Wednesday, April 3, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2002
      Nonduality Salon (/ \)

      Nondual Highlights
      The Best of the Internet's Nonduality Email Lists, Forums, Websites, and More

      Issue #1030 Wednesday, April 3, 2002

      Today's Highlights Compiled, Edited, and Designed
      by Jerry Katz

      Nondual Highlights Home Page: <http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm>

      FIRECEREMONY

      from Live Journal

      Possibilities

      possibility

      << < when i touch your face

      my hand comes away wet > >>

      non sacrifice

      current mood: riddled with bullets
      current music: Gee Moure vs Tess: "Dum da dum"

      HURG
      from the Nisargadatta List

      "I felt fully satisfied and peaceful and thought that I
      could not possibly receive anything more than Maharaj had
      told me. I thought of going back to Arunachala the next
      day. I mentioned it and asked him for his blessing. 'If you
      feel like that, then you may go. Do you know what my
      blessing is for you? Until you leave your body, may you
      have full devotion and surrender to your Guru.' Maharaj
      looked at me compassionately. Moved at his kindness, I
      started to cry but controlled myself. Even then a few tears
      trickled down my cheeks. He smiled and gave me a piece of
      fruit. He then got up and taking a huge pair of cymbals,
      started to sing devotional songs in praise of his Guru. I
      bowed down to him and went to rest in my room."

      "On the Road to Freedom:
      A Pilgrimage in India, Volume 1"
      by Swami Paramatmananda Puri
      Published by,
      Mata Amritanandamayi Center
      San Ramon, California

      http://nisargadatta.net/SwamiParamatmananda.html

      Note: Swami Paramatmananda met Ammachi a few months after his
      encounter with Maharaj.

      MICHAEL
      from Yearning list

      Who Knows?

      Some time ago, there was a show on educational television
      about an obscure tribe in South America. They were isolated
      and very little was known about them. The only member of
      the tribe interviewed was a tall man with very long hair
      dressed in a long light colored robe.

      Most of their tribal customs were disappearing, but one of
      the most interesting things they did involved child
      rearing.

      It seems that when a child was very young, they were taken
      to a cave. They were isolated from the tribe and allowed
      very little interaction with the other members. They were
      supplied with all of their bodily needs and were never
      mistreated or neglected. Nothing of the outside world was
      seen.

      While in the cave, they were incouraged to picture a world
      that they would like to live in. When they were twelve or
      thirteen a tribal elder would reintroduce them to the
      outside.

      They emerged into a world of light shafts........filtered through a thousand
      greens.......butterflys.......hummingbirds.......the warmth of the
      sun.........waterfalls.......and streams full of living creatures......macaws flight......the
      perfume of flowers........all enclosed in an
      infinite blue expanse.....

      And at night.......a million sky-lights............and the moon......

      The rest of their life was spent in an awestruck stupor.

      ..................................and
      ..............That which lies just beyond our illusion of seperation?..................
      ........Who knows?.

      HEIDI

      In a parallel (perpendicular? maybe anti?) world, all the
      creatures are crystalline structures - people, fishes,
      birds, animals - fully conscious and aware, all living and
      breathing and having their being, adrift in a clear,
      infinite spacetimelight holographic continuum.

      Communication, for them, is about coming into and going out
      of focus, at will - de-lurking. Thus, it is not the
      observer that 'sees' another creature, by bringing it into
      focus, it is the observed that is 'seen' by coming into
      focus. Thus, once in focus, it can be and is seen by all
      creatures, including lurkers, invisibly out-of-focus.

      Creatures communicate while in focus with light, the
      omniscient omnipresent, and of course, this communication
      is instant, full and absent of ambiguity.

      Their language is simple yet complex. Most words simply do
      not exist: - Like Teacher/God (what one knows and shares,
      all instantly knows); - Like War/Death (you can't attack
      another you can't see unless they want you to see them);
      - Like, well, all other words which spring from the
      TeacherGod Life, eternally at War to the Death.

      War/Death the WetBrain, is ruled by Teacher/God the
      DryBrain.

      --------------Heidi Hmmmmmmmmmm

      SU GANDOLF

      Interactions Between Perceptual and Conceptual Learning

      <http://cognitrn.psych.indiana.edu/rgoldsto/projects/interactions.html

      Click on "See Next Mechanism" on each page for some fun
      illustrations.

      THOMAS MURPHY
      from See What Is list

      The way of a warrior

           Ray Kurtzweil:
           “Pattern recognition…is the fundamental capability
           of the human brain. We can't think fast enough to
           logically analyze situations very quickly, so we rely
           on our powers of pattern recognition.”

      Pattern recognition is the basis of familiarity and continuity.

      The term itself posits a process
      that evokes embedded patterns as a shorthand
      for rapid recognition of what-is
      thereby evoking yet more patterns
      that are taken to be present reality.

      We maintain a rolling summary of conclusions
      drawn from experience
      cued by sensation,
      cloaked in feeling and dreaming.

      Every one of us harbors a set of preferences,
      born of personal history.

      In dualistic terms
      one aims for a comprehensive reordering of this inventory
      according to a set of priorities proposed by don Juan
      as the warrior’s way.

      The way of a warrior is characterized by
           erasing personal history,
           losing self-importance,
           taking death as an advisor,
           assuming responsibility for one's inner state,
           being accessible to power,
           being inaccessible to the encumbering thoughts of others,
           disrupting the routines of life,
           performing every act as one’s last battle on earth,
           maintaining an impeccable mood,
           clarifying intent,
           deriving affirmations from the world around,
           acting with abandon,
           not-doing.

      These are the trimmed predilections of an impeccable warrior,
      born of a life of battle
      not with others
      but with inertial forces of
      personal history, routines and self-importance.

      ~ tomas
      (c) 2002 thomas murphy

      IAMOM
      from Live Journal