Thursday, March 14, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 15, 2002
      The Nondual Highlights

      Outstanding posts sent to the Nonduality Salon email list
      and other online forums

      Thursday, March 14, 2002

      The 1003rd Edition

      Search all Editions of the Nondual Highlights:
      http://nonduality.com/searchhl.htm

      Editors: Jerry Katz, Gloria Lee, Christiana Duranczyk, Michael Read, John Metzger

      Today's Highlights Edited by

      Jerry

      DAVID HODGES

      Here in the New England it is a gorgeous spring
      afternoon, the first really warm day of the year.
      People are out and about in their shorts and tees.
      I'm sitting here working, with jazz on the stereo,
      a breeze wafting in from the open window, sunlight
      streaming through the curtains.

      Here are a couple of spring haiku from long ago:

      I fell in love
      With the wings of birds -
      The light of spring on them!

      and

      In my hut this spring,
      There is nothing,-
      There is everything!

      -----------------

      GLORIA LEE

      Warm here too!!
      I am planting wild flowers and roses,
      cat following me around.

      HURG

      "Wrapped in mystery, hidden in the cave."

      The primeval one who is hard to perceive,
      wrapped in mystery, hidden in the cave,
      residing within the impenetrable depth—
      Regarding him as god, an insight
      gained by inner contemplation,
      both sorrow and joy the wise abandon.1

      1. Katha Upanisad, 2.12. From Patrick Olivelle, tr., The Early
      Upanisads (Oxford University Press: New York, 1998), 385.

      This is a pretty good summary of Ramana Maharshi's method, although
      it's written in veiled language. The "primeval one" in this verse is
      Brahman (the Self) and the "cave" is the heart center, so the meaning
      is: concentrate inwardly (on the feeling of me) until the innermost
      self is discerned in the heart and recognized as God. A similar
      reference occurs in the Maitri Upanisad 6.34.

      reposted from:
      http://www.realization.org/page/topics/self_inquiry.htm

      they live in the cellar

      you've seen the light in the cellar
      through the cracks in the floorboards

      you've seen movement
      throught the cracks in the floorboards

      after you lock your doors
      and go away

      they unlock them

      you come home

      your computer
      and the things you've saved
      all your life
      are gone

      you sit in an empty home

      you see movement in the light
      coming through the cracks
      in the floorboards

      they're coming upstairs

      they have three horns
      one protruding from each temple
      and one in the center of the forehead

      you want to strike one
      hard
      for all they've done to you

      but he hugs you sensitively
      and looks into your eyes
      with a mocking sadness

      they go back to the cellar

      all you can do
      is go shopping

      and yell at them
      to keep the doors locked

      when you go away

      --jerry

      JOHN METZGER

      Item has audio. It'll take a minute.

      http://www.jaybill.com/~jaybill/article.php?articleID=49

      JAN BARENDRECTH

      ANAGRAMS ON FALSE

      false , you know.. - Okay! Foul news

      false teeth - the last fee

      false hair - hail fears

      false beard - fears blade

      false flair - a frail self

      false name - a man's feel

      false gods - dog's fleas

      false demons - endless foam

      false beliefs - feasible self

      false ideas - safe ladies

      false opinions - if insane loops

      false reasoning - infernal as egos

      false hope - a posh feel

      false explanation - explains fatal one

      false politics - if it collapses

      false theory - float heresy

      false pedestal - spell as defeat

      false teachers - fearless cheat

      complain the destiny - impotence handles it

      DAN BERKOW

      Usually, realizing involves a subjective change of
      awareness, allowing something to be made real due
      to new comprehension.

      Whatever is made real by way of new comprehension,
      depends on the subjective awareness which is doing
      the comprehending.

      If this subjective comprehension is changed due to
      illness, trauma, or death -- the realization is
      lost.

      What then can be said about realization that
      transcends loss?

      Such realization doesn't depend on subjective
      awareness. And without subjective awareness, there
      is no object. Neither a gross object (such as a
      computer) nor a refined or subtle object (such as
      "love").

      We can say that such realization is not subject,
      not object.

      Once we affirm what it is, we supply subjectivity
      with an object.

      Having negated subjectivity and objectivity, what
      is left? There is no negator to be found, nor an
      outcome for a preceding process.

      There is no religion involved here, no teacher, nor
      teaching.

      But saying that there is no teacher or teaching is
      merely an idea held by a subjective awareness.

      To transcend that very subjectivity -- this is
      beyond explanation ...

      MICHAEL READ

      TEACHER TEACHER

      so you wanna be a teacher teacher?
      like darshan junkies do you?
      like miserable whining seekers do you?

      sure you do! you love them and want to help them
      you wanna be a good teacher teacher - yes.

      teach about jesus and buddha and love and the million ways to paradise
      right here right now - and how!

      tough roads lie ahead
      who has the courage for peace?
      do you teacher teacher?

      to escape the illusion - go through it
      if you chase awakening as an escape,
      you have a big hole in your butterfly net!

      the drop and the ocean - michael

      GREG GOODE:
      Beautiful thought Michael-San, a million
      ways to paradise! Many, many teachers teach a very
      narrow road, one that just happens to pass through
      themselves.... If they point to the moon, they keep
      the other three fingers pointing directly towards
      their own chest!

      MICHAEL READ:
      Yes, I know. It happens that some teachers are
      enamored with their understanding and feel a great
      compulsion to share their vision. and often enough
      their vision is close enough to other folks that
      students are attracted. and so a following ensues.

      though we have many teachers, preachers, religions
      and such around this world, we do not have peace.
      has all of the worlds words of peace ever brought
      peace? no.

      no one is teaching peace. even those seeking
      enlightenment are at odds with themselves.

      well the old planet has some shitty things going on
      all in the name of peace. and some cry for justice
      from a just god.

      no act of vengance will bring justice to our
      destroyed children. only mercy brings justice.

      well, you could at least try it!

      JODY RADZIK

      GURU CULTS

      "a circus of expectation and regret, even as
      the bank accounts continue to balloon."

      I know I'm being self-righteous, but I think guru
      cults suck.

      All it takes is a little time spent in one to know
      why.

      It's almost always one big mindf*ck. People begin
      to believe almost anything about their big time
      guru. Pretty soon stories about miraculous events
      and powers are being told. "Guruji sees your aura
      so he always knows you are thinking" or "When
      you're asleep guruji comes to give you instruction
      on the astral plane" or "Today guruji got me a new
      job." It's all bs.

      People spend thousands of dollars just to get
      close, competing for position among the other
      seekers and sycophants. There is jealousy,
      bickering and sometimes even treachery afoot.

      When people forget themselves in their guru, they
      gain nothing. It stops being about realization and
      becomes a circus of expectation and regret, even as
      the bank accounts continue to balloon.

      There are gurus who point at the moon and gurus who
      point at themselves. They may both know who they
      are, but the guru pointing at her/himself is of a
      lower grade, and to see someone go from pointing to
      the moon to pointing at themselves is a great
      tragedy.

      GREG GOODE

      Guru cults and the invisible hand

      "more nobody teachers and no-teachers are
      welcome!!"

      Not enough nobody teachers! Couldn't agree with you
      guys more!

      There's a not-so-subtle social expectation created
      in the neo-advaita satsang world. It's an
      invisible-hand effect. No one actually states it
      out loud, but it's on the mind of many attendees
      I've talked to over the years. Namely, to know your
      self is the same thing as being a teacher of this
      stuff. This erroneous expectation is set up because
      (other than in temples), about the only people ever
      talking about this stuff have happened to be
      teachers charging a fee and offering to pass on to
      others what they claimed was given to themselves.
      So for most people on this kind of path, the only
      examples of "enlightened individuals" were also
      teachers. The only people these teachers praise
      were *also* teachers.

      So people start to think ... "Hmm, if you're
      enlightened, then you teach. If you teach, then
      you're enlightened. If you don't teach, you're not
      enlightened." It makes people pull the plants to
      make them grow. It makes ordinariness boring and
      makes everybody want to be a teacher.

      That's why more nobody teachers and no-teachers are
      welcome!!

      Love youse guys, as they say in New Jack Sicky (I'm
      still in Hong Kong till tomorrow).

      JODY RADZIK

      "That's why more nobody teachers and no-teachers
      are welcome!!"

      That's what great about the NDS. It's full of a
      bunch of nobodies and we celebrate nobodiness.

      Nobodiness is where it's at. Let them desperate
      satsang junkies have their somebodies. They deserve
      them if they think they need them.

      MATTHEW FILES

      GURU CULTS

      "how can anyone make use of a guru when
      they come full of neurosis, full of expectations
      and projections?"

      what makes a guru cult? well it certainly isn't the
      guru. it's those idiots that surround gurus. if a
      guru has no followers is he still a guru? i always
      cringe when i read wholesale critcisms (retail i
      have no problem with) of teachers. believe me, i am
      the first to criticize the majority of teachers
      especially these new wave advaita guys and gals. i
      am also a strong follower/proponent of the
      guru/devotee path. the kind of path that says the
      guru is higher than god, and to do what the guru
      says not what he does, you know, that kind of trip.
      But really its all about the students. Not the
      teachers. There may be no wealth of good teachers
      but the same is true of good students. and by good
      student i mean seriously interested in knowing who
      you are, not specifically being with a teacher.
      there just aren't that many people interested,
      despite what they say. another interesting thing is
      that somehow there is an expectation that the
      dynamics in a group that focuses on a guru should
      somehow be different than anywhere else. this just
      isn't so, at least for the first 15 years or so of
      the group being together. all the ugly dynamics
      people see when they look at a "guru-cult" are the
      same you find in any group of people if you look
      close enough. why would it be any different?
      Usually it is the teacher that gets blamed in an
      ugly "guru-cult" situation. and there are some ugly
      gurus out there, let me tell you, i mean the mugs
      on some of these guys would stop a pit bull at 20
      paces. and i dont mean just the men. But anyway, if
      anyone needs to be blamed, and blame is best when
      placed acurately, lets blame the idiot, moronic,
      deluded people who come to the guru with no
      preparation. how can anyone make use of a guru when
      they come full of nuerosis, full of expectations
      and projections? they can't. anyone who has some
      degree of emotional, psychological maturity will
      not be taken in by false teachers. the problem is
      that most who do have that level of maturity
      believe they don't need a guru LOL. now often what
      happens is that when a guru begins his guru thing,
      all the people that come to him are in this
      wretched state, as most people are, so things look
      from the outside (and inside too) pretty ugly. but
      again human nature is what it is, and going to a
      guru is really no different for most people than
      getting a better job. or car or wife or whatever.
      it is just more of the search, founded in the same
      pain as a search for any material goods. but who
      ever sees this about themselves when going to find
      a guru. very very few. so hey lets knock off this
      guru bashing and bash the students instead, it
      might actually make a difference that way.

      GREG GOODE

      Even though I don't share your strong support for
      the guru/devotee path, I think your message is one
      of the most candid and lucid statements I've ever
      read of this point of view. Thanks for sharing it!

      I have a friend in New York who for the last 15
      years has been in several guru cults and followed a
      few satsang teachers around. Until he didn't. Since
      breaking away from all of that, he thought very
      deeply about it for a few years. He came to
      somewhat the same conclusion you did - Take a look
      at the students. In his estimate, most of the ugly
      dynamics are due to low self esteem and unresolved
      parental issues on the part of the students. He
      actually wrote about this and posted it on NDS.
      There were several angry responses to his
      message....

      JUDI RHODES

      Twelve priests were about to be ordained. The final
      test was for them to line up in a straight row,
      totally nude, in a garden while a sexy and
      beautiful, big breasted, nude model danced before
      them. Each priest had a small bell attached to his
      penis and they were told that anyone whose bell
      rang when she danced in front of them would not be
      ordained because he had not reached a state of
      spiritual purity.

      The beautiful model danced before the first
      candidate, with no reaction. She proceeded down the
      line with the same response from all the priests
      until she got to the final priest (Carlos). As she
      danced, his bell began to ring so loudly that it
      flew off and fell clattering to the ground.

      Embarrassed, Carlos took a few steps forward, bent
      over to pick it up and set off all the other bells.

      -- Happy Days, Judi

      JERRY

      It just goes to show you, people will do anything
      to get a post into the Nondual Highlights.