and what one picks up
      immediately is his sense of humor. It must have been in a funny
      story that he admitted that "he was not enlightened". I thought that
      a first rule in the precious interaction between Teacher and
      Students is that the Teacher does not Proclaim his Enlightenment.
      For example, a snip from an Interview with D.Harding on this
      subject:

         When asked about Enlightenment.

         [DH]: "I don't use the word enlightened anymore; it's a buzz word,
      it's a word which is a very, very tricky one, and I don't say I'm
      enlightened and you're endarkened. I do not say that. In fact, I
      don't feel that way. I don't feel myself to be enlightened in a world
      of endarkened people.
      [Douglas Harding is the inventor of headlessness, also called "seeing
      who you really are," a method of self-inquiry based on simple,
      practical exercises. He was interviewed in 1996 by Kriben Pillay,
      editor of The Noumenon Journal.]

        I'm not familiar with the reasons why certain Teachers deny their
      capacity. For example, Tenzin Gyatso prefers to be referred to as
      a "simple monk" (hahaha).
      Perhaps it's a matter of finessing the students' entry onto the
      spiritual path. One result of denying one's enlightenment to would be
      students is to remove the "illusory" distance between enlightenment
      and endarkenment.

      CJ on HarshaSatsangh
      ~~~

      ALAN LARUS on HarshaSatsangh

      RAYS

      I will not go to work today.

      I will move my bed to the end of the suns ray.

      I am too curious today.

      When they bring their coffee cups and papers to the meeting,

      I will take a peek around the corner of the universe.

      At lunchtime I might be drinking with the gods,

      later I will whistle as I take a stroll along the gates of paradise.

      But when dinnertime arrives, I will return,

      for your laughter and your smile

      as you greet me coming through the door.

      I have to introduce myself

      My name is Alan in the English language.
      I am 47 years old and I live in Norway.
      I work with programming analytical systems for corporate finances.
      I found the magasine/ website, and Gloria made me aware of the Yahoo group.

      UNPLUGGED

      When I was a boy of  ten,

      Eliot’s The hollow men,

      today I hear the record players voice,

      could it have been a feeling of rejoice?

      Even when I was a child,

      my fantasy it did go wild,

      as a man I never wrote an ode,

      I spent my nights alone with code.