Friday, April 19, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 20 9:51 PM

      The Nondual Highlights
      The Best of the Internet's Nonduality Email Lists, Forums, Web sites, and More

      Editors: Jerry Katz, Gloria Lee, Christiana Duranczyk, Michael Read,
      John Metzger

      Highlights Issue #1046

      Friday, April 19, 2002

      Today's Highlights Compiled, Edited, and Designed
      by
      Gloria Lee

      Search all editions of the Highlights: <http://nonduality.com/searchhl.htm>
      Highlights Home Page: <http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm>

      Editorial Quote for Today!

      As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.
      Dick Cavett

      [dots.jpg]

      Connect the dots
      Naomi Evans polishes the floor April 12 before the opening of Japanese artist Yayoi Kusama's exhibition of vinyl dots and balloons, titled "Dots Obsession - New Century, 2000" at the Roslyn Oxley9 Gallery in Sydney, Australia. The work by the internationally renowned artist is on sale for $145,000, which includes the vinyl dots, 11 balloons and installation instructions.

      [skateboarder.jpg]

      JERRY KATZ
      from LiveJournal

      this is my poem
      with the word

      beloved

      in it

      you're going to hear about
      mythological
      things
      and really very historical
      things

      and some woman or female thing
      high above me
      in a flowing robe

      i'll be getting to that part soon
      once i decide whether she has fairy dust
      around her
      or not

      so this is my poem with the word
      beloved
      in it

      and i hope you like it so far

      this is my mention of planets
      and astrological things

      ok i got that out of the way

      and this is the part where i mention
      that my heart
      is overflowing with love
      and the love becomes a fountain
      or a bird
      or some other animal

      right about now my
      beloved
      has to come into the picture again.

      ya know, you can't go too long without
      bringing the beloved back into the picture.
      you know what i'm saying.

      i guess i'm supposed to mention clouds too.

      does the beloved ever pick up the check?

      oh man, saved by the bell.
      that's my chick on the phone.
      gotta split

      GARY MERRILL

      It is of the mind to discriminate, to be for or against
      To choose light over dark
      Good over bad
      Enlightened over un-enlightened
      Whereas the heart synthesizes
      And does not choose
      The heart remains forever pure
      In totality of all
      In gratitude of all
      Such love is blind to the mind
      But like an open flower
      Is Readily available to all
      Completely free.

      MARK HOVILA
      from NoDoer

      This morning I read the following in Talks With Ramana Maharshi.

      "Bondage is only the false notion 'I am the doer.'  Leave off such thoughts
      and let the body and senses play their role, unimpeded by your
      interference."

      This can be seen instantly, by anyone, at any time.  See it now!  It is
      obvious!  It is unbelievably obvious, which is probably why we don't look,
      because we can't believe that such a thing could be so simple.  Just let
      what happens happen.  (Duh!  As if wanting it to not happen would change
      anything!) Where is the problem?  Where is the suffering?  Where is the
      bondage?  Isn't this a lot more fun than trying to decide what to do all the
      time?

      NINA
      did I hear you correctly?

      I said "hello" to the parking garage attendant on my walk home. His
      reply was "pretty good".

      This is not an unusual happening. In fact, more often than not, when
      I say "hello", I get the response that describes how my addressee
      thinks they ought to tell me they are doing. "Fine", "Well", "Real
      Good", "Could be worse, has been worse", and if you look like you've
      got time to spend: "Well, you know..."

      So, I wondered...

      At first, I thought perhaps the above sort of exchange is the product
      of a fairly scripted regional approach to saying hello to people in
      public settings. "Hey, how you?" instead of a "Hi" or "Howdy"
      or "Hello". The script so well-rehearsed, in fact, that the script is
      heard, even when it isn't being followed.

      Well, at first I thought it was simply about a scripted greeting.
      Then I wondered...

      Is that sort of mishearing so uncommon at all? Could it be that most
      of our exchanges are scripted? That everything I hear is nothing you
      said?

      Su, what am I not hearing today?

      On that note, I'm out of town, out of the mountains, (out of sight,
      dynomite!), down to the sea, to the sand and alligators and windburn.
      See you when I'm done vacating.

      Nina

      BRUCE MORGEN

      Habitual banter can be fun
      to play with -- here are a
      trio of typical mechanical
      phrases and the responses I
      sometimes use to see if the
      banterer is paying
      attention:
      _____

      "Can I have your name, please?"

      "What's the matter, don't you
      like yours?"
      _____

      "Please give me your phone
      number."

      "Well, OK -- as long as I can
      have it back!"
      _____

      "Have a nice day!"

      "I hear and obey!"
      _____

      GREG GOODE
      Putting the usual mechanical banter off-balance

      Hi Bruce and Nina,

      I do the same thing:

      Q:  "And what do you do?"  (oft-heard in NYC, they're asking about one's gainful employment)

      A:  "Oh, ride my bike, see lots of
           movies and eat nachos, but not
           all at the same time."

      Q:   "And where are you from?"

      A:   (taking a small step to the side)
            "Right there."

      MARK OTTER

      Hi Greg,

      I often say (without thinking very much, suggesting that I've merely
      rewired my rote-response (hee, hee - or is it waaah...)) "I'm from
      Earth."  I'm actually surprised at how many people take offense.

      BRUCE MORGEN

      That's probably because
      they sensed that you're
      not being entirely
      honest, Mark.       :-)

      After all, The Coneheads
      often told people they
      were "from France!"

      "I got a picture postcard
      from my brother.  It was
      one of those photos of
      the earth taken from
      space, and his note said
      'Wish you were here!'"

      paraphrased from
      comedian Steven Wright

      GREG GOODE

      I know what you mean.  I actually had great fun meeting Mark, and I can tell you he's not from Earth or anywhere around Earth.  :-)

      HIGH DEE
      Focus -part one

      [faces.jpg]

      JERRY KATZ

      cool distraction. once i took my glasses off and the image blurred it was
      only a little while before eleven faces popped out.

      Chadwick, the guy who put up the website, has a charming touch with English.
      His is the twelfth hidden face. Look:[    http://www.bath.ac.uk/~ee9caa/    ]

      "I love to wear smart clothes. The problem with me is I wear too smart, at
      the time I needed to wear really smart, it is hard to find the right clothes
      to wear since the smart clothes does not looks cool on me anymore."

      "Japanese is one of my interests. Chese is another interests of mine."

      "In Hong Kong, students learn by remembering the book. In Scotland, they
      teach you until you understand."

      "Hi! My name is Chadwick. I am from Hong Kong. I study in University of Bath
      and I am a
      Third year student in Electronic & Electrical Engineering. A bit shine, not
      many friend in Bath."

      "I tell my personal tutor about the exam I failed. He did not know that I had
      failed."

      " I will try to update it often and hopefully get some new background for
      this page (Yeah, this colour looks old and kind of gay anyway.). Feel free to
      read."

      not really nondualer,
      jerry

      BOBBY G
      from HarshaSatsangh

      I wish I were gone

      Hi Everyone:

      When I think abut it I must not like who I think I am.

      I see myself do things I wished I had not. I am wrong about a lot of
      things and I don't like to find out about it. I see a lot of things I
      don't like about myself. Since I am wrong a lot I figure there are a
      lot of things about myself I wouldn't like if I wasn't wrong about
      myself so much. I guess I expect other people to point them out to me
      even though I am not willing to do that for them and I don't like
      that about myself.

      I also see a lot of things I don't like about other people so I
      assume they feel the same way about me. I know I am a good guy at
      heart, that is I would help somebody if they needed it.  I figure
      everyone has this quality at least sometimes.

      If I am alright and everyone is alright too why do I want to leave
      this ego behind.  Is it because of streets of gold or 72 virgins to
      do my bidding if I do?  Is there something better for me.  How could
      there be if the ego is gone.  That is me that is left behind. Gone.
      Or is it?

      The stories are pretty confusing concerning this.  Still I insist I
      want to give up this Identification with the patterns and tendencies
      that I am accustomed to thinking of as me.  Why?

      For me it is because I am a lie.  It takes 90% of the brain to
      suppress the remaining 10%, because that 10% erroneously attributes
      every thought to another thought, the "me", instead of me.

      Love
      Bobby G.

      SU GANDOLF
      from GuruRatings

      This was the first time I was at something called a satsang with a
      teacher in the chair (except for a short visit at the beginning of a
      much larger Gangagi satsang). From my limited point of view, there is
      a layer of "there's nothing to get but I've got it" in the set-up
      with the teacher being on a pedestal that is not so freely addressed,
      although Neelam is lovely and "real" (one of her words), and I have a
      vision of her transmission as a rowing out with you to the middle of
      a quiet, (some light shade of) blue lake. (where another teacher
      might take you to a mountain)... and I see my wanting something too,
      the contradiction in that. I had an interesting experience watching a
      young man with one of those ever-present beatific smiles on his face
      that was so easy to judge badly. The second day, I decided to see
      myself in him, and when I looked again, for the first time his smile
      had softened. Like my accepting of him (that part of myself), made it
      so that part didn't have to appear so intensely externally anymore. I
      pretty much ignored Sai Baba.

      :-)
      Su

      HELLMAN
      from GuruRatings

      If you have not seen with your own eyes then you will never truly
      discover what has been happening around Oshana, nor will you know me -
      and I am not interested in those who do not seek in order to find
      but seek instead to deny

      To those who say that they are the "I am" they could recognise that
      that is not IT. There is no "I" to perceive an "am". Instead what is
      there is more like "couldn't give a damn" than "I am" - and yes I
      heard it from Dave first, and it made perfect sense in the deepest
      part of my being

      love & laughter

      hellman

      JODY
      from GuruRatings

      That's a clever way to point to the Self, but I'm still
      spinning from all those fantastic testimonials:

      Something profound happened to me - quite what that
      was is a mystery. There was a shift, a different perspective
      happened... Somehow everything appeared different - the river,
      the boats, the buildings - all seen from another angle to
      normal.

      Dave should know that this isn't enlightenment. Self
      realization isn't seeing anything differently. It's the
      *not* seeing of identity, not seeing from a different identity.

      I saw my ego/form as merely a construction and without life
      - it was as if I had moved outside myself momentarily and I
      saw I was FREE.

      And that's all another construction, not any closer to
      enlightenment than any other construction.

      It seems there are so many ways that this is transmitted.
      I am constantly in awe. Now it seems that writing can be a
      vehicle for this too.

      What is there to transmit? It's nice to be in awe, but that
      isn't realization either.

      Nothing against these folk, but these are just more states
      of mind, more ideas about existence. They are not realization.

      Dave must know this, yet he's egging them on to manifest
      these kinds of experiences.

      People get a little yaya and Dave gets the credit and that's
      about it. They go home with their new construction of self
      and continue to not see who they are.

      Just trying to keep it real.

      --jody.