Monday, April 15, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16, 2002
      The Nondual Highlights
      The Best of the Internet's Nonduality Email Lists, Forums, Web sites, and More

      Editors: Jerry Katz, Gloria Lee, Christiana Duranczyk, Michael Read,
      John Metzger

      Highlights Issue #1042

      Monday, April 15, 2002

      Today's Highlights Compiled, Edited, and Designed
      by
      Jerry Katz

      Search all editions of the Highlights: <http://nonduality.com/searchhl.htm>
      Highlights Home Page: <http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm>

      LISA AND HEIDI

      To Pray Or Not To Pray

      LISA: ...I was speaking to a friend just yesterday who
      suggested that the pattern we find ourselves in is just
      the way it is. The tendency to attempt suicide may be
      part of that pattern, the tendency to attract negative
      energy may be a part of that pattern, intelligence,
      wealth, health, tragedy...all predetermined by our
      patterns. Yup, I see that no problem, however, my friend
      went on to say that there is absolutely no way to change
      the pattern. The best that can happen is that we cease
      to struggle against the pattern and accept what is.

      HEIDI: No offense to your friend, but don't you believe
      it. The patterns CAN be changed, and acceptance is not
      the way, never was. Acceptance is surrender. Change is
      revolutionary.

      The how and whys are questions only for those with the
      intelligence to understand them - and for them the
      answers may be enlightening. For the rest, the
      succumbers-to-the-status-quo, there's is but a short and
      meaningless life.

      LISA: ...we are all a part of a greater whole. Nothing
      exists separately. I visualize the whole in terms of a
      stream of energy (usually) but lately the form has been
      shifting to resemble the anatomy of man and quite
      frankly I am convinced that there are a great many of us
      that comprise the anus of this being...if we can't
      change the pattern how do we move to a more desirable
      location?

      HEIDI: By first knowing WHERE that most desirable
      location is, and certainly not before. You already know
      where that is, but even if you reside there, you're
      still horribly constrained - by ordinary intelligence.

      There are TWO intelligences. The one all are born with,
      and the one a few develop. There are techniques for
      developing extraordinary intelligence, but if I was to
      tell you, you'd take immediate offense.

      LISA: In anticipation of being told that by accepting
      "what is" and ceasing the struggle one moves to a more
      desirable location (or something like that)

      HEIDI: Lisa, if anyone tells you that, they're
      ill-informed at best and confused at worst. Acceptance
      of "what is" is blindness, it's the most ORDINARY of
      ordinary views possible, and certainly not extraordinary
      in any way. Chew on that.

      Then think about the concept OF struggle, of overcoming
      the forces that confine you, of freeing yourself from
      chains. Do you really believe that non-sense about
      "accepting you're already enlightened" dis-information?
      Probably not, if you still have a glimmer of life in
      you.

      The reason why many people here and there, push such
      failed viewpoints, is because they don't understand
      anything about what they're talking about. And when you
      don't understand something, make a clever aphorism or
      something, and you never have to deal with it again.
      Most of what passes for "enlightenment" literature, is
      one guy giving off-handed pep-talks to other guys. Not
      so THEY will awaken, but so that THEY will keep coming
      back for more. Why? Because if what they were saying WAS
      satisfying, or in any way operational, the audience
      would just go out and "get enlightened". But, honestly,
      how often have you heard of that?

      LISA: I say in advance...I stopped struggling years ago
      out of sheer recognition of the futility of the
      struggle...but the old desire to fight like a cornered
      animal arises at times and I am not always sure how to
      process that intensity. Squeezin the charmin, -Lisa

      HEIDI: ---"friend" to "friend"-- Get BACK on that
      horsey, and ride!! Come out of the struggle-free closet,
      and start thinking about what you're thinking about, and
      try to overcome the automatic tendency to "make sense",
      and reduce difficult concepts into aphorism and bad
      jokes.

      Use your cornered animal energy for your OWN
      enlightenment. Don't let some other questionable
      lifeform tell YOU what to do and not to do with your own
      life.

      PS. This was NOT a pep-talk. If anything, it was just
      the opposite.

      GINA AND DAVID
      from the Alice's Restaurant list

      GINA:

      Hello All,

      I'm a new member as well. I recently stumbled across the
      following wonderful poem on
      <http://store.yahoo.com/scents-of-earth/index.html> and am
      curious to know if any of you have specific incense
      rituals or scents that you use to get yourself into a
      creative frame of mind and/or if you have suggestions
      for other texts relating to the subject.

      Thanks so much. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

      I don't feel like writing a poem,
      Instead, I will light the incense-burning vessel
      Filled with myrrh, jasmine, and frankincense,
      And the poem will grow in my heart
      Like the flowers in my garden.

      - student of Hafiz (15th century A.D.)

      DAVID:

      Gina,

      For me it would be Shukokoku, also spelled syukokoku,
      and Shu koh koku. It's rich in aloeswood.

      But everyone is different. Chinese artists have always
      been partial to Sandalwoods because they seem to steady
      the hands and relax you.

      Cassia or cinnamon has been known to stimulate
      creativity.

      Marcel Proust was stimulated by the smell of tea as I
      recall the story and wrote "Remberances of Things Past"

      Galangal of Sanna (jap) Kaempferia galangal might be the
      sleeper here. Most Japanese companies use it in their
      products.

      SATI PANNA
      from <http://awakening.hjem.netact.dk/diary/archive-2001/5-july-2001.htm>

      Went to visit my mom yesterday. It enabled me
      to update my websites as well as check my email. I also
      decided to take a break from the egroup there. I have
      received a surprisingly high amount of feedback on the
      diary website. Apparently, someone had shown the URL to
      a nonduality egroup. I don't care much for nonduality
      really. Trying to find nonduality is as illusionary as
      it is futile. I care more about duality, more
      specifically knowing dualistic thought patterns.
      Discernment liberates. But perhaps that is was others
      refer to when they speak of nonduality. Perhaps my
      definition of that label is off the mark. Anyway, I was
      told that there was a small discussion about whether I
      was fake or not. It kinda reminds of why I decided to
      quit usenet. To much discrimination. Not that I mind
      that people don't believe me. In fact, I think I'd be a
      little disappointed if anyone took what I said at face
      value. But there are simply too many people in such
      forums who cling to their own views and concepts and
      think it is valid. It would be more beneficial for them
      to examine why they think I am phoney. Personally, I
      tire of such discussions. If people want to tell me they
      are enlightened, I'll give them the benefit of the
      doubt. If my own experience tells me they are not, I
      might point out that it doesn't seem that way to me,
      provided they are open to such a debate. Going around
      and discussing criteria for enlightenment seems silly to
      me. Everyone is capable of taking a Sutra or other
      scripture and reformulating in their own words and then
      claim it to be genuine experience. It's quite difficult
      to discern such things based simply on their writings. A
      personal discussion might reveal it more clearly, but
      again it is uncertain. But if all you have to base your
      assumptions on are views and concepts rather than direct
      experience, how can you tell even then? In the end, it
      doesn't matter at all if those around you are
      enlightened or not, or even if they claim it or not.
      What matters is your own experience and progress; your
      own understanding. Why waste time counting the treasures
      of others?

      from <http://corewave.com/core/gamei/wwwboard/sub-main.html>

      "Tommy" by The Who
      Posted by Gail Sullivan on July 30, 1997

      "Deaf Dumb and Blind Boy lives in a quiet vibration land
      Strange as it seems, his musical dreams ain't quite so bad
      Sickness will surely take the mind where minds can't usually go
      Come on the Amazing Journey and learn all you should know."

      Tommy is an excellent example of the distinctions
      between inside and outside. While lost "in a quiet
      vibration land" this deaf, dumb and blind child manages
      to see himself in a mirror. But he is unable to respond
      to anything else. Through his infinite contact with
      himself he becomes a fully-realized person while still
      cut off from society as a whole. Once his mother breaks
      the mirror he sets out on a journey as a new messiah,
      attempting to lead others down the same path to
      enlightenment. ----------------

      Re: "Tommy" by The Who
      Posted by Basho on October 27, 1997

      I think that one of the keys to understanding "Tommy"
      is that you can see your own reflection in a pinball.
      The ball becomes a metaphor for the self as it is
      bounced around from bumpers to pins and back. Our control of
      the fate of the ball/self is limited to the flippers
      and small movements that we can induce in the machine
      as long as we don't "tilt" or "drain."

      Connection to Spirtuality and Zen:
      The "gatha" of Shen-hsiu:
      The body is the Bhodi-tree.
      The mind is like a mirror bright;
      Take heed to keep it always clean
      And let not dust collect upon it.

      The reply of Hui-neng:
      there is no Bhodi-tree,
      Nor stand of mirror bright.
      Since all is void,
      Where can the dust alight?

      In a sense, Zen transceds the inner/outer distinction of
      mind and world. Phenomenon do not exist "out there"
      neither do they exist "inside the mind" They exist as
      they are, without discrimination. The "breaking of the
      mirror" is enlightenment. When we stop to reflect on our
      selves and see the world "as it is" then we can say "I'm
      Free and I'm waiting for you to follow me." Whether or
      not we with to become Messiahs is a matter of choice
      (see Richard Bach's "Illusions").

      LOBSTER
      from Nasrudin Study list

      Cause and effect

      It seems that Mullah Nasrudin
      was once again telling his favourite joke.
      Everybody had heard it hundreds of times.
      On finishing the Mullah ROTFL (Rolled On The Floor Laughing).
      Everyone else was unaffected.
      'Mullah why is it you never grow tired of this joke?'
      'What,' said Nasrudin catching his breath, 'makes
      you think I am laughing at the joke . . .'