Sunday, March 10, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 11 1:37 PM
      The Nondual Highlights

      Outstanding posts sent to the Nonduality Salon email list

      and other online communities

      Sunday, March 10, 2002

      The 999th Edition
      Search all Editions of the Nondual Highlights:
      http://nonduality.com/searchhl.htm

      Editors: Jerry Katz, Gloria Lee, Christiana Duranczyk, Michael Read, John Metzger

      Today's Highlights Edited by
      Gloria Lee

      All posts today are from Nonduality Salon

      Dan Berkow: Once off the roller coaster, there's not another one to worry about getting off.

      Greg Goode: That roller coaster is really the only one in town.

      Gloria Lee wrote to Michael Read:

      You are hip to it all, aren't you?

      Do you still like to be called Monkey Boy?

      heh, heh...

      Eric Blackstead

      Dear Glo & Friends,

      A college chum and fellow bandmate in the halcyon days of the 60's
      named Sherman Kelly (he wrote the tune, 'Dancing in the Moonlight',
      remember that one?) used to dramatize our freakier, more disjointed
      moments by saying "My monkey's in the Garden and he's calling to me.
      Can you hear him?" And off we'd go.

      Of course, I could never hear that monkey, but I couldn't let Sherm
      go off by himself.

      yours in the bonds,
      eric

                                                          "historic new use of internet"

      Gloria Lee

      WASHINGTON, March 8 -  Scientists using the power of more than a million home
      computers, all linked together and cranking along as one, say they have come up
      with thousands of possible compounds that could be developed as a cure for
      anthrax.

      'HISTORIC' USE OF INTERNET
             "This is an historic first use of the Internet as a computing platform to
      solve a critical, real-world problem with a scope and a speed that simply could
      not be achieved using traditional computing methods,"

      SCREEN-SAVERS FOR SCIENCE
             The National Foundation for Cancer Research, a U.S. group that funds
      cancer research, has had a project going since April in collaboration with
      Oxford, United Devices and Intel Corp. to screen potential treatments for
      leukemia.
             Like the SETI@home project, which uses home computer downtime to process
      radio emissions in a search for extraterrestrial life, it uses computer time
      donated by personal computer users.
             When a person downloads the screen-saver from the Intel Web site, the
      first thing it does is connect with the Austin server and ask what this
      particular personal computer can do. It gets its assignment and crunches numbers
      when the computer is not in use.

      Dear List Friends,

      If you might be interested in helping to find cures for diseases like cancer and
      aids, while still "doing nothing" and at no cost to you, please read more about
      this internet linked computer project.

      A briefest explanation would be:
      This program basically  attempts matches of known molecular disease structures
      with structures of possible drug molecules.

       To read the whole story and find how to sign up for other projects like these
      with aids, alzeheimer's research, etc, click below. This sceensaver runs in the
      background, has been running on my computer since January, and has never caused
      the slightest interference with my use or any other programs, it is totally
      safe. Still, if you have any questions, feel free to ask me offlist.
      -Gloria
      http://www.msnbc.com/news/691885.asp?pne=msn

      SPHURNA
      If all this is true and false and it is true and false to say it is
      true and false, where's the urge/need to be rude?

      Sarlo

      Because this dry mental spinning of wheels -- in nondualphilosophyland --
      does not work for everyone. Nor does rudeness work for everyone but it has
      its merits. Zen anecdotes abound where the master does something to shock
      the disciple, stimulating an awakening. Your mileage may vary.

                                                        Insight or Madness
      GLORIA LEE

      Some new writing was submitted, unbeknowst to the writer, on the very first
      day the HarshaSatsangh Magazine was made available. Due to its
      exquisite beauty and truth, it has just been added today.

      excerpt from introduction:
      ' Love and knowledge are the same thing but the function of love is to join together and that of knowledge to tell, to illuminate. In love, knowledge is helpful. For strengthening knowledge, love is essential. In the absence of love, knowledge would not be powerful enough to influence people. [...]'

      Although many writers will be used in this article, the voices of the advaitic Vedantin and the Sufi will be mostly represented for they, sometimes erroneously, are often seen as emphasising, respectively, the two ways of intellect and heart. However, from the above quotation by a modern advaitin, it is clear that it is an error to separate the 'mind' and the 'heart' into two separate arenas of our lives. The legacy of empirical science is to lock us into the 'head bound' world of theory. As useful as this may be to gain some understanding of the physical and mental worlds, it is of no help in understanding the true emotional and spiritual realms. 'Mind' spreads far beyond the limits of the 'head' and in harmonious union with the 'heart' it will introduce us to a consciousness beyond measurement.

      Please see it at the bottom of the list of articles, Religion of Love,
      by Ken Knight. Ken had sent a poem and told us before:
      Back in England I play the part of a mature...very mature at 61...student at university who is researching
      the notion of ineffability in the mystic traditions and teachings of Bhartrihari, Shankara and Abhinavagupta.

                                                         Enlightenment w/o Intelligence = Nothink

      HEIDI

      Three enlightenment-seeking monks from a monastery were hiking up the
      Yellow Mountain in China, when they discovered an extraordinarily
      beautiful cottage. They were invited inside by the keeper of the
      door. Once inside, they were warmly greeted by a True Master, who
      asked them to join him for dinner. They accepted, sitting down to a
      hearty, wonderful dinner with plum wine - after which they and the
      True Master all fell into a deep, restful slumber.

      While they were sleeping, mischievous servants painted the word
      "idiot" on the travelers' foreheads - in such a way that it would
      be impossible for any monk to know, without looking in a mirror, that
      anything was written on his own forehead. When they woke up and saw
      what was written on the foreheads of their companions, they
      simultaneously broke into a fit of uncontrollable laughter. The True
      Master did not laugh at all. Very quickly, the senior monk, who was
      also the closest to enlightenment, realized that his own forehead was
      also embellished with the "idiot" word - and he stopped laughing
      instantly.

      Questions:
      1. How could the senior monk know that the word was undoubtedly on
      his own forehead?
      2. What was the process of thinking that led him to realize the truth
      about himself?
      3. Why didn't the True Master laugh at all?
      4. If the servants had also painted the word "Idiot" on the True
      Master's forehead, how would this have changed the problem?

      -----------So you think you're an idiot, eh, Heidi?----

                                                                      The Interior Life

      JAN SULTAN

      The interior life is a place of the wild-uncivilized and unpredictable,
      giving us fevers, symptoms, and moments of impossible beauty. Yet within
      the appearances of chaos are both a richness and a deep level of
      orderliness. Like a national park, the interior world doesn't do
      anything-it is the treasure-house of life. It can't be strip-mined for our
      conscious purposes. The only request it makes of us is that we love it,
      and, in return, it responds to our attention. To learn to attend well is to
      discover our place in the natural order: it brings an element of
      consistency and harmony to our lives and gives us a story about who we are.
      To learn to attend is a beginning. To learn to attend more and more deeply
      is the path itself.

      By John Tarrant Roshi, The Light Inside the Dark