Tuesday, March 12, 2002

  • Michael Read
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13, 2002
      The Nondual Highlights
      outstanding posts sent to the Nonduality Salon email list

      Tuesday, March 12, 2002
      The 1001nd Edition
      Search all Editions of the Nondual Highlights:
      http://nonduality.com/searchhl.htm

      Editors: Jerry Katz, Gloria Lee, Christiana Duranczyk, Michael Read, Joyce Short
      Today's Highlights Edited by
      Michael Read

      James is on  the dance floor:

                      Thanks
                      Jan,

                      Isn't  it all a great word game.
                      Love is reflected in how one
                      treats another.

                      The other is you - this is both True and
                      False, neither True nor
                      False, and either True or False - and/or
                      any other word game the mind
                      wants to come up with.

                      The mind can never know Love. The mind is
                      Love.

                      OneDuality-NonDuality.

                      Tickled by the dance,
                      Love,
                      James

      A sigh and a smile from Jeroen:

      Time is the best teacher, unfortunately
      it kills all its students.

      but then who/what are these students?

      Life is hard, it's breathe, breathe,
      breathe all the time.

      i breathe and smile :)
      love,
      jeroen

      Bobby G. tosses one in:

      Maybe it is the belief that a gooseberry
      is an object that just sits
      there unchanging that makes people look
      for the same in themselves.

                      Love
                      Bobby G.

      A taste from Jerry:

      Thank you, Gene.
      Your article set me off into the realm of values and valuiing:

      It seems that only the finite can be valued. The
      infinite or the ineffable can't be valued. God, a Higher Power,
      zero, infinity have no value. When looked at by themselves, the infinite and the
      ineffable can't be valued. They are sanctified, made holy. Then they are
      brought into a value system.

      Only the one who values, sanctifies. The one who doesn't value, but see things
      as they actually are, isn't going to sanctify! How is infinity any different
      than an apple? And what are they anyway?

      A great revelation came to me one day some years ago when I chose not to go
      into a business venture with a very good friend. He was on his way to 'big
      things', as any normal guy our age should have been, and I was letting all that
      go so I could walk the beach and write little poems.

      So we're sitting in his car and I tell him I'm not going to go into the
      business. He looked defeated. Maybe it was one last ditch effort. Exasperated,
      he said, "Jerry, do you respect yourself?"

      At that moment it was quite evident that there was no Jerry. "Who?", I answered
      silently to myself. I told him I couldn't answer that question and that was
      basically the end of a very good friendship.

      He was asking whether I valued myself. No, I didn't. I didn't value anything.
      It wasn't really a problem, social or  personal, to be solved.

      As the moment arises right now it has to be seen without memory or values. It
      is so instantaneous that it doesn't have time to be valued or sanctified. Even
      as it installs in memory, that too is a moment arising now and can be seen
      'actually happening'. And every connection of that memory with all other
      memories can be seen in the moment too.

      None of it is who one is. The play of consciousness, of the Absolute is to hide
      that one thing not known -- who one is -- and to watch it get found. It's
      existence playing with itself.

      Everything is happening as the arising moment, as reality 'pops into existence'
      once and forever. That's what actually happened. When that meets I Am, or who
      one is, it is seen as who one is, and then the extremely transcendental,
      nonduality, all the highest spiritual knowings, are gone.

      First valuing goes, then it is realized that if nothing can be valued, nothing
      can be sanctified. Then the extremely transcendental -- that which is known but
      neither valued nor not valued, neither sanctified nor not sanctified -- is,
      what I call, 'essenced'. This is the becoming of the Absolute.

      Jerry

      Jan gives us something to ponder:

      Dear Bobby,

      Suppose a gooseberry of 50 grams is launched from an alien space station.
      Final speed 100,000 km/sec and direction, the moon.
      The impact will unleash an energy of 2.5*10^14 Joules...
      It would be quite a spectacle, well visible from earth.
      That the berry is mushy at room temperature is
      of no importance, nor are its other properties ;-)

      Love,
      Jan

      And from hellman:

      There are so many ways, and for those who burn not one is sufficently
      fast. This why the grace of a teacher can really help burn out the
      fire that just goes on itching until the search is over

      hellman

      A bit from Jody R. (responding to somebody who, i couldn't tell because of a Yahoo! ad)

      > It has happened, but in nearly every
         case we see the presence of a  teacher.

      There are as many cases of people coming
      to self realization without the presence of a teacher as
      there are with.

      James self-evidently vibrates with this:

      Hi Jan,

      The observer is the observed is the resolution of the paradox.
      This means that there is no identification as 'the observer' - the
      fact that there is no entity is what is self-evident.

      In the same way there is nothing implied - things are as they are.

      The more things change the more they remain the same.
      This is also self-evident - there is no entity that it has to
      make sense to - it is simply the nature of things.

      So there is the Stillness of Now and yet there is Movement.

      The illusion of dualism is a consequence of commentary. Without
      this illusion - how could there be speaking of something labeled as a
      'game' or 'consciousness'. It is the speaking about it that is the
      source of the illusion.

      Asking the question, 'Who am I?' is dualistic. This self-evident
      fact is the resloution of the paradox and the question implodes.

      Stillness and Movement are the Same Thing!

      Love,
      James

      And Finally:

      An excellent article on the need for spiritual practice, by Greg Goode PhD. (no less) can be
      found on Harsha's new magazine issue at -

      http://www.harshasatsangh.com/MagazineV2/GregPractice.htm

      Thanks for putting your education to good use, Sir!

      As Found on Other Lists

      TheEndOfTheRopeRanch

      Dan and Ed dialogue.

      Hi Ed,

      Ed:> Of course, your original post implicitly and explicitly addressed
      > this question to others,  to ask themselves "what and where am I
      > avoiding reality?".  But I appreciate the opportunity to empathize
      > with your own apparent avoidance of reality.

      (Dan)
      The avoidance enters when there is investment
        in dividing reality, keeping "me" apart from "you."
      You are the only one who can resolve the attempt
        to keep that split going, no one else.
      Which is to say, I am the only one who can resolve
        the attempt to keep that split going.

      Your supposed empathy for me about my avoidance
        out there, apart from you, keeps the split going,
        apparently.  As does mine for you ... :-)

      > I too may appear to be avoiding the reality of wholeness, reading
      > your posts as if something was being said of value to a
      > supposed "me." My apparent avoidance would be the  expectation of
      > some change or improvement possible, in extending the meaningful
      > existence of a supposed "me."

      True.

      Resolution of apparent separation
        is the simultaneity of all phenomena.
      Events a million years ago, and a million years to come,
        not separated.
      Yesterday and tomorrow understood as conventionally
        separated, not separated in reality.

      You and I are this same simultaneity.

      > Moreover this supposed "me", is apparently avoiding the reality of
      > wholeness in engaging the perceptual memory and "mind" in this
      > sequential process of reading and writing, apparently the very
      > antipathy of wholeness.

      If you see through it, then the film that divides
        me from you, inside from outside, is dissolved.

      The words are understood as having conventional meanings,
        without any real division in reality taking place.

      The "unconditioned reality" is, as always, itself.
        Who you are = who I am.

      > Apparently all such communication between supposed entities would
      > appear to avoid the reality of wholeness.

      If there is investment of energy in having
        the separation as reality, yes.
      If no investment, then the conventional ways
        of using words, thoughts, perceptions make
        no problems.

      > I may further appear to be avoiding the reality of wholeness by
      > seeing that such avoidance is simply an appearance, and by knowing
      > that nothing can be done or not done to avoid the reality of
      > wholeness within any supposed power of a "me," since wholeness IS
      and
      > is simply unavoidable.

      Yes, nothing is added to it by calling it "wholeness."
      And nothing is added by communicating about it.
      Neither has anything been taken away.
      And communicating is fine with me.

      > So let's keep talking. :-)

      Sure.  No problem, mate :-)

      > Empathically, Ed

      Emphatically,
      Dan

      On Yearning, Mazie speaks out:

      Dear friends,

      I recently joined and posted on a forum of a fellow who I knew from
      another yahoogroup, a man who I clashed often with, and very painfully so, for
      I disliked any unfinished grievances that do not get mended. I did. I
      thought I would never be able to get on with this fellow, and  especially I
      thought I would never join his forum. I marched right in there and stepped up
      and started  right in babbling about love and getting it on with God, and
      all that other crazy talk I do. I could not help myself. It was some other
      Love-baked, fried person's fault that I did that. I have found that
      lately, since I became a fully freaked-out Love machine, no turn-off buttons,
      no shut-down turny-thingy, I am just going full melt-down all over the
      place. I cannot stop myself from spilling over everyone and everything that
      gets anywhere near my orbit. It is the really coolest, wildest, most
      flipped out in a make-no-sense kind of thing, it is. We are always talking about
      wanting to get that kind of love, that Love where we are left unable to keep
      sleeping around in every heart that even slightly opens up that honey
      pot to us. Love just wants to get it on with every single heart it sees. Why
      all the sensuous, the erotic talk in discussing this Love, this sacred and
      Holy Love we so want, this enlightenment thing? Because Love has been
      stripped of its human-ness, its natural heat and fire, and its very lifeblood. We
      think (or at least I did) if we cut away any closeness, any human feeling we
      will be able to touch God in that pure and slick alter we have made of
      untouchability. Not so! If we cannot kiss God right in the heart of
      our own beloved each day, with unconditional and undying love, we cannot hope
      to ever find Him in some sterile, self-imposed tower of "Keep-awayness" I
      should know. I have been the glacier-queen for endless years spouting
      all the time about celibacy and yoga and ego and bullshit bullshit. It was
      what my teachings led me to believe. Oh there was room for relationships,
      but something seemed missing about Divine Passionate Love. I was  born a
      Lover, a real Heart-Ache. I have a heart that re-blazed itself into a Human
      Firepit. God said, "Well, well, what do we have here, a little
      smart-ass talker of the Love talk, thinking she, SHE has a grip on what I AM,
      what MY LOVE really IS! Well, let her bite on this, taste THIS kind of Love,
      little poet!" And then He proceeded to just yank my ass all over Love-
      Street. I am a train wreck and I don't know anything but the love of
      crashing into a firey wall of annhilation. I just want what Shams and
      Rumi have  been trying to show me all along. A human, real, living
      love, not some dead rhetoric that knows all the answers and none of
      the sweet pleasure positions of God. Well, well, well, what do we have
      here now? A freaked-out, crazier than ever lunatic in Love's Madhouse.
      Come see me some time. We get out every time the full moon rises.

      Love,
      Mazie

      The poetry corner of a Zen order

      Muhammad and the Huge Eater