Tuesday, March 19, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 20, 2002
      The Nondual Highlights

      Outstanding posts sent to the Nonduality Salon email list
      and other online forums

      Tuesday, March 19, 2002

      Part One

      The 1012th Edition

      Search all Editions of the Nondual Highlights:
      http://nonduality.com/searchhl.htm

      Editors: Jerry Katz, Gloria Lee, Christiana Duranczyk, Michael Read, John Metzger

      Today's Highlights Edited by

      Jerry and Michael

      JAN BARENDRECHT

      "Gold plated pills that are bitter at the first contact with the tongue but when chewed and swallowed, become the sweetest nectar beyond imagination."

      The Upanishads are considered the most clearly written
      statements regarding "That".. The required effort is narrated
      unmistakably in the Kathopanishad, the proverbial visit to
      Yama: mind-bodies die whether enlightened or not.

      No philosophy, breathing technique, meditation, visit to the
      'holy men' etc. etc. will change that one iota.

      Quite sobering up isn't it? Whether called Love, relentless
      enquiry or unconditional surrender (giving up 'having it my
      way') it is the only medicine that actually 'works', to face
      that... Gold plated pills that are bitter at the first
      contact with the tongue but when chewed and swallowed, become
      the sweetest nectar beyond imagination.

      The only variable, this proverbial visit to Yama can be
      delayed... Euphemized, decorated, beautified, put in music
      using all harmonic, melodic, etc. scales... That's where "all
      the talking" enters too...

      GENE POOLE

      For fans of the movie The Matrix:

      <http://www.innerx.net/personal/tsmith/Matrix.html>

      DAN BERKOW

      Who I am is not something you give to me, nor can you take it
      away.

      Trying to add to myself an experience of myself is ignorance,
      no matter how pretty are the colors in which the experience
      is advertised.

      If you claim that I need you to make something happen for me,
      and I believe you -- regardless of whatever fun or bliss I
      experience in the process, I have allowed you to reinforce
      whatever sense of lack I carry.

      Lacking nothing, I seek nothing from you which will improve
      my situation. If enlightenment is something to be added to
      the situation, it is ignorance. If it is not ignorance, then
      it doesn't need to be added.

      Straw In A Storm
      by Mace Mealer

                      Did you think
                      you would learn
                      anything
                      you didn't
                      already know?
                      No grand revelation.
                      No mysterious secret.
                      No high or low,
                      no far,
                      no near,
                      no inside,
                      no outside,
                      not even a here
                      and now,
                      to grasp
                      like a straw
                      in a storm.

      More of Mace Mealer's poetry can be found at:

      An excerpt from an excerpt:

      Dharma Dialogues with
      Catherine Ingram

      William Butler Yeats said, "We can make our minds so like
      still water that beings gather about us to see their own
      images, and so live for a moment with a clearer, perhaps even
      with a fiercer life because of our silence."

      Just being in the pristine awareness of here and now, you
      become as a reflecting pool, and those who gather around tend
      see their own images. What has been murky suddenly clears up,
      and sometimes in that clearing there is a fierceness. Truth
      and love don't always show up

      as honey dipped. Sometimes it takes a great courageousness of
      heart to allow a stripping away of all that is extra, all
      that we have been holding onto for so long.

      Haven't you ever had the experience of finding yourself with
      someone who is just quietly present and suddenly there is
      something like a quake in your being. Some big construct of
      beliefs or identification begins cracking up and falling
      away. And though it may mean immense change of some sort, you
      find that you literally cannot hold onto the false construct
      any longer. So you surrender. You surrender into this fierce
      clarity. And there is love, there is compassion, there is
      your own natural wakeful presence. Are you willing to
      surrender to that?

      More can be found at:

      http://www.geocities.com/~cathing/excerpts.html

      Zen Stuff

      Who would have expected that
      Self nature is fundamentally
      Complete in itself?
      Who would have expected that
      Self nature is fundamentally
      Immutable?
      Who would have expected that
      Self nature can create all things?

      - Altar Sutra

      http://www.dailyzen.com/

      GLORIA LEE contributes

      Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an
      understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

      JODY RADZIK

      People come expecting to get saved and they do. Did
      God do it? Did the preacher do it?

      JODY:
      Now I'm wondering why Dave has you doing his promotion as
      well. If he wants people to come see him, why doesn't he tell
      us about it himself?

      HARSHA:
      I am also looking for a good PR man hellmayo. Thanks Harsha

      JODY:
      And thus begins the process of guru mystification Harsha.
      Instead of expressing yourself directly to those you are
      trying to reach, you get your followers to promote to your
      potential market. They tell their stories of miraculous
      adventures and mind-blowing realizations, thereby juicing
      those who are looking for a way out of their unhappy lives.
      That is your primary market. These are the folks that "need"
      you the most, and these are the folks that will hang on your
      every word as if it were from God's own mouth.

      As Dan so handily points out, you've got to create a need to
      fulfill a need. You get your followers to tell everyone how
      much better their lives are for having met you as a way to
      tell your market that there's something missing in their
      lives, and you're the one of the few that can give it to
      them.

      They come expecting something to happen, and quite often it
      does. The same *exact* thing happens at a fundamentalist
      revival. People come expecting to get saved and they do. Did
      God do it? Did the preacher do it? No. They did it to
      themselves. The guru or preacher is just the placebo that
      allowed them to believe that something would happen to them.
      Bigtime gurus are in the placebo business. People open
      *themselves* and they get a glimpse of the Self, and the
      bigtime guru takes all the credit (and the cash.)

      Hey, that sounds pretty good. How about letting me be your pr
      man Harsha? ;)

      VIORICA

      There are many people that happen to them all kind of
      experiences. That doesn't necessarily turn one into an
      enlightened being.

      One might have the most divine experience,
      but as long as the ego is still there we are talking only
      about experiences . I don't know you and what you think about
      this, but we have three enlightened 'classical' beings, -
      Buddha,Jesus,Ramana Maharshi - and there are are more to be
      discovered as we enter deeper the scriptures ;

      A human may have all kind of experiences,mystical,divine,
      energetical..whatever,but that is not enlightenment,

      NINA

      In perusing the Nondual Highlights, I came across some Live
      Journal Prattle about gifts.

      I read that you went to the NondualitySalon search engine and
      typed in the word 'gift', to see what would come up.

      It strikes me that this is something like casting tarot. Got
      an ill or a question or an impending change? Go to the Search
      Engine, set your intention and see what comes up. Cross
      reference with internal landscape and external apparencies,
      deliberate, act.

      Perhaps you could charge for the use of the Search Engine.
      People could pay you money for Nondual Points (like the Karma
      Credits at Tarot.com) in order to pay the Machine for
      Insight. The image that comes to mind is that of the
      underground city in Metropolis.

      Ah, Nondual Points, the currency of the Salon.

      I like pointy things. Spiky ones, too. That's beside the
      point, I guess. I digress.

      Anyway, this is just a roundabout way to see if you're
      providing a value-able search engine service just to get us
      hooked before you start profiting from our search addictions.

      JERRY

      thanks for the 'pr', Nina. When i entered 'funny girl' in the
      search engine, your name came up.