Wednesday, May 8, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , May 9, 2002

      Highlights, Issue #1065

      Wednesday, May 8, 2002

      Compiled, Edited, and Designed by Jerry Katz

      Highlights Home Page: <http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm>

      BONDZAI
      from Nasrudin Study list

      Two policemen were tired of the routine of giving out
      tickets to speeders, so they instead wanted to give
      someone an award for safety. The Mullah's car passed by
      and the policemen began to tail it. No problem with
      excess speed, he used his signals. The policemen were so
      happy to have found someone who was obeying all of the
      laws to a tee. They pulled over the Mullah.

      Policemen: Sir, we are so happy to see that you are
      obeying all the traffic laws! We wanted to stop you and
      congratulate you!

      Mullah Nasruddin fell out of the car exclaiming....
      "When you are this drunk, you have to drive careful!"

      GARY MERRILL
      from NDS

      The mind in its use of concepts, by discrimination,
      hopes yet to find love, to satisfy the heart. But such
      mentation only breeds more division, more of the 'how
      things should be'.

      Whereas the 'heart' is total and not divided. It is mind
      which would separate heart and mind, but heart knows no
      problem, no obstruction, no fear. The mind has to be in
      fear to choose one against the other.

      The problem is in using the mind to try and find love,
      not that this is 'wrong' only that in so doing 'love' is
      projected into the future made ideal. Meanwhile love, in
      all its glorious imperfection is offered to us now. Thus
      the imperfect is made perfect.

      GLORIA LEE
      from HarshaSatsangh

      Being Oneself

      If we talk of knowing the Self, there must be two
      selves, one a knowing self, another the self which is
      known, and the process of knowing. The state we call
      realisation is simply being oneself, not knowing
      anything or becoming anything. If one has realised, one
      is that which alone is and which alone has always been.
      One cannot describe that state. One can only be that. Of
      course, we loosely talk of Self-realisation, for want of
      a better term. How to 'real-ise' or make real that which
      alone is real?

      - Sri Ramana Maharshi

      This quotation is from "Be As You Are" The Teachings of
      Sri Ramana Maharshi edited by David Godman Arkana, 1985

      ESSHAA
      from Live Journal

      Lost in the Moment

      You are lost within the moment. Allow yourself to awaken
      and see the moment. Do not become buried and smother.
      You will miss it's message. There is a message in the
      moment and all moments. You need each moment to have the
      next make sense. You can not put one before another or
      link a past to a future without the middle. It will not
      be strong. It will not be the truth. You need all
      moments to equal the moment. In order. One at a time. Do
      not rest. Do not hurry. Just relax in this and you will
      see the reality which is laid out before you. I AM the
      creater of off things, alpha - omega, beginning and
      end...and all things in between.

      ~Message/Maralena

      CEE
      from Live Journal

      if we come to rest
      at the center of ourselves
      at the core of existence
      we understand what advaita vedanta calls
      NO CREATION
      *
      there is only one absolute being
      nothing has ever come from it or out of it
      there is no movement or change in pure existence
      always immaculate, always exactly present.
      *
      we call it eternal, but there is no sense of time
      we call it vast, but the concept of space never occurs
      *
      to live NO CREATION is to actually
      LIVE
      *
      without birth
      without death
      *
      just this perfect absolute BEING
      *
      these are just meaningless words
      unless you dive within yourself
      to know the truth
      *

      IAMOM
      from Live Journal

      How to live in the now Actually, you're already living
      in the now. Whatever you are doing at this moment, is
      how you're living in the now. The now isn't anything
      other than that which you are currently doing.

      Therefore, the way to be in the now is simply to
      acknowledge that you are already there. Before planning
      for what must come next, you must acknowledge where you
      are right now.

      That's not a philosophy, that's just a technique. But
      it's a good one, because it makes you focus your
      awareness on whatever you have control over at this very
      moment.

      Without worrying about anything else, world peace
      follows soon thereafter.

      MICHAEL READ
      from The Way Station

      today i took a day job as a model for an art class. yup.
      naked like my momma made me.

      after the lunch break the teacher had me pose for a
      facial portrait drawing that she did for the class.

      during the setup for the pose one of the students asked
      me if so many people looking at me made me
      uncomfortable.

      i told her that it wasn't about me. she paused a moment
      and then nodded her head. i found myself repeating the
      phrase - it isn't about me - several times during the
      day. you see, i was able to walk about during breaks and
      look at what the students had drawn. from time to time a
      student would ask me if the drawing looked like me and i
      found myself repeating the phrase - it isn't about me.

      it (the class) was about them. about learning how to see
      and perceive.

      as i listened to the instructor address the class during
      the portrait session i was struck at how like a zen
      master she was. she spoke of seeing what was there, of
      how it balanced, how lines and light interacted, and how
      to grasp the beauty of what you want to put on the
      paper.

      during the next break i mentioned to her how much she
      put me in mind of zen mastery. she said, 'yes, it is
      very zenlike in quality.'

      all in all - a very pleasant day

      NINA
      from NDS

      How is it colors and forms we were never meant to see
      can strike us so?

      http://home.mindspring.com/~mjwest/