Thursday, May 16, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , May 17, 2002

      The Highlights
      Thursday, May 16, 2002
      Issue #1074
      Edited by Jerry Katz

      Humanity has advanced, when it has advanced, not because
       it has been sober, responsible, and cautious, but
      because it has been playful, rebellious, and immature.
      --Tom Robbins

      You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is
      a satire. All you're doing is recording it. --Art

      BOB ROSE Meditation Society of America list

      Question about separation from reality and anxiety

      Question: I am currently on medication for anxiety and
      was told to meditate for 5 mins. a day because I have
      what some call separation from reality where nothing is
      real to me. I have been sitting in the Hatha yoga
      position and repeating to myself "back to reality" for
      5 mins. Is there another word that I can use or what
      exactly am I supposed to do? I have gone through the
      program at the Midwest Center for Anxiety and Depression
       twice and this feeling has not gone away. They sent me
      a 21 day program to follow and one of the things to do
      was to meditate but they didn't tell me how to do it.
      Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

      Answer: As a mental health professional (Psych RN), I
      must suggest that you follow your physician's
      directions, including taking your medications as you
      have been instructed to. As far as meditation, the
      words aren't as important as the intent. The words
      "back to reality" are fine if they have a great
      significance for you, and I feel they are probably
      exactly right for what you hope to achieve. The usual
      suggestion for meditation is two 20 minute sessions a
      day. Also, you may find some benefit by remembering
      this fine message "back to reality" several times
      during the day. It may help re-place and anchor you in
      "reality". For very easy to follow directions on how to
      do many different meditations, I suggest you check out
      our web site, Meditation Station

      The heart of Avatar's Abode is the beautiful timber room
      known as Baba's Room.

      It is simply furnished with items used by Baba during
      His stay - a bed with pillows and bedding, two chairs, a
       rustic table, and floor mat.

      A photograph of Baba is above the entry outside the room
       and another is above the door inside the room.

      Both were brought by Baba to Avatar's Abode from India
      and He was most particular about where and how they
      should be placed.

      On the bed is a small glass and timber case which
      contains a pair of Meher Baba's sandals.

      The room is open to pilgrims. It is here that Beloved
      Baba's presence is felt most strongly.

      "The only place that can hold me is the heart."

      "I have come to sow the seed of love in your hearts, so
      that, in spite of all the superficial diversity which
      your life in illusion must experience and endure, the
      feeling of Oneness, through Love, is brought about
      amongst all nations, creeds, sects and castes of the
      world "