Tuesday, May 21, 2002

  • Michael Read
    Message 1 of 1 , May 22, 2002

      Photo credits: Froggy Jaques

      The Nondual Highlights

      Highlights Issue #1079

      Tuesday, May 21, 2002

      The Cat of Readiness

      Two dogs loped through town where they saw a cat lying on a doorstep. It occurred to them both simultaneously that it would be fun to chase a cat.

      They began to move toward it; yet it did not run, or threaten, or even switch its tail. Instead it merely opened one eye and waited, relaxed and ready to move in any direction. It was so relaxed it seemed to sink into the doorstep; yet its mind was clear, bright and open. It began to purr.

      The dogs stopped abruptly, turned around and trotted off. The cat went back to sleep.

      A few blocks away one asked, "Why didn't you chase that cat?"

      The other shrugged, "Didn't feel like it."

      "Me neither."

      --- In Nisargadatta@y..., Anand Eswaran wrote:
      The Buddha said:  'All karmic paths are like dreams,
      illusions, bubbles, and shadows; they are like a
      dewdrop or a flash of lightning - thus shall you think
      of it.

      -----
      Anand.

      --- In SufiMystic@y..., "lightbearer" wrote:
      Thanks Jan,

      This is such a key point in living. Living in the present moment or
      nowness or the eternal now has relieved me of anxiety at times.
      Analyzing thoughts can take away peace. Carl Jung called his thought
      recess times as "creative play," and literally got down on his hands
      and knees and made sand castles to remove his mind from overridden
      thoughts.

      --- In SufiMystic@y..., Jan Sultan wrote:

      > Everyone is overridden by thoughts;
      > that's why
      they have so much heartache and sorrow.
      > At times I give myself up to
      thought purposefully;
      > but when I choose,
      > I spring up from those
      under its sway.
      > I am like a high-flying bird,
      > and thought is a
      gnat:
      > how should a gnat overpower me?
      >
      >   --
      Mathnawi  II:3559-3561

      Version by Camille and Kabir Helminski

      "Rumi: Jewels of Remembrance"

      Threshold Books, 1996

      --- In Illuminata@y..., Mace Mealer wrote:

             Miracles abound between heartbeats
             The mystery remains, no matter how far
             you travel into now.
             After the bliss,
             the rain still falls
             the sun still rises.
             Knowing us the way it does
             is this surprising?
             Ends are as much a part
             of beginings,
             as beginings are of ends.
             Every instant, like a snowflake
             held aloft on the winds of destiny
             whispers to eternity
             "Now".

      --- In NondualitySalon@y..., "viorica weissman" wrote:

      Gently I weep for my mind,
      caught in its illusion of ownership.

      Mind ,you're not who you think you are.
      You are dancing over a pit.

      Soon you'll fall through,
      and these things you've valued
      and collected will be left behind.

      My sweet dear, do you understand this,
      and if you do, how does your food taste?

      Naked Song
      Lalla

      --- In SufiMystic@y..., Jan Sultan wrote:
      My cat was 17 years old when he died. For the last year of his life,
      when it was obvious he was going to die from the sun cancer that had
      invaded his face, I simply allowed him to do and be what he wanted. And this
      turned out to be "in my lap." All my meditations were with him sitting in my
      lap. He shared in any awakening. All grace had purring as background music.
      When he died very peacefully curled up on the seat of my mother's
      rocker, I left him there for several hours undisturbed. After digging his grave
      with tears flowing and a heavy heart, I returned to the house to wrap him
      in a sheet. As I picked up this little bundle and held it to my chest,
      something came out of his body and into my heart. The shock of it made me stop where I stood for several seconds just holding him. The sensation began to
      feel like warm honey...right there in my heart. I recognized this as all
      of him--all that I had loved--and all that he had been for 17 years now
      glowed softly in my heart. There was no sense that anything had been lost.
      The poor ravaged body that I then carried out and buried was just the
      empty case with nothing of him remaining in it. I knew this to be true on a
      very deep experiential level. I recognized that this was what I was also;
      just this energy of goodness that inhabits the body and then slips out
      without any loss.
      It has been two years since his death and the feeling remains as warm
      as the first moment. If I think of him, that is the sensation rather
      than pain. These last moments were very precious, not to be hurried
      through or missed. He gave me a gift which will last forever.

      --- In NondualitySalon@y..., "martin_jordan2000" wrote:
      Hi NDS,

      --Mantra for the 21st Cebtury internet community:
      "It`s just an email list, It`s just an email list, It`s just an email
      list, It`s just an email list..."

      --Greek Chorus in the background:
      But with attachments!, But with attachments!, But with attachments!,
      But with attachments!....

      --- In Nisargadatta@y..., Anand Eswaran wrote:

      All of you!  If you want to return to your homes,
      simply wake up to your true nature.  This mind nature
      is the original source of all Buddhas.  It is the
      names of all the sutras.  Sometimes it is referred to
      as the Unique and Wonderful Dharma, sometimes as
      Perfect Awakening, sometimes as the Void, sometimes as
      the World, sometimes as the Pure Land.  All of these
      names simply point to the One Mind.  Though there are
      ten thousand different names, there are not even two
      dharma realities.

       - Mud and Water
      - A Collection of Talks by the Zen Master Bassui