Saturday, March 16, 2002

  • John Metzger
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 17, 2002
      The Nondual Highlights
      Outstanding posts sent to the Nonduality Salon email list
      and other online forums

      Saturday, March 16, 2002

      The 1009th Edition

      Search all Editions of the Nondual Highlights:
      http://nonduality.com/searchhl.htm

      Editors: Jerry Katz, Gloria Lee, Christiana Duranczyk, Michael Read, John Metzger
      Today's Highlights Edited by
      John

      ^^Jerry Katz, Live Journal
      when you think of the world
      you become reborn into it

      when you hold on to being
      you hold on to being born

      dying to the world means being without the concept of being
      looking back only to watch your chest go up and down

      be on your death bed
      think of nothing

      look back
      your chest goes up and down

      your body gets up and goes about its business

      but you
      you have died to it
      and have found your freedom from it

      let the world play
      i see that it's a small thing

      ^^Jerry caught on camera:

      ^^cee, Live Journal
      big fat zero
      *
      as a human being
      i am no one in particular

      just one of the billions
      of two legged mammals
      thinking i am unique

      as the absolute divine being
      i am no thing in particular

      having no definition
      blissfully unique
      without a single thought

      either way
      i is a big fat zero

      ^^dianalark, Live Journal

      Each of us is a
      living, breathing experience of,
      and an experiment with,
      the process of making
      the Unseen seen.

      This is the honor,
      opportunity and art of
      being human.
      ~ Metta Zetty

      ^^Your socks are full of life

      An Excerpt from Naikan: Gratitude, Grace, and the Japanese Art of
      Self-Reflection by Gregg Krech

      In this invaluable spiritual resource, Gregg Krech offers new ways to practice

       attention, gratitude, kindness, compassion, and love. Here's an excerpt on gratitude.

      "Perhaps our reluctance to thank things has to do with the distinctions we make. We
       distinguish the socks (inanimate) from the cotton plants, farmers, and factory workers
      (animate) who created them. We may be willing to thank the latter, but to thank
       the former seems silly. Many Westerners who say grace are thanking God, not the
       food itself, for the meal. God deserves our thanks, but to thank the food would be
       strange. We'll thank the mechanic for repairing our car, but to thank the car directly
       for taking us to work seems absurd. As long as these distinctions hold up, we can

       remain safely within these boundaries of gratitude.
      "But do they hold up? What are socks anyway? Are they anything less than the life
       efforts of the plants and people who made them? A cotton plant's life is the source
       of these socks. Farmers, factory workers, delivery people, and others gave moments
       of their lives to make these socks. These socks are full of life! If I subtract all the
       life from the making of these socks, there would be nothing left. It is true that they
       do not have a heartbeat. But they serve me just the same. Acting most unselfishly,
       they go wherever I take them, shielding my feet and softening my steps upon the
       earth. I have several pairs of thick cotton socks that provide a cozy blanket against
      our bare wood floors during the frigid Vermont winters. When I am mindful of the
       service socks offer me and the efforts that went into making them, I am thankful.
       Yet there is still this sticky problem of whether to say thanks to a pair of socks.
      "The best reason I can offer for saying thank you to socks is that they deserve it.
       Doesn't anything that serves, supports, and cares for us deserve a word of thanks?
      But here's another reason. Saying thank you to people and things will change your
       experience of life.
       Each moment we say thanks is a shift in our attention. A shift away from our
       self-centeredness toward others. A shift away from our problems and difficulties
       toward the support we are receiving from the world. Our attention is our life.
       Shifting our attention opens us to reality and reveals what has been there all along: socks."

      ^^Gloria, not trying to teach anyone anything, sends

      Nirvana.......Nagarjuna

      Were everything not empty,
      Nothing would happen.
      Nirvana would be a letting go
      And stopping of what?

      Nothing let go of, nothing attained,
      Nothing annihilated, nothing eternal,
      Unceasing and unborn---
      That is nirvana.

      If it were something,
      Nirvana would be contingent
      And would wither and die
      Like all other things.

      Can nirvana be nothing?
      Not to be something
      Does not mean to be nothing.
      Were nirvana nothing,
      It would be contingent
      Like all other nothings.

      Things are created and contingent;
      Nirvana is neither:
      The letting go of what rises and passes
      Is neither something nor nothing.

      Were nirvana both something and nothing,
      Things and nothings would be free
      Or nirvana would be as contingent as they:
      Darkness and light cannot be one.

      Can I experience nirvana
      As neither something nor nothing?
      This would be possible
      Only if something or nothing were.

      After the Buddha died,
      He was not seen as existing or not.
      Even when he lived,
      He was not seen as such.

      Life is no different from nirvana,
      Nirvana no different than life.
      Life's horizons are nirvana's:
      The  two are exactly the same.

      Visions of the beyond,
      Of eternity, annihilation
      Depend on how you see
      Nirvana, the past and the future.

      What finitude in empty things?
      What infinity?
      What this? What else?
      What stays? What changes?

      The dissolving of objects
      And easing of fixations is peace.
      The  Buddha never taught
      Anyone  anything.

      ^^Dr. David R. Hawkins, Power vs Force

        Simple kindness to one's self and all that lives is the most powerful

       transformational force of all. It produces no backlash, has no downside

      , and never leads to loss or despair. It increases one's own true power without

       exacting any toll. But to reach maximum power, such kindness can permit

       no  exceptions, nor can it be practiced with the expectation of some selfish

       reward. And its effect is as far reaching as it is subtle.

      Nothing you do will change you, for you need no change. You may change your
       mind or your body, but it is always something external to you that has changed,
       not yourself. Why bother at all to change? Realize once for all that neither your
       body nor your mind, nor even your consciousness is yourself and stand alone in
       your true nature beyond consciousness and unconsciousness. No effort can take
       you there, only the clarity of understanding.    ^^Nisargadatta

       http://nonduality.com/ground.htm

      Ground as living metaphor~~

      Perhaps the shallow end is like knowing I AM. In that position the whole story, the source

       of suffering, can be seen. There are only a few adults and mostly kids in the shallow end.

       The masses are out in the deep end treading water or floating on all kinds of crazy objects

       designed to feel substantial and like real

      ground

      .

      From the shallow end the whole story can be seen. The ladder is nearby. It's easy to climb

       out and enter the nondual reality, though it may take a while to dry off.

      ~~

      The seen is dead to him who has attained liberation, but is alive to others, being common

       to all. (If one man gets liberation, it does not follow that the world becomes free. Every

       man has to struggle for himself. Because men have the same desires, they have the

       same playing ground.)

      ~~

      On the ground between Knowing and Being..
      Why do we draw lines between what is known and what is not? What happens when

       the lines get crossed? Can there be a turning back?

      ~~

      now i am the ground
      upon which the tigers
      fight and i remain flat
      and feel the feet above
      and the claws slashing
      as the tigers keep
      fighting each other.

      natural and wild they
      are, and they do not
      know what they do, for
      they are only tigers.

      wildly they rip at one
      another and i am the
      support upon which
      their paws rest.

      i am the
      ground upon
      which they nurse their
      young and where they
      sleep and i am not

      different from them
      except that i do not
      fight.

      ~~

      so even selfish love is only impure when it is placed in relationship to a higher love

       which cannot exist with that impure love as its true ground....is the ocean impure ...perhaps,

       in relationship to a snowflake...but without one the other does not exist....

      ~~

      "As the nondual, timeless, ever-present, "groundless Ground" of the One and the Many,

       the Absolute "is equally and fully present in and as every single being, high or low,

      ascending or descending, effluxing or refluxing."

      ~~

      No one can live apart, from the satsangh of the heart. For your generation, is born of

      itself from the children that love creates. Each child the progeny of the mothering, that

       births you into loves communion. Without this intercourse, the seed sleeps in the ground,

       mute within the ice crystal.

      ~~

      I offer that at this crucial point of personal evolution, that it would be helpful to

       understand deeply the difference between God's will and personal will. This

       can become very confusing, unless one remembers that it is God who set this

       whole thing up 'in the first place'. Apparently, we are 'meant to be' or 'designed

      to be' so-tested. And what that means is that the whole thing is a larger ground upon

       which to behave. On this larger ground, one may see that God is indeed testing us;

      specifically, to see if we have the wisdom to suspend creating, and thus to fall into

       the pre-existing creation of God.

      ~~

      The bridging is revealing itself to you now, the current you feel will increase, perhaps

       the ground will shake and foundations move, but listen to the poem of love, hold it

       all together and finally as may pass the body both to a peace more powerful than

      anything you've ever known.

      ~~

      And remember, it is ME who is the darkest of the dark, exposed here on the

       common ground of this Heart.

      ^^Michael Read

      Do not look directly at me.
      You will not see me,
      Only my appearance will be there.

      Look out of the corner of your eye.
      Where sight is not possible,
      I am there shining like the sun!

      Step outside of yourself to see yourself.
      What you see is only a shell,
      The illusion is itself perfection.

      Rise far far above the earth.
      Glancing down you see a mere speck,
      Gazing about see your true self in all its glory!

      Shall we dance?

      ---