Wednesday, May 22, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , May 24, 2002
      The Highlights
      Wednesday, May 22, 2002
      Edited by Jerry Katz

      Todays posts are all from the NDS list

      what is true surrender? surrender is just another
      concept, maybe it just happens....

      JAN B.

      Relatives are concepts too: they don't exist apart from
      your perceptions, live only as perceptions, which just
      happen, without any evidence that the show is over when
      the mind-body happens to cease functioning.

      True surrender is a total approach to life. It's a
      practice, not a concept, at least when it's engaged

      While there may be subtle distinctions between surrender
      and making choices, the bottom line is that one
      abdicates their power as an individual and allows the
      universe at large to direct one's existence.

      It's always that way anyway, but the one who surrenders
      finds themselves swimming with the current of life
      instead of fighting against it.

      To Jody: Well said! It's a practice not a concept.

      There is no way to 'make' Peace. Peace is The Way. Peace
      is the Ultimate Discipline.

      If I make a choice, that is the universe acting through
      me as if making a choice.

      There is nothing to surrender to, or to fight against.

      There is only the universe acting.

      And the universe is acting by not-acting.

      Choice and non-choice aren't really opposites.

      Is it something like this? I know that I don't know and
      so what? What do I need to know this moment? This
      happens for a period of time and then I'm back in the
      trap yearning......

      Yes! This is how it is...

      Back and forth And so what?

      What Do I Need

      To Know This Moment

      This Happens...

      And you said it, rashmi

      My question is, what are you yearning for. Are you truly
      yearning for realization, or are you yearning to be
      happy and do you believe that realization will bring

      Realization is no escape from anything toward anything.
      It's a simple recognition of who you are. It's
      astonishingly ordinary given we pile so many hopes,
      dreams and expectations on to it.

      It will release you from the bondage of exclusive
      attachment to the one who is unhappy, and that certainly
      helps. However, it won't change the conditions of your
      life right away, and the "one" who is unhappy will still
      be unhappy even though you will know such a one doesn't
      really exist.

      You asked, 'Is it something like ...'

      In addition to what others have already said... I feel
      that it is like learning to drive a car.

      First there is the intellectual understanding, thinking
      - conceptual;

      Second there is the application of this understanding,
      where you get a 'feel' for the process - intuitive;

      And then the flowering of the understanding is when it
      is Living Understanding or when you are no longer
      thinking about driving the car although you know the
      rules of the road etc... AND you are not trying to feel
      the gas pedal, the gear shift or the steering wheel etc.
      and yet there is feeling ....YOU are simply not
      involved in any of this - you have 'let go', relaxed.

      The full establishment is when you are completely absent
      (you are the abesence of your absence, which is the
      absence of being involved with thinking and feeling) -
      you are not engaged in thinking and/or feeling and yet
      these things occur as necessary in the situation.

      In this way life flows 'through' you rather than coming
      'from' you. 'You' are empty of your 'self' and
      OneFullness is there naturally.

      Gems from Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj's Conversations

      "When effort is needed, effort will appear. When
      effortlessness becomes essential, it will assert itself.
      You need not push life about. Just flow with it and
      give yourself completely to the task of the present
      moment, which is the dying now to the now. For living
      is dying. Without death life cannot be."

      from: ANetofJewels

      A letter written for a dear friend... in part

      I would remind you that PK Dick has probably already
      done most of the research... his conclusions are
      embedded in his stories, esp the VALIS trilogy. He
      asserts that we are experiencing a dynamic 'see-saw', as
      the universe re-calibrates itself more and more finely;
      and he shows how those who are sensitive suffer, while
      those less sensitive simply die.

      Our 'Host' is undergoing perturbations; and we are
      rattled about in His guts. His evolution takes him by
      surprise, and he shares with us the fruits of his
      discoveries, sweet or bitter.

      As He learns to move gracefully with his own changes, so
      we must also not only adapt, but take each significance
      as a literal step to a higher dimension of Being; the
      alternative is too terrible to contemplate.

      Being abiding, allows the stream of time to carry away
      the detritus of redundant identity; we timeless, the
      river flows around, but not through us. Like a rocky
      island, we have the time to watch the river, to learn
      its stories, and to see that those whose preferences
      differ from what the river offers, are washed away with
      all identity which differs from the essential nature of
      our Host.

      On a more mundane level, it is good to see that we are
      embedded in a system which is fully interactive with
      each person; the universe tailors the reality of each
      person, and that person ultimately is responsible for
      the universe which is apparent to that person. There
      seems to be no external universe, aside from the
      infrastructure which enables this whole thing; and it is
      that infrastructure, which is pursued by all of the
      ancient ways of esoteric study.

      The Host (parent) system 'must' produce spawn (us) and
      we are 'meant to be' something akin to stabilizing
      gyroscopes; each of us is the living remedy, for the
      imbalances which necessitated our birth. The meaning of
      the life of a person, is to overcome the tendencies
      which are responsible for his birth. In this way, does
      our Host adapt to His own difficulties; and that is why
      we have a space for identity. It is His identity which
      would occupy that space; the first tendency we must
      overcome, to avoid birth, is that of harbouring a
      specious identity, one produced simply by the additive
      memories of events since incarnation.

      The existence of the universe is a signal of the success
      of this system; each person commands the resources
      necessary to contribute to the overall stability of our
      Host. The order implicate in the system, can be seen as
      either the goal of the system, or the means of the
      system, or both; in any case, the 'rewards' available
      are intense affirmations 'from our Host' that we are on
      the right track.

      One factor of our existence as humans, is that the
      system for experiencing 'rewards' is built-in, and may
      be triggered biochemically. Physical practices and
      drugs, certain 'meditative' techniques, etc, are known
      to trigger 'reward' experiences, and if a behaviour is
      discovered (drug use or sex/orgasm, for instance) which
      imparts 'reward', there is the possibility of radical
      disconnect from the actual Host system of dynamic
      feedback. The inevitable consequence for such disconnect
      is 'punishment'; this is experienced as 'anhedonia'
      (depression) or, in extreme cases, as madness; 'those
      whom the gods wish to destroy, first they make mad'.

      The individual who is 'identity-bound', captive of
      idiosyncratic identity, will not know that the
      possibilities which are seen, are a tiny fraction of
      those actually available; thus, on his way, such a one
      will act again and again in a programmed way, having
      little choice in any matter. Patterned behaviour of this
      sort will of course elicit 'feedback' from the Host
      system, designed to reveal the vastness of the realm of
      possibilities. It is this hidden realm, which is sought
      by those bound by identity, for they suffer in
      proportion to the exclusion of Host identity.

      Nonetheless, all of these factors are taken into
      consideration; time has provided the means for our Host
      to learn, and so there is no possibility which is not
      accounted for already. We exist in a field of
      possibility which is (generally) wider than the ability
      of any person to grasp; and so, surprise is a constant
      factor for us. As much as we strive for predictability,
      constancy, and stability, we do not know 'how' to
      achieve those conditions... aside from surrender to
      Abiding as way of Being.

      A person cannot surrender to a fictitious host; our Host
      is 'unknown', so our surrender must be to the unknown.
      This equates to admitting that we do not know, as the
      means of surrender.

      As we look around, looking for the unknown, it may be
      that we can comprehend that the unknown is not located
      in a place, but is pervasive; that is, not seeing
      anything we do not know, we must affirm that our
      ignorance is pervasive, to the extent that we exist in a
      field of ignorance, which outclasses any knowing; and
      knowing this, we must then, immediately surrender it.

      At this point, as above, it occurs that there is a
      slowing or even stoppage of accumulating identity;
      events are experienced impersonally, from that point,
      and identity is clearly seen as redundant, if not
      dangerously inhibitive to continued existence. As time
      now passes (the flowing river) the space of identity,
      rather than filling, empties; and as this space grows,
      so also may grow our ability to host our Host.

      Mevlana said: Come out of the circle of time and into
      the circle of Love.

      We came whirling
                                                 out of nothingness
                                             scattering stars like dust.
                                              The stars made a circle
                                                 and in the middle
                                                     we dance.
                                    The wheel of heaven circles God like a mill
                                                 If you grab a spoke
                                             it will tear your hand off.
                                                Turning and turning
                                                     it sunders
                                                  all attachment.
                                            Were that wheel not in love
                                                    it would cry
                                          Enough! How long this turning?
                                            every atom turns bewildered
                                                Beggars circle tables
                                                 dogs circle carrion
                                           the lover circles his own heart.
                                                   I circle shame.
                                                A ruined water wheel
                                               whichever way I turn
                                                     is the river
                                                If that rusty old sky
                                                  creaks to a stop
                                                   still, still I turn
                                                 And it is only God
                                                  circling Himself.

                                  In the music, we find silence; in the movement,
                                                  we find stillness.

      Sheikh Abdul Azziz was born and educated in the UK and
      he is a murid of the Naqshbandi Sufi Master, Hadrat
      Sheikh Abdullah Sirr Dan al Jamal. Under his Sheikh’s
      direction, and with the permission of Rumi’s descendant,
      Hazreti Jelaluddin Celebi, Sheikh Abdul Aziz was guided
      to the Mevlevi tradition. He had been teaching the
      Mevlevi Sufi path in Melbourne for over ten years.

      (link originally posted by Jan Sultan 12/01 audio
      Prayer (Besmele) by Ruhi Su

      "What I've learned from all this is what a delicate game
      it is to work with  intense pain. Like all the
      experiences of an incarnation, pain has to be
      experienced fully by the Ego in order to be an effective
      learning  experience for the Soul, but plunging in like
      that locks you into the pain.  The only solution is to
      be on two planes at once: you have to enter the  pain
      fully, and yet be in the Soul level at the same time.
      That's fierce?  You feel the full intensity of the pain,
      and at the same time you transcend  it by being in the
      Witness state. Pain demands that you establish yourself
      simultaneously in Ego and Soul. What an incredible
      teacher it is."

      From: Still Here by Ram Dass

      back in the day 1971-1974 or thereabouts
      guru maharaji was a big deal in the east meets west
      spiritual migration biz.
      man we threw some lavish parties!
      huge stages
      waving about of arms
      and lots of pranaming!
      whooooie did we have fun!
      and this pudgy little kid and his
      holy family got stinking rich
      then there was a big schism
      and scandal
      in his most holy family
      seems his big brother
      was supposed to be the next
      lord of the universe
      not the gm
      so his momma took big bro's side
      and bb split off and set up shop
      on his own
      and of course had lots of followers
      too and got real rich
      but only over in india
      but that's cool too.
      today there are still
      some who follow
      the gm
      who now no longer proclaims
      he is the lord of the universe
      and will most certainly
      save the world
      i wonder do they
      still kiss
      his holy feet?
      it was fun for a while
      and i did learn to meditate
      but man what a trip

      Recorded by the brotherhood of the monastery of St.
      Glazius. (Attached sound file.)