Thursday, April 18, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 19, 2002
      The Nondual Highlights
      The Best of the Internet's Nonduality Email Lists, Forums, Web sites, and More

      Editors: Jerry Katz, Gloria Lee, Christiana Duranczyk, Michael Read,
      John Metzger

      Highlights Issue #1045

      Thursday, April 18, 2002

      Today's Highlights Compiled, Edited, and Designed
      by
      Jerry Katz

      Search all editions of the Highlights: <http://nonduality.com/searchhl.htm>
      Highlights Home Page: <http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm>

      A voice message from Jerry has been attached to this posting.

      MICHAEL READ'S 20 SECOND RAGG:

      JAN BARENDRECHT'S RAGIM5:

      (you don't need to be a member of Nonduality Salon to
      access files uploaded there.)

      ALAN

      If Janis Joplin returned
      having learned the lesson of liquor,
      but not the one of sweets,
      she too would probably eat glazed donuts

      Oh Lord I could stumble, on the path that transcends
      The day death comes knocking, I can't make amends
      I'm the slave of my senses, still I treat them like friends
      Oh Lord I could stumble, on the path that transcends

      I had to do a fast search on the web to get the link donuts – non
      duality:
      Now I know, the hole. Maybe one donut is enough.

      Uphanisad misquoted :

      "The hole is subtracted from the hole and yet the hole remains."

      ZAZEN misquoted :

      The center of the donut is a hole, a zero, an empty nothing, through
      which the entire universe flows in and flows forth, transformed and
      recreated.

      A materialistic non hole focus

      "I call the `hole in the donut' syndrome. Just think for a minute how
      many people you know who view their lives in terms of `what they
      don't have' rather than from the perspective of "what they do have."
      These types of folks go through life focusing on the hole of a donut
      rather than the donut itself."

      Becoming a truth:

      "Like almost any city you can name, Bethlehem has grown hugely--in
      size as well as population--over the last century. The historic core
      is now, compared to the city of today, very much smaller than the
      hole of a donut."

      Input for fantasy dreams: Our bodies might be the donuts of other
      species.

      The lumen of the digestive tract is considered outside the body like
      the hole of a donut, since it's continuous with the outside of the
      body.

      JUPITER GARDEN
      from Live Journal

      Been reading a book on Jnana-Yoga; it's extremely
      illuminating. I was thinking what an amazing man the
      author was, then I realised that I wrote that book. So
      did you, we are all one consciousness, and so long as
      their is one breathing lung in the universe, one
      molecule which omits an internal energy we can never
      die, we were all created in the first three seconds of
      existence astrophysically at the big bang we were all
      connected and we all still are yet we don't realise it
      (one of the traditional meanings of Maya interpreted
      from the Rig Veda, am i right?); and everyone we meet is
      us, every breath we breathe is us, every insult we face
      is us insulting ourselves, praise is us praising
      ourselves, but there is no us only i because there
      cannot be more than one omnipresent thing and if it is
      omnipresent it cannot be divided so we are not partof
      the whole we are the whole because there is nowhere else
      for the whole to be except be whole.

      And every idea, every conflicting thought, every
      "individual" is just an equation, a variable, a process
      of math, a way of learning, i am exploring all the
      variables and i am everything in the universe all at
      once, because everything needs to be explored, every
      possible variation of undefined space (and there is a
      template for billions and billions and billions of
      twists of a standard space defined only by maths and
      evolution and a permeating spirit!)

      i am everything. i am you.

      or am i just a bored teenage girl who has missed the
      point?

      current mood: curious
      current music: peter tosh - reggaemylitis

      HEIDI

      SITTING AT THE GURU'S FEET

      It's not that teachings are flawed or people are flawed
      that prevents people from TheAwakening they, of proper
      foundation, seek or desire. It's that teachings do not
      contain enough calories to feed the beast, and so the
      beast suffers from a severe nutrient- deficit.

      You can't really imagine, in advance, how much free
      energy it takes to awaken. You can read books all day,
      every day, go to evening and week-end seminars every
      week, retire from life and sit at your guru's feet on a
      regular basis, trying as always to suck every bit of
      juice out of all of it, and still, never get anywhere.
      Why?

      Because thought is too weak to do what is necessary, and
      thought is the only vehicle through which the necessary
      energy is transferred, from human to human, or from you
      to you.

      You see, you have to have your own enlightening
      realizations to ever experience TheAwakening you, with
      proper foundation, seek or desire. You have to, in
      effect, invent and then teach yourself, the One True
      Teaching - you have to sit at your own feet.

      Every realization you get on your own is worth a
      thousand from someone else, and packs a punch you can
      not imagine until you do.

      SU GANDOLF
      from Guru Ratings list

      SIGH, BABA
      So, Friday I go help my friend move her business in the
      middle of the night (as advised by her lawyer). Packing
      up the contents of some drawers, another woman hands me
      an ancient looking box of incense, manufactured by
      "Srinivas Sugandhalaya" (note the similarity to my
      name/email address), Bangalore - 23, it is labelled
      "Satya Sai Baba Nag Champa Agarbatti" and "For Indian
      Market Only - Not For Export". It does not belong to my
      friend.

      Saturday, I attend a satsangh in a room that turns out
      to contain a shrine with a large photo of same
      afro-styled guru.

      That which I reject...?

      Yours,
      Su :-)

      this gentleman in London is open to meeting other
      nondual types in the area.

      name=Carlo
      email=carlo@...
      Your Location=London, England
      text=I AM open to the pleasure of meeting open 'others' (smile).

      HELLMAYO:
      I'm shuffling off the final stage of a cold-like illness
      which I caught (which caught me, that should be) on Holy
      Saturday. This led me to the question: are smokers
      capable of enlightenment? My nose was quite
      irritation-ful enough with all those viruses up it, then
      some smokey git had to light up! And some other smokey
      git. And so on. Very unenlightened behaviour. Any hope
      for them?

      JAN BARENDRECHT:
      Smoking is but one of many damaging habits concerning
      the mind-body. Not being attached to those habits may be
      one of the guidelines to "enlightenment" but when the
      "path" gets steeper (nirvana), those habits can become
      blocks (eventually, that phase of life will be
      recognized). So there is "hope" for chain-smokers too!

      ~~~~

      HELLMAYO:
      On ~Good~ Friday -20 days ago- I visited Chris
      Gosselin -a big character on the Pagan scene- in the
      "Palliative Care Unit" of St Charles's Hospital; he had
      been seriously ill for some months with metastatic lung
      cancer. He died the next morning (at least I *got*
      there). I'm not indifferent to death - I actively
      dislike illness & death. There, how do we spiritualize
      that away?

      JAN:
      You don't "spiritualize away" anything: the Buddha
      taught the way to end suffering which means in a
      literary sense, the potential for suffering can
      dissolve. When not the slightest pain can be felt, the
      issue called "mind-body and its vicissitudes" is
      absolutely moot isn't it? The snag, living in such a way
      as to "open up" to an illness like cancer could be
      called a "block" preventing such dissolution - but when
      the component of suffering called "mental turmoil" is
      gone already, the pain can be endured with a smile -
      without that turmoil, pain is "just" pain.