Wednesday, March 13, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 14, 2002
      The Nondual Highlights

      Outstanding posts sent to the Nonduality Salon email list
      and other online forums

      Wednesday, March 13, 2002

      The 1002nd Edition

      Search all Editions of the Nondual Highlights:
      http://nonduality.com/searchhl.htm

      Editors: Jerry Katz, Gloria Lee, Christiana Duranczyk, Michael Read, John Metzger

      Today's Highlights Edited by

      Jerry

      The Ghost of Laughter

      while eating yogurt
      with a plastic knife
      reading the eccentric
      shenanigans of Charles Bukowski
      I think
      of something to write

      what a fool
      I can really be
      messing around
      with the thing
      that got me into trouble
      in the first place

      a hasty intellect
      breathing the dead air
      of somewhere else
      as if capable
      of escaping the ghost
      of its own presence

         - Tykal
      (from the Yearnings list.)

      JAMES TRAVERSE

      "the seeker by seeking guarantees that there will
      never be 'finding'"

      Yes, it is a conclusion when there is someone
      concluding.

      Like the physicists who describe the Stillness of
      Change with a particular commentary and then they
      make the 'Theory of Everything' the Holy Grail of
      physics.

      This process negates itself because, as you say,
      'the potential to verify/express that is movement
      itself'- in other words they are 'whirling' about
      attempting to resolve an issue that they created by
      commenting at all. Or the seeker by seeking
      guarantees that there will never be 'finding' -
      there will be 'whirling' (I like that translation
      for 'vrttis' - Thanks)

      Seeing this self-evident fact is the ending of the
      entity who is concluding. That is Stillness and
      Change is the nature of things.

      In order to see change I have to be changelessness
      - this is True but if 'I' am concluding it, then it
      is self-negating.

      When 'I' am not involved there is Stillness. When
      'I' am not concluding, theorizing or commenting in
      any way - Stillness is Movement.

      JAN BARENDRECHT AND DAN KELSO

      "...instead of fainting, suddenly there was this
      "awake" thing - and as if it had been so always."

      JAN:
      Hi Dan,

      To be in love with Love is unparalleled - it's
      independent of the "visuals". The more screwed up a
      relationship, the better! That is what the Sufi
      tales regarding 'scorned love' are pointing at. If
      the "physical thing" is a brooklet, the "real
      thing" is a storage lake, once full, never to be
      empty again. The one-time discovery is to be the
      lake... It doesn't have to end the brooklet, but
      the brooklet certainly will lose its former
      relevance, or become a non-issue.

      Love,
      Jan

      DAN:
      Thanks Jan, interesting perspective, and worth
      investigating. Do you have an experience that
      relates?

      JAN:
      I had an ongoing 8 months experience of what i
      wrote - venting speculative theory would "bite
      back" so to say. What i didn't tell is that the
      condition called "wasted heart" is painful as
      everything, formerly bringing pleasure, no longer
      does. And what formerly was painful, no longer
      evokes a response strong enough for action... How
      to arrive at the insight that pleasure and pain are
      two sides of the same coin doesn't matter - in my
      case it was having failed in an anti-military
      action that brought the insight. It was enough to
      take leave of life literally but the secret service
      thought otherwise. I was taken out of coma (and an
      NDE) and had to face the fact, to have lost the
      interest in life, out of reach of the supreme peace
      of the NDE, plus the knowledge, one can only take
      leave of life once... This situation, having lost
      all interest, performing duties only, lasted 4
      months - it changed radically when feeling to faint
      and falling in a compartment of a revolving door,
      when instead of fainting, suddenly there was this
      "awake" thing - and as if it had been so always.
      Erring on the side of caution, doctors prescribed 1
      week rest and i reflected incessantly on what had
      happened. As a result, i became aware of what in
      the post (above) is called 'brooklet & storage lake'.
      That phase took 8 months to complete...

      LETTER TO AMERICA

      SKYE CHAMBERS.
      Response from CHRISTIANA DURNACZYK

      "The US for all its claims of freedom allows its
      public media to be censored, and it refuses to
      publicly acknowledge the mess it makes and the real
      reason why the Muslim world has been burning its
      flag since 1953!"

      "How can a small number of world citizens
      who seem aware, yet who themselves have a hard
      enough time finding mutual balance, affect a
      machinery of memes gone mad?" --CD

      SKYE:
      Hi gang, long time no see :-)

      I've just watched a documentary here in OZ called
      'Letter to America' which gave the Arab view of how
      they see America and basically this is what they
      say, and the pictures were very disturbing.

      The Muslim world is under American occupation. It
      has become either a collection of US military
      bases, countries who are targets of military
      aggressions or compliant markets for the sale of
      utterly useless and cripplingly expensive US
      armaments.

      American interference has caused the death of
      hundreds of thousands in Hiroshima/Nagasaki,
      180,000 in El Salvador, 70,000 in Iran, 1,200,000
      in Iraq, 800,000 in Indonesia and the list goes on
      and on, yet Americans remain ignorant of the
      enormity of the crimes of their politicians and
      their foreign policies.

      The Americans did not go to Kuwait as heavenly
      saviours to liberate it! to defend Kuwait because
      Sadam was a fascist, but to colonise the Arab
      world, to manipulate Arab political decisions, to
      establish military bases so that they could control
      the sources of oil, and to further protect Israel.
      These were its real aims.

      The US for all its claims of freedom allows its
      public media to be censored, and it refuses to
      publicly acknowledge the mess it makes and the real
      reason why the Muslim world has been burning its
      flag since 1953!

      This war against terrorism has an underlying
      motive. To change the current power balance in the
      region as a whole, in order to give the US,
      military bases in central Asia, and to have its
      army occupy that region as it did in the Gulf. All
      under the convenient banner of "War Against
      Terrorism".

      Since Sept 11 Arabs are now engaged in a process of
      self examination, seeking to understand the roots
      of the extremism that flourishes in the area, and
      are concluding that poverty is more a product of
      political repression and social injustices, than
      lack of resources.

      This is a war being fought as wars have always
      been, between 'the haves and the have nots' and
      under the pretext of religion. It is really being
      fought for political reasons and economic
      objectives as wars always have been. It is not
      really a show down between Islam and Christianity,
      but pretending it is may have dire consequences for
      us all.

      America has contributed to the extremism in the
      east by financing islamist groups to fight its
      dirty wars by proxy, most obviously in Afghanistan.
      These groups once created are politically motivated
      and use religion as an expedient cover. Many Muslim
      countries deal with these radicals by deporting
      them to Afghanistan, thereby compounding the
      problem. Many Arab governments were sending people
      to Afghanistan, for example if people from the
      south of Egypt tried to settle in Cairo they would
      be told to go back, as the city could not
      accommodate them, or they would be sent to
      Afghanistan.

      The Arab world wonders why the US predominantly
      gives support to undemocratic regimes, regimes that
      suppress political freedoms. If that support was
      lifted the people can then change themselves, but
      it better suits American interests to support
      compliant undemocratic regimes rather than risk the
      emergence of independent governments that might
      oppose US domination of the sources of wealth.
      America is obsessed with regional security, its in
      it's interests to keep cheap oil flowing from the
      Gulf to the US to maintain its own economy.

      Arab nation are realising they are probably the
      least democratic governments in the world and what
      they do not need is more totalitarian, oppressive
      governments. Its not healthy for them to be
      pressured by America. Extremism does not help the
      poor in any part of the world. They are beginning
      to realise they must seek political pluralism, if
      they are to be a part of this changing world. They
      realise a giant step has to be taken if life is to
      change in the Arab world. US oppression does not
      help matters.

      Iran has had a particularly bitter relationship
      with the US since 1953 when their favourite
      president Dr. Mossadigh - a reformer and democrat
      who wanted real independence for his country - was
      over thrown by the US in 1953. To achieve this
      independence he had nationalised the oil company
      which, up until then, had been providing the US
      with cheap oil. But nationalisation was an
      unthinkable act of independence and the US
      immediately toppled Dr.Mossadigh, an act that
      sparked hostility against the west and years of
      upheaval in Iran, and which put in his place a
      compliant and repressive Shah. This was when the
      first American flag was burnt. Before then they had
      been very open to the US.

      Yet after Sept 11, 5,000 Iranians gathered in a
      candlelit vigil for the victims of the attacks as
      an expression of their human sympathy chanting over
      and over "condolences America" and which lasted for
      2 weeks! yet the west saw little footage or reports
      of it. Such is census of the 'free world'.

      In Nov the American Embassy in Iran re-opened with
      a new name, it is now called 'The Museum of
      Arrogance'. It is the same building where the 52
      hostages were held in the 1979 revolt for
      independence and where once again the US had
      interfered and once again a repressive government
      was put in place sending Iran back into the middle
      ages.

      The exhibits remind Iran how America behaves in the
      world. Iranians know to their cost, how lacking in
      principles US foreign policy can be. Each room in
      the museum is a testament to a different American
      mis-adventure which has cost some country somewhere
      very dearly. What is clear is that the relationship
      between America and the rest of the world needs to
      change. It needs to be based on respect. No such
      respect is evident from the sad record of America's
      recent political history, as illustrated rather
      crudely in the length and breadth of those rooms.

      Whenever Iran voices its view about foreign
      relations, the first notion that the Iranian
      leaders use - and its actually written in their
      constitution - is the notion of dignity. They say
      they will have relations with countries that
      respect their dignity. The notion of dignity has
      been missing in Iran/US relations. Iran is trying
      to achieve independence, but as long as the US
      keeps undermining their attempts, Iranians are
      going to be hostile. Like other Muslim countries
      they have had to fight hard to defend their
      integrity in their dealings with America.

      America needs to acknowledge the truth, that other
      countries will only stop resenting it when they are
      free from its intolerable interferance and
      domination.

      What mystifies the Arab world most is America's
      lack of awareness about its real behaviour and they
      despair, that if not even a tragedy like Sept 11can
      wake them up, what will? One man who had lost
      *everything* as a 10 year old child - and it had
      affected his whole life - was asked "if you could
      say something to America what would you say?" and
      his exact words were (and the kindness was still
      there!) "America we feel your pain, isn't it about
      time you felt ours?"

      -------------

      CHRISTIANA DURANCZYK

      Hello, Skye, dear old friend..

      how nice to see your name here, albeit with such a
      sober message.

      Thank you for taking the time to return to share
      this perspective. I sense you have done so as
      education, and from deep concern. There is, no
      doubt, much truth in what you've shared. As segue
      with Gene's post today about the distortion of
      identity, there is a ripening need for all citizens
      on this planet in these times to dare to ask bold
      questions beyond all rhetorical positions.

      What are the questions which beg asking? Who am I?
      Who are we? Why are we alive now? Who is being
      served? Who might we be were we all to taste true
      freedom? How can a small number of world citizens
      who seem aware, yet who themselves have a hard
      enough time finding mutual balance, affect a
      machinery of memes gone mad?

      Americans? Yes.. a culture largely lost in blind
      sentience and sentimentality. Sobriety, not a
      marketable commodity, is marginalized. We act where
      we can in what shows up before us. Alive in this
      paradoxical dance of doer-no doer; living- being
      lived. Response-ability appearing to lie on the
      pinhead of keen awareness, moxie and heart freedom.

      Pondering all this with you.. and mostly, grateful
      to feel your presence again. And *that*, gratitude
      for shared fellowship in all This, is probably the
      only true response I can offer.

      I hope life is showing up gently for you over there
      in the land of Oz.

      much love,
      Christiana

      GETTING OUT OF THE LOOP

      JAN BARENDRECHT AND GENE POOLE

      "The politics of the interpersonal, dictate exactly
      how we are allowed to set our boundaries. To usurp
      this power for oneself, is to state (ultimately)
      divorce from convention." --GP

      JAN: The infinite regression is obvious when the
      seeming duality observer-observed no longer exists
      but instead, observing is seen a process.
      Consciousness is no way forbids infinite regression
      as in mathematics it's quite ordinary and it's
      called "bug" when it causes a computer program to
      hang. Not to mention that the behavior of
      mind-bodies, "hung" in such mental loops, becomes
      self-evident once these loops have disappeared. The
      mind as a processing machine is infinite looping
      itself. With the disappearance of the loops called
      conditioning (like the entire societal
      normativeness and the potential for feelings like
      shame, fear, guilt, embarrassment), the processing
      speed of the mind increases a lot which is easily
      evidenced.The analogy of a computer running MS
      Windows (conditioning) or Linux (utilitarian
      necessities only).. BTW, the word "vritti" for a
      good reason gets translated with "whirl".

      GENE: Thanks for one of the clearest statements of
      this sort that I have ever read.

      JAN: My pleasure! In my turn, i am grateful to
      Purohit Swami who translated the Patanjali Sutras
      and added a commentary.. Not scholarly but based on
      what his master taught... Without that booklet, i
      would have rejected Raja Yoga from other sources...

      GENE: I could 'add' that for so many people, the
      boundaries of perception (sic) are formed by the
      extent of the loops; that such loops represent the
      'edge of the flat Earth', beyond which point it is
      'impossible' to travel.

      JAN: How true - and when the edge of the earth is
      reached, the issue suddenly is said to be beyond
      discussion. In such cases, putting an end to
      relations isn't a choice... Strange as that may
      seem, the "edge of the flat earth syndrome" can be
      observed in "spiritual" ppl as well...

      GENE: Seeing this, we can imply that such loops are
      formed by convention/conditioning, and that because
      the loops are formed, they can also be unformed or
      dissolved.

      JAN: Of course - these loops are infinite suffering
      and the Buddha was one, showing they can be
      dissolved... He knew and warned for the "spiritual"
      loops as well - the like for samadhis for instance.

      GENE: Speaking for myself, for the majority of my
      life, I lived in terror of what 'lay beyond' the
      limits of my perception; I would allow that
      something was there, but that no person was
      actually able to directly experience it. I allowed
      that there could be no observation of it (what was
      'beyond') and that the only allowable versions had
      to be named as 'theories'.

      JAN: I didn't forget a thread that went on the
      issue of abuse - you were one of many having been
      hit hard... Trauma is one of the most difficult
      loops to dissolve. It sets what i call an
      event-horizon - that comes with a fear of 'beyond'.

      GENE: I see now, that my 'allowances' appeared to
      be of the highest forms of 'rational thought'; I
      was congratulated by 'great thinkers' for having
      this (now seen as irrational) 'position'.

      JAN: Yes, that's how it goes: all negative
      experiences are rationalized away - and it can go
      as far as to embrace views that are quite
      irrational, that then get defended... A kind of
      "social acceptance strategy", one is unconscious
      of, as "social animals", without transformation,
      won't survive isolation.

      GENE: Strange, that 'rationality' can so totally
      flip over; and that what was 'unknown and
      unknowable' has become 'reality', while the former
      refuge of 'rationality' is now seen as
      hiding-bunker/prison.

      JAN: That too i know well - it reminds of a vicar i
      talked out of religious belief, mainly because the
      deep rooted anger over hypocritical behavior by the
      "zealous believers". A day later, the vicar, in
      total despair, called my parents and asked what to
      do as his belief had diminished to an extent,
      preventing him to function as a vicar... His
      despair was such that temporarily felt compassion -
      as a sixteen year atheist teenager, until then, the
      consequences of actions had been ignored..

      GENE: The politics of the interpersonal, dictate
      exactly how we are allowed to set our boundaries.
      To usurp this power for oneself, is to state
      (ultimately) divorce from convention.

      JAN: Yes, and the consequences can be strange...
      When after the spontaneous sadhana, summarized as a
      frenzy of love, light and laughter, i came to my
      senses again, it was impossible to communicate with
      former friends - as if an invisible barrier had
      been created. I had lost all former opinions...

      GENE: And how to 'explain' the why of this divorce?
      One must instead, resort to an 'excuse' which is
      read as valid by the minions of normalcy, to be
      allowed to simply live.

      JAN: Sad isn't it - i can put forward arguments
      that in order to transform the mind, a kind of mild
      psychosis is unavoidable and postponing =
      postponing this transformation... When the Sufi
      madmen roamed the earth, that seeming madness was
      accepted but these days it means funny farm and
      medication... Not a surprise, the reverence of
      Purohit Swami for his master, having been
      safeguarded during that phase of upheaval... That
      was where 'masters & ashrams' once were for, not
      the talks, travels and media..

      NONDUAL MEDITATION
      BY AZIZ KRISTOF
      Contributed by Jan Sultan

      "Awareness is reached by turning attention back to
      itself."

      For a few moments we will breathe in a special way.
      Through this breathing we initiate you into the
      practice of non-dual meditation. With each
      inhalation, we breathe into the third eye and stay
      there as long as possible. And with each
      exhalation, we relax into Being fully. When you
      keep your breath in the third eye, there is a
      particular energy experience and you will recognise
      it. Feel that the one who recognises this energy
      experience is you, and it is located in the third
      eye, in the middle of the brain. You are yourself
      this energy. That is the essence of attention.

      ... Silence ...

      That is enough. Still keep energy in the head but
      in a relaxed way. Now repeat a thought like the
      mantra: 'I Am.' Very slowly, in a very focused and
      contemplative way, 'I Am,' with full awareness. The
      moment you finish saying 'I Am,' before you say the
      next 'I Am,' feel what remains. This that remains
      is I Am, which is not a thought but your own
      presence behind the thought. So after saying 'I
      Am,' stop for a while. Feel your own presence, that
      which remains and again say 'I Am.' The one who is
      aware of the mantra 'I Am' is awareness. The one
      who remains when you are not saying anymore 'I Am',
      is awareness itself. Simply recognise this fact
      that the pure light of awareness is beyond
      thinking.

      ... Silence ...

      Letting go of the mantra, keep your presence in the
      head area, in a relaxed way with a gentle focus.
      And from that place you let go into Being,
      breathing into the belly, deeply relaxing into
      non-doing. Awareness is reached by turning
      attention back to itself. There is certain
      self-referral in the mind where the centre is
      recognised. It is a very strong energy experience
      in the third eye, the essence of intelligence, the
      centre of consciousness. Awareness can be
      recognised directly by turning attention back or
      can be slowly developed by paying attention, for
      example to the breath. When you breathe into your
      belly, when you remember, when you focus, Awareness
      grows indirectly. Being is reached through
      non-doing. When you are not doing, energy drops
      into Being. But you co-operate for a certain subtle
      surrender to happen. You allow yourself to drop,
      and with the help of breath, which deepens your
      energy in the Hara, the experience of Being is
      reached deeper and deeper. It becomes more and more
      expansive, until the point that you simply rest
      fully in the unconditional Samadhi of Being. Gently
      breathing and relaxingÂ… remaining in the centre.
      This awareness has to be like a laser inside you,
      penetrating your whole body. Just Being, even
      though you are not doing anything, you are. What is
      it? That which is called Being. ------------ If you
      do not understand anything mentioned above, please
      read the following:
      http://www.azizkristof.org/Meditation.html

      BOB ROSE
      from Meditation Society of America Yahoo Club

      Dear M-,

      We have a nice article about the OM meditation
      technique on our web site that also deals with
      mantras in general. The URL is:
      Personally, I love OM, but I find it hard to talk
      about. OM is infinite and eternal, and all our
      worldly words are so limited that I can't find a
      way to describe my experiences adequately. I do
      encourage you to continue chanting OM. There will
      come a moment when you have become so at one with
      this divine vibration, that you will join with the
      millions of others who are OMing with you at any
      given time. And that first hand experience of
      sharing the transcendant unity of consciousness
      will define "mantras" in a way that words can never
      fully capture. OM OM OM

      Peace and blessings,
      Bob

      DAN KELSO

      HIS 'STORY'

      "I experienced the space where I expected to see a
      me, and I noticed at that moment a leaf rolling
      over in the wind..."

      Hi Jan,

      I think I am going to relate my story to you
      because you seem friendly and bouyant in your
      asking (and against my tendency to want to avoid
      focusing on it too much for the obvious "nondual"
      reasons).

      Hmmmmm? Maybe not the long version.

      Now I can't even vouch for chronological accuracy
      because the recall mechanism seems to be just
      painting the most logical picture, but here goes:

      The first 17 years of my life had nothing I would
      describe as spiritual except at 10 I tried praying
      a bit and tended to put Jesus in a category of
      admired superhero characters like the Fantastic
      Four, Batman, Flash, etc. Ok, so lets say nothing
      happened. A more dysfunctional than average family
      helped launch me at college, school work, dating
      and four years of exploring religion, occult
      schools, scientology, etc. The last year I was
      mostly into eastern spirituality, meditated a bit,
      did some psychotropic (sp?) drugs (which was the
      first real flirtation with significantly altered
      perspectives and a permanent eye opener).

      About 4 years after graduating i am continuing to
      study mostly Buddhist practices, doing vipassana
      type meditation, etc., mostly having some moderate
      experiences of thoughts stopping for brief periods,
      feeling relaxed, etc. Then a most significant
      experience occurred while contemplating (inquiring)
      into the concept of no-self. As best as I can
      recall I was sitting at a desk with my feet up on
      the desk, looking out the window at the rainy sky,
      and I read a passage a buddhist text about there
      being no soul, no individual self. And I just
      looked "inward" thinking, though it seemed absurd,
      "maybe there really is no 'me' here?". And, it's
      hard to describe, but I experienced the space where
      I expected to see a me, and I noticed at that
      moment a leaf rolling over in the wind like in slow
      motion, I could feel life inside of me, I was as
      big as life, bigger, and it was all me, and it was
      all ALIVE, radiant with LIFE. And then this body
      went outside (it felt like my body was just "this
      body" inside of me as everything)this huge space,
      and it danced and skipped around in the rain for a
      hours, and the whole experience was bathed in
      Delight, top to bottom, front to back.

      Thats the first half, anyway. Hows that? Now this
      body/mind has to get back to a report.