Wednesday, March 20, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 21, 2002
      The Nondual Highlights

      Outstanding posts sent to the Nonduality Salon email list
      and other online forums

      Wednesday, March 20, 2002

      The 1014th Edition

      Search all Editions of the Nondual Highlights:
      http://nonduality.com/searchhl.htm

      Editors: Jerry Katz, Gloria Lee, Christiana Duranczyk, Michael Read, John Metzger

      Today's Highlights Edited by

      Jerry

                 a message was written on the wall

                 in your room

                 you would read it every day

                 go out into the world

                 and live by the message

                 the smiles you sent came back to you

                 no one ever saw such a smile

                 a smile to a stranger on the street

                 they might turn and follow you

                 back home

                 there was the message on the wall

                 which no one ever saw

                 but everyone heard your version

                 and got their version

                 and spread that version

                 until the time no wall

                 was without a version of the message on the wall in your room

                 then you bought some plywood

                 took out your carpentry tools

                 the box was simple

                 but covered the message

                 the door locked

                 with a key you couldn't get duplicated

                 at the shoemaker's

                 and that was that.

                 so life went on

                 you became famous

                 and the message stayed in the box

                 you hardly opened it anymore

                 in fact it was enough to look at the box

                 soon you started building versions

                 of the box that holds the message

                 that you looked at every day

                 and which held something that everyone could have

                 so of course people built their version

                 and spread that version

                 and soon shops all over were selling

                 versions of the box that held the message

                 that was never revealed

                 and whose versions

                 have been covered over

                 by versions

                 of the box

                 that covers

                 the original message

                 that you've forgotten

                 by now millions of people had been killed

                 or abused

                 because of things having to do

                 with the box.

                 but that's just peoples' ways

                 it's always been that way

                 people need to respect each other's box

                 that's all there is to it.

                 there should be freedom to build whatever box you want

                 as long as it doesn't hurt anyone

                 plus we need to kill others to keep our freedom to build our boxes

                 and to kill those whose boxes we're not supposed to like

                 sort of thing

                 you know what I'm saying

                 okay.

                 fine.

                 then one day someone tells you your hair is mussed up

                 and you're ugly

                 well you don't believe it

                 but you don't have a mirror either

                 so you put a mirror on the box that covers the original message

                 on the wall.

                 now when you look at the box

                 you look at yourself

                 every day

                 until you can't stand it

                 and you tear down the box

                 you don't understand the message

                 anymore

                 you look out the window

                 you see buildings that look like versions of the box

                 you take your hammer to the plaster

                 until the messsage and a big sheet of wall

                 have crumbled down.

                 but oh it's only the world

                 you've heard there are places where the box isn't built

                 but you don't know how to get there

                 and as for now

                 well this won't do

                 so you rebuild the wall

                 put up a box

                 any box

                 that you buy in one of the shops

                 and all is well

                 not really though

                 it occurs to you that

                 there may be lots of people

                 who put up boxes because it's the right thing to do

                 but they don't see the need for them

                 any more than you do

                 so you start asking people whether they really want their box up

                 and they're polite

                 and all

                 and say of course they do

                 but now you've opened something

                 you sense you've opened the original box

                 and for a moment you remember the original message

                 but then it's gone

                 and it isn't long after that they've killed you anyway

                 there are still men, women and mostly children in rooms

                 sitting in front of blank walls

                 when a message appears

                 there always were

                 always

                 and will be

                 and it's really not anything worth making as much a fuss about

                 as people have

      --Jerry Katz
      from Live Journal

      AMIGO

      Dear friends,

      The words of Janis Joplin jumped up out of my memory while we
      were making this third Amigo: 'Freedom is just another word
      for nothing left to lose'

      A real 'jnani' edition with: free, freedom, free will, being
      the subjects in review.

      A scoop this time: an interview with Alexander Smit from 1988
      in which he tells us about his Realization after meeting
      Nisargadatta

      Further: Wolter Keers, Jan van Delden, Tony Parsons, Hans
      Laurentius, Douglas Harding, Ramesh Balsekar, a.o.

      Maybe Amigo will shed some light on the subject Free Will for
      you you can find it here: http://www.ods.nl/am1gos

      all the best the Amigo editors

      ~~~~~~~~~ the meaning of life, is becoming who you are
      [Gerard Reve] ~~~~~~~~~~~~

      in the land of nonduality you don't have to know which way
      the wind's blowing to be a weatherman.

      --Jerry Katz

      NINA

      "solving is something of a problem, yea? Problem fixes
      are just temporary. Temporary completeness until the
      next problem"

      I spend most of my waking hours solving problems.

      I spend most of my waking hours casting about in my Mind's
      Eye looking for what something will become.

      I have discovered that what I am looking for is really simply
      a connection to what is there already, fully-formed, just
      encrusted, hidden within Michaelangelo's stones.

      This activity happens to be accessed through the practice of
      architecture, but it could be anything.

      The toughest problem I am currently learning to solve is
      how to Live With not knowing (how to flash the sidewalls
      of a parapet cut, how to figure out steel member sizes,
      what the code constraints are, where that storefront
      window catalogue has gotten to, who ate all the office
      snacks, where that horrible mechanical vibration is
      coming from)

      and uncertainty (of outcome, of process, of correctness, of
      the future)

      I don't know about other professions, but in architecture, it
      is commonly heard that one never stops learning. This is
      another way of saying "Ya Nevah Know!"

      So, what do I know? Well, I'm getting around to trusting that
      "I can do it." That's the Big Solution, isn't it?

      Plugging along while living with it. The condition of
      continually addressing problems.

      I say addressing because solving is something of a problem,
      yea? Problem fixes are just temporary. Temporary completeness
      until the next problem in that area is brought to my
      attention. The problem is always there to solve, albeit in
      changing form.

      Life is an iterative process.

      working hard,
      or hardly working?
      Nina

      MELODY

      It is the Last Supper. Everyone has finished their dinner,
      and the waiter brings Jesus the bill. "Heavens above," says
      Jesus. "I can't afford this!" And he passes the bill to
      Peter. "Holy Mackerel!" says Peter, passing the bill to Mark.
      "Lord save us!" says Mark, and he passes the bill to James.
      This continues all down the table until at the very far end
      the bill is passed to Judas. "Holy Moses!" cries Judas. "And
      where the hell am I going to get thirty pieces of silver?"

      GENE POOLE

      "it is advised to work first to develop the widest
      possible conception of what is, to be able to predict
      downstream effects, of any deed enacted."

      Please look here:

      <http://www.innerx.net/personal/tsmith/QuanCon.html>

      Specifically:

      <http://www.innerx.net/personal/tsmith/Ganesha.html#IndraShivaGanesha>

      Quote: (describing the Net of Indra)

      "At each juncture there lies a jewel; each jewel reflects all
      the other jewels in this cosmic matrix. Every jewel
      represents an individual life form, atom, cell or unit of
      consciousness. Each jewel, in turn, is intrinsically and
      intimately connected to all the others; thus, a change in one
      gem is reflected in all the others."

      [endquote]

      To become aware of your nature is to understand that to
      massage yourself so to produce a state, is also the ability
      to extend this same state to others...

      This ability is latent in everyone. How it is used, for what
      purposes, to what ends, is the real issue. One who has only a
      small conception of what is, risks producing unfortunate
      (bad) consequences, by use of developed powers of this sort.
      Thus, it is advised to work first to develop the widest
      possible conception of what is, to be able to predict
      downstream effects, of any deed enacted.

      SU (SUGAR) GANDOLF

      Family outing to a Chinese restaurant

      This is a true story I hear every time I get together w/ my
      cousin and her daughter, who is now 18 and was born and
      raised in Houston. I reserve the right to screw up the
      details, and names have been changed to protect the innocent.

      Family outing to a Chinese restaurant. "Annie" is six years
      old. Meal ends. Everyone takes a fortune cookie. Annie reads
      hers first. It says, "Always obey the Golden Rule". She
      smiles contentedly. Her momma wonders. Asks Annie, "Honey, do
      you know what the Golden Rule is?"

      "Of course, Momma", she says. All eyes on Annie. She smiles
      confidently, sits up in her chair, and proudly proclaims:
      "Don't Mess With Texas!!!"

      Everyone laughs 'til the tears are rolling out of their eyes.
      They are not gonna have to worry about this gal one bit...

      GLORIA LEE contributes

      We can't help being thirsty moving toward the voice of water.
      -- Rumi

      NINA

      Words!

      http://www.critical-reading.com/grammar_reading_writing.htm

      "Some read the words as:
                   Woman, without her man, is nothing.
      Others read the same words as:
                  Woman! Without her, man is nothing.
      We find, to a great extent, what we want to find!"

      JAN BARENDRECHT

      Young children neither have a problem with death nor
      with nudity but somehow this essential simplicity is
      lost, replaced with a complicated set of moral, ethics
      and taboos... Disassembling this is what causes pain...

      The dog preferring me over its former 'boss' serves a
      good reminder of this. Not having been educated, not
      having learned tricks, not having fear, not being
      aggressive, the dog can walk, run and swim along freely.
      Today was very hot and when she saw an open bottle of
      water in the hand of an elderly lady, that was
      interpreted as an invitation to drink. The lady, first
      baffled, responded like a mother feeding a baby and one
      who knew it too :)

      JODY RADZIK

      THE MYSTERY OF TRANSMISSION SATSANG

      "It really wasn't meditation at all. It was creative
      visualization as performance art with him as the
      director."

      I have my doubts about transmission satsang. I was once
      a facilitator for a transmission teacher in the US
      Southwest. I spent 5 months attending his public
      sessions as well as going on hikes and to parties and
      art openings with him as he "made the scene."

      I learned the story of his realization, complete with
      fantastic descriptions of visions and meditation
      experiences. He told me he could see and speak to the
      Divine Mother directly, just like he was talking to you
      or I.

      He was really a nice guy for the most part, until
      someone stopped coming to his meetings. Then he would
      suddenly "know" things about this person because
      "Mother" told him so.

      His "technique" was to sit with the group for 15
      minutes, and then ask each member to describe their
      experience. As people told their stories, mundane and
      fantastic, he'd subtlety shape the interpretation to
      match his own, which was of course that the experiences
      were caused by him. He'd spend a lot of time praising
      those who did have grand experiences, as well as
      encouraging those who didn't.

      It was pretty clear that these folk were generating
      their own experiences which then got spun by him. It
      really wasn't meditation at all. It was creative
      visualization as performance art with him as the
      director.

      As for my own experiences with him, I came to an
      occasional blissy spot, but not anymore than I might
      have otherwise.

      He tried to take credit for those too.

      He never really seemed insincere, just petty. He
      obviously loved the attention, but all in all he was an
      ok guy.

      After a while I couldn't buy into what Mother was
      supposed to be telling him, so I left.

      I doubt whether anyone got enlightened, but who knows?
      I'm sure there were some profound moments for some folk,
      but I'm also sure a great deal of them were more
      suggested than authentic.

      If you're a transmission guru surrounded by people
      adoring you and believing that your touch brings light,
      a certain group dynamic takes over and fuels the lust
      for having an experience. There's a kind of manic peer
      pressure to be blissful, so you either have bliss or you
      make it up and believe in it. Either way, the guru gets
      the credit, and all you really got was the sideshow
      hypnotist treatment.

      There's a great illustration of this in the movie "Holy
      Smoke" with Kate Winslet.

      So there really isn't any mystery at all. Transmission
      satsang isn't much more than a pep rally with hugs. Many
      might have what turn out to be life changing
      experiences, but they had them because they believed
      they would. How could they not in the presence of God?

      There may be some genuine moments for some folk, but the
      whole enterprise of transmission satsang is really just
      a series of psychic transference parties with the guru
      as the center of projection.

      MELODY

      "I have often compared my experience of meeting the Dalai
      Lama with that of a tuning fork."

      Having never gone to one, I really couldn't comment on
      them.

      There was a time a year or so ago that I was 'meeting'
      some particulary difficult attachments. I was writing to
      my teacher about them....we were dialoguing back and
      forth thru email rather rapidly....and I was very
      emotional at the time.

      All of a sudden he asked for my phone number and called
      me. After saying hello and then hearing his name, I kind
      of relaxed and dropped like a ragdoll of sorts.

      All upsetness...all confusion immediately disappeared.
      And somehow, for some reason, a sense of calm and
      clarity came over me. There was such a sense of
      immediacy in just those few spoken words ....such a
      presence.....I just can't describe it.

      There were some words spoken, but to tell the truth, I
      don't remember them. I just remember.....oh, I can't
      even describe what I remember just that one minute
      everything was confused, emotional and painful,

      and the next minute there was such clarity and
      acceptance.

      My sense was that some part of me was
      ignited....'plugged in'....like a car that had been
      struggling by running only on 2 cylinders (perhaps
      chakras?) suddenly had all cylinders open and operating.

      I have often compared my experience of meeting the Dalai
      Lama with that of a tuning fork. Put one in the
      proximity of another that is already 'vibrating', and
      the other will begin vibrating right along with the
      first. When HH shook my hand it was as if a jolt of
      electrical current shot thru me.....like all of a sudden
      a 'thermostat' had been cranked up high. And I 'heard'
      him say (without speaking), "This too is you".

      I also knew immediately that that current did not come
      'from' him to me, but that it arose from within me with
      his touch and namaste bow.

      And as with the experience with my teacher, I can't tell
      you what he said that night in his talk. The words just
      became background music to what was happening
      energetically.

      JAN SULTAN contributes

      WHEN DUALITY AND NONDUALITY MEET, by Aziz Kristof

      "It is only when duality and non-duality meet, that the
      complete Understanding is born."

      It is true that there is only the Self, but by whom is
      this Self reached? The Self is not reached by the Self,
      for the Self is already One. Why would the Self need to
      reach the Self? There is no Two-ness in the Ultimate!
      The Self is reached by its foremost creation, which you
      recognise as your sense of Me. Pure Me is the primordial
      expression of the Source and the perceiver of all.

      If there is no duality, there is no experience. In
      non-duality, there is neither ignorance nor
      Enlightenment. Therefore, duality is meaningful and
      divine in this essence, for it allows Creation to
      happen. But duality without unity, that is, non-duality,
      is sheer ignorance. Duality, extracted from the context
      of Total Existence, represents the fragmented state of
      existence. From the other side, non-duality without
      duality is the absence of consciousness or simply death!
      It is only when duality and non-duality meet, that the
      complete Understanding is born. It is the ultimate
      meeting of time with timelessness; it is the ultimate
      reality of the Soul and the Beloved.

      The mind has to intuitively grasp the subtle meaning of
      the Non-dual Path. If one does not practice according to
      this understanding – one is not honest to one's own
      Soul. Either one lives in the illusion of a
      pseudo-Advaita intellectual 'Enlightenment,' or one
      lives in an anticipated future, overlooking the truth of
      the Now. If you negate the Spiritual Path and the
      necessity of the inner work, you are being dishonest
      with yourself. If you keep on saying that the Self is
      all there is and there is no need to practice, you
      simply deceive yourself. In such a case, you simply
      refuse to see how fragmented your mind is and how
      painfully you are disconnected from the light of
      Creation. Wouldn't it be sheer hypocrisy? Many
      Krishnamurti's and Advaita followers are stuck in this
      incomplete understanding. Here, denying the need for
      practice, one tries to realise the Self immediately. But
      one is unable to! The Spiritual Path is a reflection of
      the basic necessity to evolve, a reflection of common
      sense and wisdom.