Saturday, April 27th, 2002

  • Christiana Duranczyk
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28, 2002

      H i g h l i g h t s

      The Best of the Internet's Nonduality Email Lists, Forums, Web sites, and More

      Editors: Jerry Katz, Gloria Lee, Christiana Duranczyk, Michael Read, John Metzger

      Highlights Issue #1054

      Saturday, April 27, 2002

      Today's Highlights compiled, edited and designed by Christiana

      Search all Editions of the Nondual Highlights: http://nonduality.com/search.htm

      Nondual Highlights Home Page: http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      This issue sent with healthy loving thoughts to our friend Jan Barendrecht who has badly broken his ankle.

      Quotient of One:

      For us physicists, the distinction between past, present, and future is only an illusion.
      Albert Einstein

      I ain't no physicist but I knows what matters.
      Popeye the Sailor

      Hold on to the things that matter; let go of the things that keep you tethered."
      Highfizz

      Manifestation is just an extreme form of high fashion.
      david bozzi (nudist)

      Manifestation is the drag Brahman wears to become Shakti.
      --jody radzik (xdresser)

      david bozzi NDS and Harshasatsangh
      Universe egg,
      particular, supreme
      about Her cream.

      Of all the countless tries
      how many make it?

      She is so selective,
      tolerates nothing less
      than sweet perfection,
      discards everything
      (`cept ambrosia dew)
      Can you?

      Oh human race
      you're just a sperm
      that's made it only so far.

      Odds are against you
      whether you have the right stuff
      or not.
      (do you have the code to see?)

      Will you be flushed
      down the drain
      of Her holiness,
      like odds suggest
      or awaken
      (no matter how unlikely)
      from zombie sleep
      in time?

      When I see a trillions to one
      possibility
      I look for fruit on trees.

      Can you see what I do not?

          (nbe: painting by Agnes Pelton "Star Gazer")

      First there was the Great Cosmic Egg. Inside the egg was chaos.
      Floating in the chaos was P'an Ku, the undeveloped divine embryo.

      Huai-nan Tzu, China 100 BC

      To someone who could grasp the Universe from a unified standpoint
      the entire creation would appear as a unique truth and necessity.

      Jean Le Rond d'Alembert

      The Earth can be thought of as a niche in the Solar System, a
      niche in the Milky Way -- like a flower finding the right place to
      sprout its seeds. But, how did life find out that this planet was a
      proper niche? How did the seeds of life get here, and what are
      the "seeds" of life?

      Energy and matter, the seeds of life, are everywhere. They have
      been here all along. The Earth abides in a region of space
      where the stars are not packed too densely so that there is the
      danger of stars colliding. Many safe regions such as this can be
      found throughout space. Why do such niches exist at all? If stars
      were more densely packed everywhere throughout the
      Universe, life would not exist.

      The characteristic size of galaxies allows for such roominess,
      had the stars been greater in number the Universe would be
      uninhabitable. A guiding mechanism, such as a system of
      fields, and fine tuned constants are essential. It is a symbiotic
      Universe -- a Universe of, by and for life. One scientist
      expresses this:

      "A major revolution in thought is in the offing. Whatever the
      explanation turns out to be for that massive series of
      coincidences whereby life arose in the Universe, it is not going
      to be simple. Each and every one of them flows from the laws of
      Nature, and it is to these principles themselves that our thinking
      must turn. Life obeys the laws of physics -- this much is a truism.
      What is new and incomprehensible here is that in some
      extraordinary way the reverse seems also to be true -- that the
      laws of physics conform themselves to life."

      Here we are literally the self-consciousness of the Universe,
      and able to marvel at our own existence. Life itself is the highest
      physical law!

      Martha Ramsey on NDS

      The following were (amongst) my favorite passages.

      . . . As I asked the Light to keep explaining, I understood
      what the Higher Self matrix is. We have a grid around the
      planet where all the Higher Selves are connected. This is
      like a great company, a next subtle level of energy around
      us, the spirit level, you might say.

      Then the Light turned into the most beautiful thing that I have
      ever seen: a mandala of human souls on this planet. Now I
      came to this with my negative view of what has happen on the
      planet. So as I asked the light to keep clarifying for me, I saw in
      this magnificent mandala how beautiful we all are in our
      essence, our core. We are the most beautiful creations. The
      human soul, the human matrix that we all make together is
      absolutely fantastic, elegant, exotic, everything.

      . . . The Void is inside and outside everything. You, right now
      even while you live, are always inside and outside the Void
      simultaneously. You don't have to go anywhere or die to get
      there. The Void is the vacuum or nothingness between all
      physical manifestations. The SPACE between atoms and
      their components. Modern science has begun to study this
      space between everything. They call it Zero-point. Whenever
      they try to measure it, their instruments go off the scale, or to
      infinity, so to speak. They have no way, as of yet, to measure
      infinity accurately. There is more of the zero space in your
      own body and the Universe than anything else!
      From an abstraction nothing can be known as nothing occurs
      Gary Merrill with Dan Berkow  snips from ConsciousnessIsAll@yahoogroups.com

      Gary: The question arises 'To what extent is it necessary to know
      anything?' Given that knowing is a fix of reality, a fix of truth.
      That to know implies also not to know. The answer gives rise
      to what is beyond the answer, so answers, being limited are
      problems.

      Dan: Nothing can occur out of place, because past, present,
      future are abstractions of one event.

      Gary: The bigger picture would suggest that. If abstracting
      ourself as actors, as causal agents, is an illusion then it
      couldn't be said that there is a choice or alternative.

      There would be no one to blame or no one to forgive. The
      question here arises 'is a culture which sees identity as real,
      intelligent?' If there are individual causal agents, actors,
      doers then there would be the possibility of a threat of
      inappropriate action. So there would need to be control, self
      control and control of others. But all this would be valueless
      outside of imagination.
      _______________________________________________________________________'
      On Gurus and transmission

      Matthew and Jody   GuruRatings@...

      matthew: is there really any other kind of guru? transmission
      is what the guru/devotee relationship is about. it is a human to
      human transmission. it is something that cannot be gotten
      from books, nature, or oneself. all gurus transmit what it is
      they "have". some may give students lots of things to do,
      practices and such, some may give nothing to do, it makes
      no difference. the nature of the relationship is about being in
      the company (though that doesnt necessarily mean physical
      presence of) of the guru and absorbing the transmission.

      Jody: Not in my experience. "Teaching" realization is about the
      pointing out of the already there.

      There is nothing to transmit. We already are the Self. The
      presence of pure being is a constant, ongoing reality in
      everyone's life. The guru isn't giving you pure being, or the
      ability to "see" it. All a guru can do is point at the Self when
      s/he can see that you are looking at it.

      The guru knows what it "looks" like, the student doesn't. It's
      like a camouflaged moth against tree bark. The student
      doesn't know what to look for. All s/he sees is bark. The guru
      waits for the moth to "move". The student has to see the
      move for the guru to point out the moth. Then the student
      understands that they've been seeing the moth all along, they
      just didn't know what they were looking at.

      A guru can provide various transformative exercises and
      experiences, but the student still has to notice the moth's
      movement. That's the real value of the guru, being around to
      point out what's sitting right in front of our face, closer than
      our own breath. Letting people believe that you are giving
      them something they already are may get you lots of fans,
      but it doesn't get them any closer to the truth.

      Awake, fragrant, empty field
      Jerry Katz offered this beautiful link. Kiran was a new gift. The 'fragrance' of
      his writing and this music has graced this weekend. Thanks Jerry.

      "Just relax and don't expect anything."
      There is No Sat-There is No Sang: There is Nothing to Do

      Kiran: The more I understood, the more ordinary I became,
      because I came to understand that I know nothing at all. I am just
      stunned by this mystery. I am not exerting any effort in order to
      know or understand something. I have it because of the "tuning"
      which is part of existence itself.

      Kiran: When a flower blooms, it is in its natural state. In this
      natural state its fragrance starts flowing. The flower experiences
      being in the state of flowering. That flowering is the flowering of
      the human consciousness. Then the fragrance of existence starts
      flowing through you. The fragrance is not of the flower. The joy
      which flows from existence is expressed as fragrance. This
      fragrance starts coming up and this joy starts bubbling up in a
      totally silent space. Silence-the quality of existence-starts coming
      up in you.

      Kiran: When you are totally awake and conscious to listening, is
      there any thought? No, because the mind is thinking neither of the
      past nor of the future. At that level of consciousness, you have a
      feel of what is conveyed. Somewhere, in between the words, you
      have a feel and a knowing of what is meant by the words. After
      knowing them, you just drop the words. You are not gathering,
      storing, and comparing the words. You are gathering the
      essence, which is conveyed in and between the words.

      The mind remains only as an instrument providing information in
      and for the here-now. It is a quiet mind now.. It has become a
      beautiful servant. Knowing and understanding occur in another
      dimension. Knowing occurs in consciousness which has no
      movement at all.

      I am suggesting you stay aware and conscious in whatever you
      do, because in the dimension of consciousness and awareness
      you are thoughtless and effortless. Life occurs now in this
      moment. In total listening, there is no mind, no thought, no "you".
      Just listening remains. This effortless and thoughtless space is
      enlightenment.

      (nbe: painting by Arthur Douet http://www.arthurdouet.com/index2.htm)
       Cultivating the Empty Field:
      The Silent Illumination of Zen Master Hongzhi

      translated by Taigen Daniel Leighton with Yi Wu

      A person of the Way fundamentally does not dwell anywhere. The
      white clouds are fascinated with the green mountain's foundation. The
      bright moon cherishes being carried along with the flowing water. The
      clouds part and the mountain appears. The moon sets and the water
      is cool. Each bit of autumn contains vast interpenetration without
      bounds. Every dust is whole without reaching me; the ten thousand
      changes are stilled without shaking me. If you can sit here with
      stability, then you can freely step across and engage the world with
      energy. There is an excellent saying that the six sense doors are not
      veiled, the highways in all directions have no footprints. Always
      arriving everywhere without being confused, gentle without hesitation,
      the perfected person knows where to go.

      http://www.sfzc.com/Pages/Library/cultempt.html

      Examples of true friends
      Kiran: Because you cry in your dream, I shake you and try to
      wake you up. You may ask someone in your dream, "Please give
      me some method or some technique which will awaken me!" If
      that someone answers you and gives you some techniques, he
      and his methods are also part of the same dream. In fact, he only
      can shake you and wake you up. What technique can be applied
      in a dream?

      Michael Read

      Friendship Poem

      Are you tired of all those mushy "friendship" poems that always
      sound good but never actually come close to reality? Well, here
      is a "friendship" poem that really speaks true friendship and
      truth itself!

      Friend, When you are sad, ...I will get you drunk and help you
      plot revenge against the bastard who made you sad.

      When you are blue, ...I'll try to dislodge whatever is choking you.

      When you smile, ...I'll know you finally got some.

      When you are scared, ...I will tease you about it every chance I
      get.

      When you are worried, ...I will tell you horrible stories about how
      much worse it could be and to quit whining.

      When you are confused, ...I will use little words to explain it to
      your dumb ass.

      When you are sick, ...stay away from me until you're well again. I
      don't want what you've got.

      When you fall, ...I will try to keep from laughing.

      This is my oath, I pledge 'til the end. Why you ask? Because
      you're my friend.

      Send this to 10 of your closest friends, then get depressed
      because you realize you only have 2, and one of them is not
      speaking to you right now. And always remember: A friend will
      help you move. A really good friend will help you move a body.

      And finally Mark's unique take on a fragrant empty field

      Mark Otter

      I'm deeply concerned about this.
      http://www.miniclip.com/bushaerobics.htm

      I noticed during the "buns" portion of the workout that there
      was a bit of a sound... How shall I describe it? LIKE AN
      ALASKAN PIPELINE EXPLOSION!!!!!!! Oh wait, Congress
      voted that one down? what a gas, huh?