Monday, April 8, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9, 2002

      Nondual Highlights
      Issue Number 1035
      Monday, April 8, 2002
      Editor: Jerry

      This edition includes much from the newly discovered Steven
      Seagal message board, especially pertaining to incense.
      You'll find a link to the website below.

      ANDREA DWORKIN
      Contributed by Su Gandolf
      the true mysteries, not the mystifying ones
      "I love books the way I love nature. I can imagine now that
      someday there will be no nature, at least not as we knew it
      together on Crete, no mysterious ocean, no luminous sky, no
      stark and unsettled mountains. I can imagine now that a
      time will come, that it is almost upon us, when no one will
      love books, that there will be no people who need them the
      way some of us need them now--like food and air, sunshine
      and warmth. It is no accident, I think, that books and
      nature (as we know it) may disappear simultaneously from
      human experience. There is no mind-body split.
      I never think of you without remembering the ocean. It is
      an emblem for me of that time in my life, of the depth and
      tumult of my feelings, of how my life broke out of my skin
      and beyond itself into an unknown, primal realm. The ocean
      does not signify anything whimsical, cheap, romantic, or
      self-indulgent. It signifies the true mysteries, not the
      mystifying ones. It signifies the light years between
      galaxies, as well as ones tie to everything on earth. It
      signifies ones tie to the enormity of being, to the mystery
      of this universe--stars, moon, sun, black holes, rings
      around Saturn. It makes one aware that this universe is a
      tapestry of the most awesome magnificence. It does compel
      awe.
      It has always been to me, the ocean, overwhelming,
      monstrous, deep, dark, green and black, so foreign that it
      requires respect, silence, humility. It is boundless and
      deep, no human sense of time can circumscribe it, it
      rumbles with cavernous sounds, it is filled with grotesque
      forms, luminous colors, shapes that defy imagination. All
      of the life in it is menacing, compelling, exquisite, with
      nothing consoling.
      I love books too in the same way."
      Andrea Dworkin
      MICHAEL READ
      every morning the sun wakes me
      every morning the same coffee
      every morning a baptism of being
      every morning thoughts come and go
      every morning poems, rants, musings and rambles dance in the head
      every morning the doing wants to be done
      every morning clothed in identity, the assumption of appearance
      every morning i am
      every morning i am not
      DAVID OLLER
      from the Steven Seagal Message Board
      Stories About Incense:
      Well, the first incense I remember is little black cones
      that came with a bronze burner in the shape of the Buddha
      like the one at Nara Japan. I still don't know what company
      they are from. It couldn't be Nippon Kodo because they
      started distributing around 1967 and this was in 1955.
      I know a lot of people that refer to equating incense with
      the 60's and the Hippies, but we didn't have much incense
      around then as I recall. What we had was Patchouly oil. We
      wore it, and we put it on light bulbs and cloth hanging
      over lamps.
      It wasn't until the 70's, as I remember (probably not
      perfectly), that Pier One Imports and the "Head Shops" came
      on the scene, and the Hare Krisna passed out sticks of
      incense, which I believe was a dipped product made by
      Spiritual Sky. Fred Solls I think was a salesman for them
      at that time, or soon after. Holy Smokes came on the scene
      in Santa fe New Mexico around 1977, introduced by Stu
      Masill & John Brown, but tradename problems created a name
      change to "Triloka" and when John & Stuart disolved their
      partnership Triloka went of the market for a short time.
      However, in 1952 a man named Will Schuster invented Pinon
      incense, and in 1963 Candice & Daniel Burleson introduced
      the product "Incensio de Santa fe" I do remember this
      product because my grandmother ran a Curio shop in Riodoso,
      New Mexico. She was probably where the other incense came
      from.
      Nag Champa was introduced in the late 1980's in one of the
      most brilliant marketing campaigns involving incense ever.
      The "Origination Seal" Nobody was making fake Nag when that
      was put on the box. It may have been on the box originally.
      I haven't been able to confirm it but I never recall it NOT
      being there.
      The other thing interesting about Nag, is I'm told, it
      never has had a legitimate connection with Sai Baba, and he
      has never recieved any royalties or anything. It was
      started by an Indian Businessman who is from that area, and
      just used the name. At least that is what some of the old
      timers tell me.
      But before the popular distribution of incense, back in
      1969, there was a little shop in North Beach. The owner
      made his own incense out of orange peel and other
      ingredients. He also carried different incense from all
      over the world, but none of the names you see today. Most
      of it came wrapped in bundles tied with string, a good deal
      of it was from Thailand acording to the descriptions I gave
      to Stuart Masill. Evidently Thai Sticks are 8" long where
      Indian are about 6" The shop was full of incense of all
      kinds, but they were mostly very simply packaged either
      wrapped bundles with a piece of paper, or cheap printed
      boxes. Sometimes wrapped in colored celophane.. I think he
      got his incense on travels to the east. He also had the
      best Patchouly in San Francisco.
      I'm trying to find more about the history of Incense
      Imports in the West, so I'd love to hear some stories from
      some of the Oldtimers and what they remember.
      JAMPHEL
      from the Steven Seagal Message Board
      looking at my grasping for nonduality, I stopped myself
      from damping the fire too much.
      balance! always finding the balance...
      not too loose, or I get lazy, drift off not too tight, or I
      get frustrated and ouch!
      another one of my cycles: moving between striving and
      surrender. Getting attached to the goal and wanting
      "something to happen," getting attached to to the idea of
      simply being fully present without any sense of purpose.
      Both lead to "ungroundedness" and loss of energy and even
      depression.
      I need to stay balanced in between. Keeping the energy of
      urgency and bodhisattva motivation (without fire the
      incense won't burn), while at the same time clearly seeing,
      acknowledging and accepting what's happening now, each
      moment (being in harmony with the way things are, burning
      evenly and cleanly, and releasing the scent.)
      a very preliminary point on this journey from myself to
      myself, perhaps, but at least I see it clearly now!
      in daily life, I can also practice "tuning" like this. When
      I feel tight, I can expand my view. When I get too airy, I
      can bring my focus back down to a pinpoint. sensing when
      I'm falling off balance and correcting it as quickly as
      possible.
      CYCLONE PHOENIX
      From watching Steven Seagal the way he moves, the way he
      talks, the way he fights I would say he is beyond religion.
      In essence i think he is the only person i have seen that
      has achieved Oneness. Which is what lead me to this web
      site.
      JOHN LAUNIUS
      from Steven Seagal Message Board

      Beginners mind man and Jamphel,

      Clarity comes only after contemplation of your experiences.
      Transmitting the "Way of incense" to you would be trying to
      teach you everything about Aikido in two weeks. There is no
      way to do it in two weeks if even ever. Cleansing your
      inner vision starts with a commitment to do so and then
      actions to back your commitment. You can use any tool to do
      it incense, Aikido, or even golf. We are all like muddy
      glasses of water. Do you have the patience to wait until
      your mud settles until you refract nothing but the light?
      Jamphel,

      Thank you for you insights. Keep them coming. We are all
      students and teachers. The secret is to know when to be
      which one? Maybe we are both all the time.

      Calm Abiding,
      John Launius