Sunday, March 17, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 18, 2002
      The Nondual Highlights

      Outstanding posts sent to the Nonduality Salon email list
      and other online forums

      Sunday, March 17, 2002

      The 1010th Edition

      Search all Editions of the Nondual Highlights:
      http://nonduality.com/searchhl.htm

      Editors: Jerry Katz, Gloria Lee, Christiana Duranczyk, Michael Read, John Metzger

      Today's Highlights Edited by

      Jerry

      Editor's note: I hope you are enjoying the Highlights lately. This issue of the Highlights definitely has a light side. Chewing gum, dogs, and donuts are featured. Althought there is something profound in each of them. More typically nondual stuff is also included. Laura writes,  "I need some advice about some wierd kinda vibes I'm getting from my teacher...and I'm sure not going to ask him." And Heidi responds quite to the point.

      --Jerry

      MARY BIANCO

      "the important thing to do is to serve and feed people."

      Recently I saw the film Fierce Grace, a documentary on the life
      of Ram Das. Fierce Grace is a thoughtful and inspiring movie. I
      applaud Mickey Lemle for his fine production and Ram Das for
      exposing to the audience his tender vulnerability with profound
      courage after "being stroked by God". Ram Das continues to
      inspirit me with his wisdom and his undying devotion to the
      teachings Maharaj-ji. When asked Ram Das what his guru's most
      influential message, he replied, "the important thing to do is to
      serve and feed people." I sooo agree.

      The movie made me laugh, cry, and sigh...a lot.

      In N.Y.C. Port Authority station on the way home I encountered my
      first Krispy Kreme Donut shop. Remembering Jerry's rave, I bought
      a plain, glazed donut. Well Jerry, it was good...sticky, but
      good. On the long bus ride home I was content. Perhaps it was the
      resonance of the movie, the simple delight of eating a donut, or
      the beauty in the variety of colors of eyes that met mine . All I
      know is there was a sweet sense of awareness of the
      interconnectedness of ITall.

      Love,
      Mary

      PS And Jerry, I think you're really on to something with these
      donuts.
      http://www.dianefarrisgallery.com/artist/woods/news/krispykreme.html

      JERRY KATZ

      beautiful link. and without the link it's beautiful.

      did they give you a free donut?

      i went with my brother's family of four to the krispy kreme in
      los angeles. they gave each one of us a free donut while we
      waited to order. we ordered a dozen. so we got 17. and we ate
      them all.

      i love the girl who handed out the free donuts warm from the deep
      fryer and glaze shower. she has one of the great jobs humanity
      has ever known. her handing out of one donut could inspire this
      email forum for many decades to come.

      JOHN METZGER

      Typical Canadian?

      http://www.gumwrapper.com/

      DAVID MCMULLEN

      David McMullin
      canlisten@...
      Oak Park, Illinois - Chicago suburb

      We have a small group that meets about every 6 weeks to view
      videotapes and converse about the non-dual sages. Send email
      address to be notified, or telephone (708) 383-8154

      GABRIELE EBERT

      Dear All,
      there is a new simple Ramana info-page at:
      http://www.geocities.com/bhagavanramana with a collection of
      links I have found useful. As the page is exclusively dedicated
      to Sri Ramana, no informations and links about other sages,
      scriptures, advaita in general etc. are given. To find more
      detailed infos Sri Arunachala's homepage
      http://home.talkcity.com/GaiaWay/infinite_freedom is a good
      address. This here is a mere Ramana-page with a focus on where to
      order Ramana-publications.

      In Sri Ramana
      Gabriele

      HEIDI

       I need some advice about some wierd kinda vibes I'm getting from
       my teacher...and I'm sure not going to ask him.
      -- Laura

      You've probably given this "situation" too much thought already,
      since the ONLY person you should ask about this - immediately,
      before it festers any further, and causes a real ZIT or, eek!, a
      BOIL, is HIM - your "teacher" that is.

      Then, watch his face and hands (if he continues trying to give
      you the "eye", avoid them) and if he can't put ALL your "fears"
      and "concerns" absolutely to rest, without turning it into an
      all-nite "heart-to-heart", explaining himself and yourself to
      you, then leave that place, for good and don't look back!

      That would be the proper advice, in any case - leave that group
      and learn to think for yourself, little girl. Groups, and their
      leaders, are just ways to avoid having to think for yourself.
      Telling yourself that he knows something you don't, is both right
      and wrong, and it doesn't matter. What he knows, you don't need
      to know.

      Until you get a handle on your own situation, you will never be
      truly useful to yourself - and until then, any clever charlatan,
      con-man, cult leader, or stronger personality with an agenda, can
      run your life (and your possibility for ever thinking for
      yourself) right into the ground.

      As they say: "Wake UP!" Don't wait to be taught how to do it,
      because if you need to be taught, you'll never learn anyhow.

      ANDREW MACNAB

      The Picker

      He walks
      on all the roads
      carrying his sack
      picking the bottles
      and cans
      and o can that man walk
      in his rubber boots
      8 hours a day
      and in season he picks
      strawberries
      then blueberries
      then apples
      but bottles and cans
      is free money
      year round
      except of course
      when there's lots of snow
      then he stays home

      MATTHEW AND JODY

      "It's not the guru's fault if s/he gets elevated by his/her
      students, but it's always his/her fault if s/he gets comfortable
      there."

      JODY: A responsible guru could make him/herself aware of the
      distortions that are told about them and take steps to mitigate
      the resulting mythology and mystique.

      MATTHEW: .............that is not the gurus job though, it is the
      students job to de-mythologize the guru.

      JODY: That is, unless they want to use this mystique to gain more
      converts...which puts the blame right back on their shoulders.

      MATTHEW: ...........well in some cases the mythology keeps the
      "merely curious" away.

      JODY:
      It a perfect world perhaps. However, that's not how it
      happens.

      People look to gurus as a way to get self acceptance. If they can
      get acceptance from the guru, then of course they must be ok. The
      more powerful and magical and mystical the guru is, the more
      valuable his/her acceptance is. Therefore, the tendency is to
      elevate the guru to superhuman mythical Godman status.

      Any self respecting guru would understand this and make every
      effort to show his students that s/he poops on the same pot as
      they do. People need to understand that Self realization doesn't
      automatically render one a saint. People need to see examples of
      realization in everyday life. When a bigtime guru stands as the
      example of realization, people acquire all kinds of incorrect
      expectations about realization, effectively hindering their own
      self discovery as it has become templated by their bigtime guru's
      image.

      It's not the guru's fault if s/he gets elevated by his/her
      students, but it's always his/her fault if s/he gets comfortable
      there.

      JAN BARENDRECHT

      "the dogs show that you can't turn a retriever into a
      hunting dog or shepherd dog.. The human mind equally has such
      preferences"

      Although at a young age they are playful, a retriever type of dog
      mainly likes search and retrieve games, whereas a hunting type of
      dog mainly likes running games. So what you need is a dog that
      likes star mark games. Be careful though, not to take a dog who
      likes star war games!

      Actually, the dogs show that you can't turn a retriever into a
      hunting dog or shepherd dog.. The human mind equally has such
      preferences, some natural (fresh air, natural food), others
      harmful (passive entertainment, fast food). The like for the
      "scientific approach" is a natural one too as every child is born
      with an investigating mind. Consequently applied to itself easily
      reveals its fundamental not-knowing or stillness.

      NINA

      Well, Jan, I can see how it would be easy to fall into believing
      that it is impossible to turn a retriever into a hunting dog into
      a shepherd. The 'type' of dog is actually outside of the point.
      What matters is that all dogs have drives, all of them manifest
      to some degree in every dog. Food, play, social, etc. Master the
      drives most important to the dog and you master the dog.

      Be wary, also, of assuming too much based on the 'type' of dog. I
      live with two sighthounds with a low sight drive. Neither dog has
      shown a predilection to chase distant bolting objects. One dog
      has a nose that would land her in league with any decent
      scenthound and a pack drive that fairly assures that she will
      never leave her sight of me (and turns her into a shepherd when
      the 4 of us are not hiking tightly together). The other dog is
      dedicated to schedule schedule schedule and is happiest when
      leaning, lying, or pushing against his people, sort of a 75 lb
      lapdog. Not exactly what one would expect from Greyhounds..