Highlights for April 2, 2002

  • Michael Read
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2002
      The Nondual Highlights
      The Best of the Internet's Nonduality Email Lists, Forums, Web sites, and More
      Editors: Jerry Katz, Gloria Lee, Christiana Duranczyk, Michael Read,
      John Metzger
      Highlights Issue # 1029
      Tuesday, April 2, 2002
      Today's Highlights Compiled, Edited, and Designed
      by
      Michael Read
      Search all editions of the Highlights: <http://nonduality.com/searchhl.htm>
      Highlights Home Page: <http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm>

      From the Daily Zen web page:

      http://www.dailyzen.com/

      As the gate of heaven opens and closes,
      Can you be impassive?
      As understanding reaches everywhere,
      Can you be innocent?
      Producing and developing,
      Producing without possessing,
      Doing without presuming,
      Growing without domineering:
      This is called mysterious power.

      - Tao-te Ching

      If you like Zen Gardens, enjoy:

      http://academic.bowdoin.edu/zen/intro_template.shtml?ryoan

      Some other links that may or may not work!

      http://www.serve.com/cmtan/buddhism/Lighter/buddhaworld.html
      http://www.serve.com/cmtan/buddhism/Stories/cucumber.html

      from: TheEndOfTheRopeRanch
      Judi Rhodes  and Rumi

      The way of love is not a subtle argument.

      The door there is devastation.

      Birds make great sky-circles of their freedom.

      How do they learn it?

      They fall,

      And falling,

      They're given wings.

           *** Rumi

      Humor Corner

      some buddhistical humor

      (image is from http://www.laughing-buddha-statue.com/ )
      This is not an endorsement, simply giving credit.

      Wise blind elephants

      Six wise, blind elephants were discussing what humans were like. Failing to agree, they decided to determine what humans were like by direct experience.

      The first wise, blind elephant felt the human, and declared, "Humans are flat."

      The other wise, blind elephants, after similarly feeling the human, agreed.

      --------------

      "There were these two Buddhist monks who had about 13 beers each.
      One had to walk home quite some distance.

      'Will you be all right to walk home?', the one asked

      'Of course, I will take the Middle Path,' he replied."

      ---------------

      "I gained nothing at all from Supreme Enlightenment, and for that very reason it is called Supreme Enlightenment."

      -- Gotama Buddha

      -------------------

      As is stated in the colorectal sutra verse 118: The enlightenment experienced through meditation can be compared to the sphincter muscle. It is the only muscle in the body that works when relaxed, and the more relaxed the more ecstatic the experience. Jungle humor with a touch of truth, everybody.

      - Kenneth J. Smith

      -------------------------

      A short conversation between Dan Bammes and Meng:

      Dan: A Buddhist teacher taught that every other living creature is our parent in one of our past
      lives.

      Meng: Similarly, every other living creature owes me money in a past life.

      ------------------------

      Q: What happens when a Buddhist becomes totally absorbed with the computer he is working
      with?
      A: He enters Nerdvana.

      ---------------------------

      Q: How do I become a Lama?

      A: Go to a monastic university and study for twenty-five years. Begin by memorizing
      Vasubandhu's Abhidharmakosha with its commentary (500 pages or so). Then study what you
      have memorised by hearing lectures on it and debating the contents with other candidates until you can argue every side of every controversy equally well. Then memorise several works of
      Nagarjuna, along with their commentaries. Then memorize the seven treatises of Dharmakirti. In additional to that study, you must master several forms of meditation and study tantric rituals for about two or three years.

      Alternatively, you can come to America and just call yourself a lama. Billions of nubile virgins will follow you everywhere and give you money.

      --------------------

      Q: How many wives or husbands does Buddhism allow?

      A: You may have as many as your tolerance for misery can bear.

      from: http://www.arlo.net/lyrics/amazing-grace.shtml

      Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
      That saved a wretch like me
      I once was lost but now am found
      Was blind but now I see

      Twas grace that taught my heart to fear
      And grace my fears relieved
      Oh how precious did that grace appear
      The hour I first believed

      And in case you have ever wondered what happens to all that baggage:

      http://www.unclaimedbaggage.com/

      No, it isn't necessarily non-dual, but it is interesting. And besides, we all have baggage that we could do without, eh?

      love eternal - your happy editor person