Wednesday, April 10, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11, 2002
      The Nondual Highlights
      The Best of the Internet's Nonduality Email Lists, Forums, Web sites, and More

      Editors: Jerry Katz, Gloria Lee, Christiana Duranczyk, Michael Read, John Metzger

      Highlights Issue #1037

      Wednesday, April 10, 2002

      Today's Highlights Compiled, Edited, and Designed
      by Jerry Katz

      Search all Editions of the Nondual Highlights:http://nonduality.com/search.htm

      Nondual Highlights Home Page: http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      All selections are from the Nonduality Salon list.

      DAVID OLLER from the Steven Seagal message board

      Dragons

      Los corridas are coming from the little village homes, las
      hermanas are stirring from room to room. The dragon takes a
      walk for a greasy burger at the Tasty Freeze, he is
      unnoticed by the town, even the lady at the counter will
      have no memory of him tomorrow. He sees a weathered cigar
      on the adobe wall of the general store with no roof and no
      goods for sale. Where are the sounds that once broke the
      silence? Where is the laughter of señoritas asking without
      asking? Nothing left but a few adobe walls, a dirt floor,
      and two brown squirrels that are playing in back of the
      ruins; that is with the exception of faded red and white
      painting on the outside walls "La tienda" in a style
      consistent with the twenties.

      Across the street, a newly painted shop sits in contrast to
      the weather beaten shop next to it--the one with the bent
      sign saying "Available." There are no customers inside, and
      he wonders: How long?

      His eyes rising, the reality changes, and there is nothing
      but the Sierra Blancas rising above a small town called
      Tularosa. A moment ago he was at la vieja's bedside--Porque
      es la viva corta? A moment ago you were clicking the mouse
      on a title and beginning to read an article, then something
      happened; the article, the title, the computer, and yes,
      even you, dissolved completely. Think of this when you talk
      about the middle way.

      HEIDI

      THE THINKERS

      The subject (content) of "quoting others" recently appeared
      on this list. It appears on many lists from time to time,
      and the chief complaint, is that "the readership" doesn't
      like having "to deal with it" (it wastes their time, having
      to delete or pass over stuff they're not interested in,
      etc.) There are hundreds of reasons why people "don't like"
      the words coming out the mouths of other people. But,
      notice, how many reasons do YOU have resisting the words
      coming out your OWN mouth? If you look, you'll find - not
      many. For "you", anything you say is A-OK. For "them",
      everything everyone says is immediately resisted for some
      reason or other!

      The recent "POLL" here, is a joke. Q;o) (panties in a
      ruffle, yet?)

      This is a list wherein the membership is "supposedly"
      interested in Waking up, Enlightenment, Liberation. Such a
      foundation would mean, when rightly considered, "how can I
      change MY OWN STATE OF CONSCIOUSNESS", not the state of
      consciousness of others!!

      Does anyone see/feel the difference? When I started
      hammering on the quoting phenomenon, I made it perfectly
      clear that I was NOT offended/dismayed/irritated by others
      posting habits, and therefore, my "VOTE" (were I to make
      it), would be to drop ALL the rules, and let the chips fall
      as they may. If people WANT to continue posting quotes from
      living or dead humans, even AFTER hearing comments from the
      readership, then it's the "job" of the readership TO DEAL
      WITH IT, and the "job" of the quoting-posters to reasonably
      consider the comments. Isn't that, really, what Life is all
      about? You change YOURSELF, not others.

      Thinking is the problem. But NOT the content (be it quotes
      from dead or alive, questionable sources, or news articles,
      or made-up stories). The problem, to split the hair
      arbitrarily (so we can even talk about it) is that the
      PROCESS of thinking is masked by the content. If you ever
      see how to unmask your own PROCESS of thinking, you'll
      immediately realize, content is not the issue. It never
      was. Content, be it 4thway texts, non-dualism texts,
      Christian texts, whatever, MASKS what is really going on in
      your own brain. People will live and die without EVER
      getting the slightest grip on that very concept, yet when
      and if they DO, it's the first real enlightenment of many
      more yet to come.

      The process of thinking is this: thinking operates with
      energy, and information IS energy, and energy is polarized.
      Polarized energy runs the entire three-dimensional world -
      from the smallest particles in you to the largest
      structures in the universe.

      __________________"The thinkers"________________________

      You look out across a few short thousand years of recorded,
      remembered, human history, and think it's in some way
      meaningful - to you, to humanity. Yet, seen in the
      brilliant light of billions of years of development on this
      planet, man has only been "a thinking creature" for a few
      moments.

      A moment here and there, perhaps, is all that Life needs,
      to become aware of itself traversing the eons,
      galaxy-hopping from star-system to star-system, turning on
      the evolutionary genetic threadline to conscious thought in
      various, possibly randomly selected creatures - i.e.,
      making "people". (People exist at all levels of existence,
      People are those "who think". Humans ARE NOT the only
      "People".)

      You look out over your own inner life, and you readily
      notice that you can only maintain a conscious thought for a
      moment or very few, then minutes or very many of
      forgetfulness, then a conscious thought for a moment or
      very few.

      Such may be similar for Life. Life is aware of what it's
      thinking, through man (people) - which for man takes 5000
      years to experience, while for Life is only a few moments.
      At the extreme leading edge of living, where yesterday
      meets tomorrow, thought in man, in someway, is linked to
      the thought of all mankind, is linked to the thought of
      Life itself - and *can* be individually experienced by
      anyone in whom the process of thinking is fully functioning
      - not clouded by content. It's possible to directly think
      what Life is thinking - and that would mean to know what
      Life knows. Consider, and then go, hmmm.

      Individuals can not see or even imagine the future - can
      not know whether mankind will survive as a species for the
      next thousand or more years. So what is an individual
      human, within this mysterious milieu? Strutting and
      fretting about for sixty or seventy years constrained by
      one puny little life of shattered dreams and manufactured
      sorrows?

      Life needs man to think with, the way man needs neurons to
      think with, but man does not need ALL his neurons, nor does
      Life need all men. Enough, yes. Since the last 500 years or
      so, there have been "enough" so that the rate of
      civilization growth, has begun to speed up to the degree
      that today, someone can know more about "life on this
      planet" by the age of 30, than was known by ALL the people
      who ever lived before. The instant explanation to that is
      that we have more knowledge now, than then, and because the
      brain functions as it does, that explains why we can know
      more. But that's incorrect. What's changed, is not the
      amount of information - the information about existence was
      ALWAYS there, available. What changed, is the process of
      thinking which improved, starting about 500 years ago, and
      has been improving, quite automatically, generationally,
      for some apparent "reason", since then. With improved
      thinking, you get more information - not the other way
      around.

      When there is massive upheavals - wars, famines, diseases,
      large-scale death - and small or large portions of humanity
      disappear, Life goes on; just as for man, in injury,
      wherein portions of the brain are destroyed - and don't
      regenerate the way body cell-structures do - the "person"
      continues (or may, for some damage is just TOO great).

      Genetics, combined with hormones, control sexual activity,
      from birth till death - regardless what anyone says. When a
      person "selects" someone of the opposite sex, resulting in
      a union that lasts long enough for the output of some
      flesh-and-bone product (a baby), they've done so because
      they (their genes) want to put their own genes into the
      future population, and they want that other person to do it
      with - regardless what anyone says about Love, desire for
      children, etc. Life and genetics control all of it.

      The genetics, the physics, the chemistry, the electricity,
      of the situation is so complex and unknown to mankind (even
      WITH all he does know today), that any "serious" talk about
      Enlightenment, or achieving oneness, or merging with the
      absolute, is mostly non-sense, and just an example of
      humans giving "pep-talks" to each other ("there, there, my
      son, everything will be OkeyDokey, if you'll just follow my
      advice...).

      There are genetic forces pressing upon everyone, and the
      only possibility is to uncloud the mind, freeing up the
      process of thinking, in order to acquire NEW information.
      Taking SERIOUSLY all that you hear and think, is the
      clouding of the mind. NOT TAKING SERIOUSLY, same, is the
      process of un-clouding the mind.

      Enlightenment, without Understanding, is at best,
      accidental, and at worst, not enlightenment at all, but
      imagination, or simply the memory of getting outside Time
      for a moment or two, but bringing nothing back. One is the
      same afterward as one was before, but with another story to
      tell. Acquisition of stories, to share and communicate
      around the planet, are part of the process of thinking, and
      contributes to the transfer of necessary energies, which
      ARE the growth of civilization. The content of those
      stories - are for the most part - meaningless.

      ---------------------Hai Dhee Ho (999 - )

      P.S. Sorry for the length, but...know this, it was all
      made-up; information from somewhere or sometime.

      KEN WILBER
      from No Boundary
      contributed by Viorica

      Real spiritual practice is not something we do for twenty
      minutes a day , for two hours a day , or for six hours a
      day. It is not something we do once a day in the morning ,
      or once a week on Sunday. Spiritual practice is not one
      activity among other human activities ; it is the ground of
      all human activities , their source and their validation.
      It is a prior commitment to Transcended Truth lived ,
      breathed , intuited , and practiced twenty-four hours a
      day. .... If you feel this deep commitment to realization ,
      to service , to sacrifice , and to surrender , through all
      present conditions to infinity itself , then spiritual
      practice will be your way naturally .

      BOBBY G.

      Three years ago in Moab Utah I decided to practice ahimsa
      in the preparation for a complete astanga yoga plunge.

      I watched for the ants to try not to step on them. As my
      caring for them grew I became doubly blessed. I felt more
      compassion for myself and I found that for some reason I
      would look down when I was about to step on a critter.

      It was pretty phenomenal the way it worked. It was as
      though the need to live for that small bit of life came
      through to me in some way, on a level not noticed till I
      wanted to notice it. May you be graced to find a spiritual
      master in this life and enlightenment in this moment.

      JODY

      Novelty is Maya's primary means of seduction, as well as
      Her prime objective. Life is all about a constant movement
      in the direction of novelty. In both nature and technology,
      novelty is what gets things done.

      Maya's dance of novelty plays on the screen of the mind and
      the mind reacts. But we've never had anything to do with
      that. That's the truth of the Self. There's nothing novel
      about it. Novelty flashes throughout the universe yet the
      Self rests alone, untouched by any of it.

      Maya's greatest trick is the thought that we're novel
      beings. Much of what there is about a person is based in
      our novelty. No wonder we keep missing ourselves. Our
      awareness is bound up tracking novelty.

      But we are none of it, not one bit of it. There is just
      nothing novel about who we are.

      We may be the existence of all of it, from subtle to gross,
      but we are touched by none of it. Never.