Thursday, May 23, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , May 24, 2002

      The Highlights
      Thursday, May 23, 2002
      Edited by Jerry Katz

      Live Journal

      I am more comfortable inhabiting your dreams than any
      other place I've visited.

      Live Journal

      teaching truth is a funny last karma
      with no creatures here to teach
      and no one to teach it
      yet there is no stopping it
      the Self Knowing Itself
      can't be stopped
      never started

      Eric Laing / terminal - an american family c.2002

      a first person accounting of the continued diminishment
      of 'family' (and the personal anguish left in the wake
      of two fathers) in a world spiraling toward self-induced
      self-righteous consumer (...or spiritual, or political,
      or whatever) false satiation.

      Hi, Eric,

      Thanks for sharing your site. Perhaps because I am an
      urban creature,  perhaps because I live in this
      particular place and age, perhaps  because I have spent
      my time thinking about architecture and cities,  perhaps
      because I have spent time in the places you photograph,
      I get  it. But those are the easy answeres, eh?

      Really, I get it because those things you photograph are
      in me. I  have direct access to them. They are a part of
      the personal myth.

      I didn't always recognize those things as part of the
      myth. It took  years of wandering around dangerous crap
      holes taking photographs for  others before I realized I
      didn't need to leave home to find those  places.

      So now, when the independent bookstore across the street
      takes to  playing piped-in classical music on the
      sidewalk to ward off the  street musicians and drummers
      and punks and hippies and the dog- toting degenerates
      and winos and homeless men asking for money, that  music
      goes straight to my ears, taking up place in my head. Do
      I take  it personally? Yes, a little. I sure know what
      "they" feel like. It  hurts, you know, to have a part of
      you run off, even if it tags the  building you live in
      every day. It hurts, too, to have one part of  you
      warring with the other. Each part killing the other, as
      in that  bookstore is struggling to make money because
      fewer and fewer  customers want to come face to face
      with what they might recognize as  themselves.

      And what I have noticed is that, now, no one, not even
      the  pensionists and the good folks and the shining
      models of social  responsibility hang out in front of
      this bookstore. A shame...

      Maybe this means I understand what your love and divorce
      is about.

      I may not be familiar with the story you speak of. Is
      this the little  prince that lives on the planet? The
      French story? If so, I'll look  it up again.

      'You' and/or 'I' is the movement away from Now. Neither
      'you' nor 'I' can ever know Now because to chase after
      it,  is to chase 'AFTER' it.

      When 'you' and 'I' are absent (or as I have stated
      before - when  there is the absence of absence) Now
      reveals Itself.

      Now is Singular - like everything else its qualities are
      Definite  and Infinite. The Definite quality is movement
      which is described with  the concept Time. The Infinite
      quality is Stillness - this can never  be thought yet it
      can be felt as in 'Being Stillness'.

      Time moves and yet it is always Now. Identification with
      Thought and Perception is Time. When there is  no entity
      (no I-entity) thinking and/or feeling there is no time -
       this is Now and thinking/feeling occur as necessary in
      the situation.

      Nothing happens Now.

      nothing is gained by enlightenment
      the event needs few precursors
      neither kundalini nor enlightenment
      need arrive in a certain order
      kundalini is a phenomenon unto itself
      as is breathing
      awaking to one's true nature
      is a natural, spontaneous and intuitive
      event unto itself
      requiring only an open mind and an open heart
      in this state all beliefs and concepts
      are naturally dropped
      and there is peace
      and the laughter