Friday. May 10, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , May 12, 2002

      The Highlights
      Issue #1068

      Friday, May 10, 2002

      Edited by Gloria Lee
      Highlights Home Page: http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      M J Gilbert on Along the Way

              ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

              Someone who goes with half a loaf of bread
              to a small place that fits like a nest around him,
              someone who wants no more,
      who's not himself longed for by anyone else,

              He's a letter to everyone.  You open it.
              It says, Live.

                                          - Rumi

              ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

      [cave]

      JERRY KATZ on NDS

      PBS shows available on the net:
      http://www.closertotruth.com/videoarchive/index.html

      I watched the following one on quantum physics:

      http://www.closertotruth.com/topics/universemeaning/207/index.html

      Only slight gestures toward the nondual, as below:

      "we say that an electron is like a particle--a stick or a
      stone--and it's also like a wave, which in fact means
      that it's neither of these. It's something for which we
      don't have a good category. It's as if quantum mechanics
      is saying to us, you humans may be great chimpanzees,
      but you're not ready for prime time as far as our
      metaphors go."

      I'm watching the video on 'Consciousness' now.

      NINA  on NDS
      ATTRIBUTES

      Thanks to all who have attributed nice things to me, such as Su's
      undersea link (in the NDHighlights) and that healthy architecture
      link. However, to be fair to whatever author may have originated
      these things, I kindly decline to accept the attributions.

      Please note, I also kindly decline the attribution of anything anyone
      may have attributed to me at any time. Good and bad and inbetween,
      down to the finest detail. If you don't mind, please remove any
      picture you may have of me from your memory banks. Your compliance
      will be appreciated.

      By the way, all my stories are made up. Completely, utterly. Just big
      fat lies. Modifications, reinterpretations, slanderizations of the
      truth. The people discussed therein, should they bear any resemblance
      to anyone living or dead, particularly should you recognize yourself
      in them, are purely fictional. This fictionalization applies equally
      to places, things, relationships, feelings, etc. Please keep this in
      mind the next time I tell a story.

      Ah, feels so good to come clean.

      :)
      Nina

      SU GANDOLF  on NDS

      "Spiritual progress and nondual realization"

      Ramesh Balsekar quote, lifted from Jan Sultan's posting on SufiMystic list:

      "The surest sign of spiritual progress is a total lack of concern about progress. There is an utter absence of anxiety about anything like liberation and a sort of hollowness in one's being, a kind of looseness and involuntary surrender to whatever might happen."

      Without critiquing this kind of statement in the obvious way (it's paradox), I'm interested in what it brings up. This "looseness" (that is a nice term for it) occurs in moments, or over periods of time, but then the tension (anxiety) returns, and screws with the concept of progress altogether. So, how can the looseness be defined as progress? It seems to me it either *is* or isn't, it isn't progressive. When there's tension, it's useful to believe in progress, yet you cannot, because you remember the looseness, which occurred in the past. When there's looseness, you do not care. Then perhaps you reflect on the looseness and believe in progress again, this time remembering the tension. Over time, duality's dance and song.

      There *seems to be* some change that is constant, I might call it faith, a new belief based on experience, but the body-mind requires the alternation of looseness and tension--duality.

      So...

      Is there such a thing as spiritual progress?

      What is nondual realization? Is it real outside of knowledge, experience and belief?

      Obviously not Nina,
      And Not Really Su

      [zebra]

      GENE POOLE on NDS
      RE: "Spiritual progress and nondual realization"

      I see that you assume there to be a paradox in the
      quote. I do not see a paradox there.

      Therein lies the problem... the assumptions contained
      in the concept of progress.

      Think about this; to whom is there a seeming
      of gradual? Awareness is complete, but there
      are objects (assumptions) in place, which obscure
      the Big Picture (what is).

      Concepts such as progress comprise these objects;
      and you know how attached we are to our useful
      concepts, especially ones which we use to alleviate
      our guilty feelings.

      Concepts in themselves are harmless; trouble comes
      when the concepts are used a a barrier between
      what is and what we prefer. It is that very barrier
      which is the identified tension you refer to.

      SU: It seems to me it either *is* or isn't, it isn't
      progressive.

      How did you get from progress to progressive?

      You could search the Highlights archives for keywords
      "sudden" and "gradual"

      SU: Is there such a thing as spiritual progress?

      What could be said to be spiritual progress can be
      recognized as an apparent expansion of awareness,
      occurring over time; what is really going on is the
      gradual diminishing of what obscures or limits
      perception of what is always there.

      Chief among the 'causes' of removal of the
      obscurations which contract (narrow) awareness
      is the admission that 'if I know that I once assumed
      that what I saw was all there is, and I was mistaken,
      I now know that I may be seeing only some of what is'.

      Knowing that you do not know, can be liberating; and if
      accepted as a way of Being, can lead to looseness.

      Further, if you can accept that what you see is actually
      yourself displaying itself to you, you will have not only
      looseness, but will be able to accept tension, without
      judging yourself. That is called abiding.

      SU: What is nondual realization? Is it real outside of
      knowledge, experience and belief?

      Nondual realization is unqualified; it has no
      relative reality.

      For the unrealized, it does not exist; and for the
      realized, it is not an issue.

      The only way to talk _about_ nondual realization is
      by alluding to what stands in its place.
      Name and form, and not sequestered...

      ==Gene Poole==

      GENE POOLE answers Rashmi on NDS

      "bhakti or yogamarga"

      Rashmi: I don't know if it's an absurd question but how do people
      on the bhaktimarga or the path of yoga attain realisation.

      Not absurd at all, Rashmi.

      Realization is not attained; what is attained is the
      loss of ignorance.

      Ignorance obscures what is always there (what is).

      Seeking realization is symptomatic of ignorance;
      understanding of ignorance includes knowledge of why
      a person clings to what obscures awareness.

      A person is attached (prefers) to have things to
      be a certain way; it is that attachment which is the
      binder of ignorance. That is why the 'masters' state
      that we should eradicate our attachment (as a trend,
      rather than particular attachments).

      Nevertheless, is it possible to see that ignorance
      and attachment act as a dynamic of blindness to
      what is?

      "Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding
      all you see" (Beatles song). What closes the eyes
      initially (in childhood) is common pain, physical and
      emotional; what keeps them closed in adulthood, is
      reluctance or refusal to drop the historical identity
      known as 'me', which lives by the theme of victim.

      Of necessity, the victim must suffer.

      Rashmi: Is it that just in one leap from being a doer and
      worshipping God or meditating they lose their sense of
      personal doership? and what is true meditation?
      Obscured by ignorance, one may leap about like
      a virtual kangaroo, never finding the right place
      to come to ground; as you may know, there is
      great social virtue conveyed by never-ending,
      energetic leaping, called 'seeking' or 'trying'.

      One may seek to lead the impersonal life; that is
      what is behind the life of 'renunciation'. And this
      may be done successfully. Eventually, as one
      leads the impersonal life, the actual person
      may show up; that is God.

      True meditation is like this: First, you learn to
      withstand being shot, without flinching. Then,
      you expand your learning to an ability to withstand
      being shot continually, by a machine-gun.

      Most people reverberate and react at the first shock;
      how can a person remain nonreactive to continual
      shocks?

      Only by accepting shock as a category of experience,
      and thus disregarding the particulars of the events
      which seem to 'cause' the shocks.

      It is God who is holding the machine-gun; can you
      take continuous fire?

      ==Gene Poole==

      SU GANDOLF on NDS

      Spiritual progress and water towers

      The sun is shining and there are five water towers, no, seven, I can
      see out my window without turning my head. Do people know what water
      towers are if they've never seen NY or another city that has them?
      Maybe there's a website somewhere devoted to these funny, perfect
      things.

      I used to dream of swimming in the water tower on top of the building
      I lived in growing up. I'd climb halfway up the ladder on the outside
      of the water tower, having been dared, before my fear of heights
      would kick in. It must have been an illusion that it was possible to
      swim in one--they seem to me now to be totally enclosed--but I was
      certain that it was  possible, that one day I would dare to make it
      to the top and plunge in to the freezing water inside. I would swim
      around for a while in the cold, deep cylindrical space, in the dark,
      secret, and unfathomably happy. Of course, I did not imagine that
      there would be a similar ladder on the inside of the water tower, so
      that once I jumped in, I imagined there'd be no way out, like falling
      into a well in the sky.

      So here they all are, these seven things, abiding and abiding, and
      although they seem permanent, one day they will be gone. And although
      the sun is shining, it is raining a freezing, smiling rain. A secret
      and happy and freezing, ancient rain. I am swallowing bucketsfull of
      clear, cold water, and I am in love with my co-conspirators. I am in
      love with you. Love, SKG

      Mazie Lane on Harsha Satsangh

      SNAKE EYES

      Snake eyes! Hypnotized!

      Mesmeric glaze, Marrakesh at high noon,

      Flute tune, languidity of lazy passion rising

      Drone enchantment’s irresistible siren song,

      Longing, wanting, wanting the end of wanting,

      Can’t take these eyes from the thought that

      "I am real", in spite of all you’ve read, heard,

      Said and stuttered you still so fervently, poignantly,

      Believe that you can know, that you can somehow

      Be This and know It too, take the Cake and not be

      Eaten too, pay the Price and throw the dice and not

      Come up with those Snake Eyes!

      Choices are a fiction of the charm, the

      "I put a spell on you!" Moroccan Screamin’

      Jay Hawkins, because this drug of me is

      So pleasant, the quintessential opiate, and who

      Really wants to awaken from such

      Drifting oblivion sighs and soft

      Enveloping stupor of the snakebite poison’s

      "Come-on, let me take you there –

      To poppy fields forever!"

      Mazie Lane on Harsha Satsangh

      Rumi

      The Center of the Fire

      No more wine for me!
      I'm past delighting in the thick red
      and the clear white.

      I'm thirsty for my own blood
      as it moves into a field of action.

      Draw the keenest blade you have
      and strike, until the head circles
      about the body.

      Make a mountain of skulls like that.
      Split me apart.

      Don't stop at the mouth!
      Don't listen to anything i say.
      I must enter the center of the fire.

      Fire is my child
      but i must be consumed
      and become fire.

      Why is there crackling and smoke?
      Because the firewood and the flames
      are still talking:
                        "You are too dense. Go away!"
      "You are too wavering. I have solid form."

      In the blackness those two friends keep arguing.
      Like a wanderer with no face.
      Like the most powerful bird in existence
      sitting on its perch, refusing to move.

      What can I say to someone so curled up with wanting,
      so constricted in his love?

      Break your pitcher against a rock.
      We don't need any longer
      to haul pieces of the ocean around.

      We must drown, away from heroism,
      and descriptions of heroism.

      Like a pure spirit lying down, pulling
      its body over it, like a bride her husband
      for a cover to keep her warm.

      MICHAEL READ

      expectations and beliefs and concepts
      these are the treasures of the spiritual
      the religious
      the seekers after truth

      three huge millstones to weigh one down
      drowning in the sea of karma
      screaming - aieeeeeeeee!
      hanging onto these rocks like they were
      your only treasure
      when they are your doom!

      oh well
      everybody goes through this
      why shouldn't you?

      someday those things will drop away
      and you won't even miss them

      hahahah and hohoho - mu

      [surfer]

      VIORICA WEISSMAN

      Enlightenment absorbs this universe of qualities.
      When that merging occurs, there is nothing
      but God. This is the only doctrine.

      There is no word for it, no mind
      to understand it with, no categories
      of transcendence or non-transcendence,
      no vow of silence, no mystical attitude.

      There is no Shiva and no Shakti
      in enlightenment, and if there is something
      that remains, that whatever-it-is
      is the only teaching.

      -------------------------

      Lalla
      Naked Song
      -------------------------

      HARSHA on Harsha Satsangh
      Commentary on the "Four Quartets" by T.S. Eliot

       We shall not cease from exploration

                      Commentary: The nature of the mind is to be active, to explore, to go where (apparently) no one has gone before.

        And the end of all our exploring

                      Commentary: The exploring will come to an end (when the mind sees its limit and surrenders).

        Will be to arrive where we started

                      Commentary: It will be clear that we have not gone anywhere other than where we already always have been.

        And know the place for the first time.

                      Commentary: Self is always fresh, perpetually new, drinking itself, consuming itself, Knowing It Self always as if for the first time.