Wednesday, April 17, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 18, 2002
      The Nondual Highlights
      The Best of the Internet's Nonduality Email Lists, Forums, Web sites, and More

      Editors: Jerry Katz, Gloria Lee, Christiana Duranczyk, Michael Read,
      John Metzger

      Highlights Issue #1044

      Wednesday, April 17, 2002

      Today's Highlights Compiled, Edited, and Designed
      Jerry Katz

      Search all editions of the Highlights: <http://nonduality.com/searchhl.htm>
      Highlights Home Page: <http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm>

      from HarshaSatsangh

      Pale moderate night
      comfort breeze sinks into
      bodily core essence.

      What I seek;
      is not a noun.

      I am pure.
      by infinite emptiness.

      Thank-you god!
      (or whomever)

      I have these clockwork programs
      run on an emotional chip
      that align to seasons
      and stored moments.

      Fuck ‘em.

      Fuck ‘em all!
      (who needs ‘em?)

      Fuck ‘em all to nounless space..
      Nounless space.

      I am such.
      (sort of, sort of not)

      I can only send out
      limited satellite images
      of that sinister,
      engulfing nounless space.

      Devours all I know
      (or all that I would ever want to know)

      Infinite nounless space
      eating me alive.

      Is that you ?
      Hugging me?
      Loving me?
      Swallowing me…
      (eating me alive)

      …until I am gone?

      A bit of a story:
      Background: differential torquing along spine, multiple
      unmoving diaphragms, difficulty in standing, walking,
      etc. from a disjuncture at midback. Body pulled in
      multiple directions.

      So, I'm on the table, and, as usual, whenever I am
      getting touched, I enter this blissful state of total
      relaxation, and, cruising about with nothing else to do,
      I start watching the points the therapist is addressing.

      And what I notice is

      that having one's spine touched in such a state is quite
      electrifying. In fact, this body is a puppet and the
      strings are the nerves running home to the nexus through
      the spine, the spine that is being touched. My arms and
      legs, skin, face, organs.. flex and contract, minds of
      their own.

      that in focusing on the activity at those points, there
      is pain. Sharp nervile pain, now and then quite
      surprising in intensity.

      that in focusing on the activity at those points, there
      is sensation of rhythmic pressure. I ask the therapist
      if he is doing it. No - in fact, his job is to be
      still... it is this body that is moving. It is the
      rhythms of the body that have surfaced. Gradually, these
      rhythms, originating at the point of contact, the point
      of attention, surface bodywide, eventually moving out of
      the zone of 'that which may be observed' to the zone of
      'what I am'. My attention takes on that rhythm. Then,
      nothing but that rhythm. Less more less more less more
      less more. (And that tumblepoint of inbetweenness.)

      (And pain disappears, when it isn't the focus.) So, the
      therapist asks, at one point, how that pain is doing. I
      say, broken out of rhythmic reverie: what pain.
      Immediately, as if to answer, it is back.

      Whales and dolphins sing, not to mention birds, singing
      as a representational form of communication is common to
      many species of animals.

      Vocalization in the form of singing preceded language
      and is the basis of it. Music expresses and produces
      emotion above thought. Hearing speech AS music is what
      allows babies to learn to speak. Infants can "hear" all
      the sounds and intonations known to exist in any
      language with discrimination, but this ability
      disappears at 10 months in favor of only those
      reinforced by the language spoken to them. Baby babbling
      in all cultures also produces more sounds than later
      survive in the spoken language, it is not exclusively
      imitative. As a side note, stroke victims are now being
      re-taught to recover language thru singing. As it's in a
      different, earlier part of the brain from speech
      centers, the ability to sing often survives a stroke.
      For babies, learning language (along with basic movement
      skills) structures the brain, making neural pathways
      that are the basis of all subsequent learning. Babies
      begin to hear in the womb and can recognize speech
      patterns such as mothers voice and even specific

      Just as monkeys get together to sing to claim their
      territory and promote group identity, so do we. From
      national anthems to football fight songs, remnants
      survive. Even today there are primitive tribes where the
      ritual of the men getting dressed up in make-up and
      fancy feathered outfits to perform a courtship song &
      dance still exists. The women are the "choosers". And
      women still "swoon" over popular singers in modern
      culture. Song and dance played an important role in
      early man's life, from tribal identity bonds to hunting
      and warfare rituals.

      Most prayers are still chanted and sung, in all
      religions. The entire catholic liturgy was sung until
      recently. Jewish congregations hire a professional
      cantor to sing. Songs are more easily remembered than
      spken words alone. Thus early poetry has repeatable
      speech rhythms built in to resemble song.

      If anyone is interested to read a scholarly presentation
      of the orgin of language and its role in our
      development, here is an excellent website. While
      language itself is a meme, it is in our genes to
      vocalize with complexity.

      Excerpts from summary:

      According to the point of view presented here, symbolic,
      spoken language emerges from the (coincidental)
      combination of complex representational capacity with
      intonation recognition/reproduction capacity (which
      itself develops in close connection with singing
      capacity). As such, it is claimed that it is not
      language itself which has been naturally selected for.
      Language is considered as a cultural phenomenon very
      well comparable to bird song culture, only more
      sophisticated (variable, flexible, more symbolic,
      syntactic) just because of the more sophisticated mental
      representation capacities of higher apes. In summary,
      birds did not develop symbolic language to the extent
      that humans did, because of more limited mental
      representation capacities, chimpanzees did not because
      of lack of singing capacities. Humans simply happened to
      combine both characteristics.

      Once humans combined mental capacity and musicality, we
      rely on genetically encoded flexibility of the brain to
      explain how symbolic sounds - memes - could develop and
      restructure brain mapping in a nongenetically
      inheritable manner. In other words, genes provide
      general capacities like brain flexibility, vocal
      dexterity, intonation recognition and reproduction
      capacity, while memes - through interaction with the
      developing brain - strongly influence the rewiring of
      the neuronal connections which make up a brain.

      from the Nisargadatta List

      In Maharaj's talks,
      where in some cases he gives folks mantras,
      and the like, and even the singing etc.,

      he says in effect,
      people come to him so badly damaged,
      that first the so-called mind has to settle down,

      .......you can hardly tell someone to investigate
      Who/what am I etc.,  (self inquiry)
      in the midst of a buzzing hornets nest!

      from <http://www.lawsview.com/index.html>

      10/11/01 Thursday

      Last Tuesday, after lunch at Kingston
      Cooks, I stopped by the Off the Walls Gallery where
      Tibetan Monks are creating an Avalokiteshvara sand
      mandala. They began creating it on Monday, and will
      finish tomorrow. The mandala base, a blue wooden square
      about three or four feet on each side with the major
      lines in white paint, had been set up on the floor in
      the center of the gallery. The monks, seated
      cross-legged, were working when I went in - they looked
      up briefly to say hello, and then went back to work.

      The sand is put onto the surface using foot-long thin
      metal funnels. One end of the funnel is about two inches
      in diameter, and that end is dipped into a dish of
      colored sand. Then the sand is poured down through the
      narrow end, through the opening which is not much larger
      than a pencil lead. Because the opening is so narrow,
      the amount of sand can be finely controlled. The outer
      surface of the funnel has little ridges on it and by
      scraping another metal blade over it, the funnel is made
      to vibrate, which causes a very fine stream of the
      colored sand to flow from the bottom. The monks bend
      themselves nearly double holding the funnels, drawing
      the designs with them.

      There are several chairs available so I sit in one, and
      watch. Everyone is quiet - occasionally one monk makes a
      remark to another. Otherwise there is just the sound of
      the metal blades being rubbed against the funnels. When
      laying down the base color, the monk can work quickly,
      but once that layer is done, the fine designs take much
      more time. The monk nearest me is putting in some
      intricate vases with elaborate tops. He wears a white
      mask over his mouth to be sure he does not breath upon
      the mandala as he works. First he marks some guidelines
      faintly in white sand, and then using pale green sand he
      begins to build the vase. When the basic shape is laid
      in, he adds decorations in several other colors - orange
      dots, blue lines along the top, and more. What amazes me
      is that he is simply drawing all this from memory - they
      do not have a copy of the design anywhere around to work

      There is nothing going on here other than the creation
      of this beautiful pattern; the creation is a meditation,
      and observing that process is a meditation. It is an
      unusual experience to just sit here, as these men spend
      hours and hours slowly building up colored sand into
      such a complex and brilliant image. This work is rooted
      in an entirely different sense of time and of what is
      important. It is possible to just sit here and be, for
      now, at peace.

      from Live Journal

      finding no-purpose in work

      Some days I really have to steel myself for my work day.
      I'm one of those people who often feels a tugging at the
      sleeve while working; it's like there's someone at my
      elbow saying, "Isn't there something more important
      you're supposed to be doing right now?" When I was
      younger, that voice would be really loud and bratty:
      "Hey! This task isn't worthy of you! You should be
      somewhere else, helping people and becoming
      enlightened!" Now, the voice is a lot quieter, and
      usually just asks simple questions: "Will what you're
      working on right now make a difference? Is it important
      for you to be doing that? Is it the right time to be
      working on that, given the circumstances surrounding
      that task at the present moment?"

      Timing is everything, isn't it? I always feel like I can
      see solutions to problems at work and in society, and I
      feel a drive to try to solve them. Whenever I encounter
      an inefficient or ill-advised process at work, I usually
      want to try and fix it, changing it for "the better."
      However, I'm getting better at recognizing the fact that
      even those problems which seem to require solutions are
      really no different than any other experience or thought
      that might arise. Acknowledging that what I perceive to
      be a problem is just another way of looking at the same
      reality, helps me to accept the "problem" as part of the
      same piece of fabric, and allows me to forget about
      trying to solve it.

      At least for a little while. For me, this cycle of
      problem-identification and problem-resolution is just
      the way my mind seems to operate. Letting go of the
      desire to see the problem resolved is far more important
      than discovering the correct solution to the problem. At
      least, that's the way it works best for me. Focusing too
      much on finding solutions to perceived problems
      generates little but excess anxiety in the untrained