904Friday, November 30

    Dec 1, 2001
      GLORIA LEE contributed everything in the highlights today!

      --------------------------------

      Art Of Dying from 'All Things Must Pass' album
      George Harrison

      There'll come a time when all of us must leave here
      Then nothing sister Mary can do
      Will keep me here with you
      As nothing in this life that I've been trying
      Could equal or surpass the art of dying
      Do you believe me?

      There'll come a time when all your hopes are fading
      When things that seemed so very plain
      Become an awful pain
      Searching for the truth among the lying
      And answered when you've learned the art of dying

      But you're still with me
      But if you want it
      Then you must find it
      But when you have it
      There'll be no need for it

      There'll come a time when most of us return here
      Brought back by our desire to be
      A perfect entity
      Living through a million years of crying
      Until you've realized the Art of Dying
      Do you believe me?

      ~~~~~~

      Sunrise doesn't last all morning
      A cloudburst doesn't last all day
      Seems my love is up and has left you with no warning
      It's not always going to be this gray

      All things must pass
      All things must pass away

      Sunset doesn't last all evening
      A mind can blow those clouds away
      After all this, my love is up and must be leaving
      It's not always going to be this gray

      All things must pass
      All things must pass away
      All things must pass
      None of life's strings can last
      So, I must be on my way
      And face another day

      Now the darkness only stays the night-time
      In the morning it will fade away
      Daylight is good at arriving at the right time
      It's not always going to be this gray

      All things must pass
      All things must pass away
      All things must pass
      All things must pass away

      ~ George Harrison

      Remember the Reasons Why You Came Here

      Satsang with Robert Adams

      December 23, 1990

      I welcome you with all my heart and with all my being. It's
      good to see you all here, everyone of you. In 1947 I went to
      Ramana Maharshi. After spending around three days talking
      with Ramana, I settled down with the devotees, in the hall,
      and I used to sit at the right side of the hall against the
      wall, watching all the people come in. They had devotees,
      disciples, and seekers. The devotees were always the same.
      They never said much. They were immersed in themselves. The
      disciples and the seekers quarreled with each other.

      I recall a particular Indian who was very quarrelsome with
      the disciples, and he used to find fault with everybody. He
      would go to Ramana and say, "So and so is doing this, so and
      so is doing that.” And Ramana would tell him, "Remember the
      reasons why you came here and keep silent.” The reason of
      course was to find the Self, and not to interfere with
      anybody else. But there were all kinds of incidents going on.
      Sikhs came, Hindus, Westerners, Buddhists, Zen Buddhists.
      People were practicing hatha yoga. All these things were
      happening in front of Ramana. But it didn't faze Ramana one
      bit.

      I recall a Westerner, I'm trying to think of his name, Henry
      Wells, from Scotland. He apparently had read a lot of books
      about Ramana, and this was his first visit. He came into the
      hall, and I was watching this. He ran over to Ramana and
      prostrated himself on his stomach, and started going crazy.
      His feet were shaking, and he was chanting. The devotees
      wanted to pick him up, and Ramana said, “Let him stay.” When
      he came out of it he told Ramana, "At last I have found you.
      You are my father, my mother, my son, my daughter, my
      friend.” And Ramana just smiled at him. And I said to myself,
      and I was only 18 years old, I said to myself, “Someone this
      enthusiastic... let's see what happens, if it lasts.”

      The days went by and he kept prostrating himself every day
      for about a month. Then he finally stopped, and he sat down
      like everybody else. And after about 2 months or so, looking
      around the room at everybody, and he started complaining,
      that this wasn't right, that wasn't right. After about 4
      months of being there he donated $40,000 to the ashram, and
      I'm just watching all these things going on. After about 6
      months of being there, he started to find fault with the
      management. At that time Ramana's brother was managing the
      ashram. He started to whisper to the other disciples, of
      course the devotees would have nothing to do with this. It
      was the disciples and the seekers. He started spreading
      rumors. He hardly ever talked to me. I guess I was too young.
      He was about 45 years old.

      When about the 7th month he came over to me one day and he
      asked me, outside the ashram, "Do you think Ramana is really
      enlightened?” So I just smiled at him. I didn't answer and
      walked away. He started getting devotees to fight against
      each other and rebel against the rules of the ashram.

      On about the 8th month he saw me again and he tells me, "Do
      you think it is right for Ramana to stand naked like this?
      Let's buy him some clothes and dress him up, so when some
      Westerners come they won't be frightened.” So I told him what
      Ramana said: "Remember the reason for why you came.” This
      went on.

      A couple of days later I didn't see him in the hall. Second
      day passed and I didn't see him. Third day passed and I
      didn't see him. And the fourth day I enquired, "What happened
      to him?” And the house guest he was living with said, "Oh,
      Henry packed his suitcase and went back to Scotland,” and
      nobody ever heard from him again.

      The point of the story is this. If you realize the reason why
      you came you'll be interested in one thing, awakening. And
      that will dominate your life. Nothing else will. You will not
      be concerned with what somebody else is doing, and you will
      be at peace with yourself and everybody else. Everything is
      preordained anyway. Everything is karmic. So what's going to
      happen will happen, whether you like it or not. So why get
      insulted. Why get your feelings hurt. Be at peace.

      It's interesting, this morning I was looking through a
      magazine and I found an article by a devotee who lived at the
      ashram for quite a while talking about the same subject. Mary
      would you like to read it?

      Now listen carefully to this. It's called Mind the business
      for which you have come.

      “All events in life are shaped according to the Divine plan.
      What is bound to happen will happen. What is not to happen
      cannot be brought about by any human effort. On this point
      Ramana was quite categoric. When Deva Raja Mudalar questioned
      him as to whether only important things in one's life, such
      as major occupation or profession, alone are predetermined,
      or even trifling acts, Ramana replied, ‘Everything is
      predetermined.’

      “One of the purposes of birth is to go through certain
      experiences which have been marked out in the karmic
      unfoldment of this life. The whole program is chalked out.
      This would apparently be a damper to all effort, for one
      would be puzzled as to what the responsibility of man is. Is
      he an automation of karmic forces? Where do his free will and
      effort come in?

      “Ramana points out that there is another deeper purpose to
      life. That is to search and find out the truth for oneself.
      He would say that the only useful purpose of life is to turn
      within and realize there's nothing else to do. Ramana would
      therefore constantly din into everyone the fact that the
      ultimate truth is Sat-Chit, immediately available here and
      now.

      “When Natananananda asked Ramana, ‘Is it possible for
      everyone to know directly without doubt what exactly is one's
      true nature?,’ prompt came the reply, ‘Undoubtedly it is
      possible. The ultimate truth is so simple,’ Ramana would say.
      ‘It is nothing more than abiding in one's own state.’ This is
      the essential message of all religions and creeds. Leaving
      aside the automatic course of our lives regulated by the
      Creator, according to His Law, one's duty is to channel
      effort to be self-aware. Steadfastness of purpose is in
      treading the inner path through vigilant self-enquiry. On
      such enquiry as to the Source of the individual, the enquirer
      merges in the conscious Source.

      “The inner odyssey is seldom smooth sailing. Full many a
      delusion would wean one away. For instance, people who go to
      Shri Ramana ashram to breathe its rarified atmosphere, while
      there, instead of surrendering to His flowing Grace, they
      would get involved in the happening of the ashram management.
      Ramana used to jovially remark of some visitors on their
      first visit to Shri Ramana ashram, they seemed to be alright.
      On the second visit they discovered that the ashram is not
      properly run. On the third visit they start giving advice. On
      the fourth they know best how to run the place. And on the
      fifth they discover that the management is not responsive. On
      the sixth they suggest that the present staff should walk out
      leaving the ashram to them They would thus get bogged down in
      things which are irrelevant for the search. When such people
      complained, Ramana would say: ‘Mind the business for which
      you have come.’

      “This would apply, of course, not only to their visit to Shri
      Ramana ashram, but also to the purpose of human life itself.
      One has to constantly keep before the minds eye the
      liberating purpose, the only worth while one of freeing
      oneself from the karmic chain by discovering the hidden
      truth. Ramana would even seemingly chide if one failed to
      pursue one's own sadhana, but spent time thinking and talking
      of others

      “A devotee once told Ramana: ‘I have been here for many
      years. People got into Samadhi. I close my eyes for a minute
      and my mind travels around the world.’ Ramana replied: ‘Why
      do you think about others? Let them meditate, sleep or snore.
      Look to yourself. Whenever your mind goes astray bring it
      back to the quest.’

      “Once Bhagwan told a devotee to wake up, look at the mirror,
      it shows the growth to be got rid of. Instead of waiting
      time, start shaving. Similarly, heaven knows when the
      allotted time would end. Hence not to seek the truth by
      vigilant self-enquiry is truly suicidal. Many would like to
      blame their circumstances for their indolence and laziness
      and failure to pursue self-enquiry. Ramana would ask, ‘Why
      depend on that which is not in your hands. Go ahead with the
      business which is in your hands, under your control, leaving
      aside what you cannot do anything about.’

      “Proper utilization of God given freedom of turning the mind
      is what is needed all the time. As for adverse circumstances
      in life of which everyone has a belly full, while
      sympathizing, Ramana would at the same time say, ‘You are
      always free not to be affected by the pleasure and pain
      consequent on action.’ The teeth have to be taken out of an
      event by an attitudinal change which neutralizes it.

      “Sometimes Ramana would advise leaving things to the sure
      hand of the Sat Guru, and to stick single mindedly to the
      effort which would make one self-aware. Ramana would say,
      ‘Why don't you do what the first class railway passenger
      does? He tells the guard his destination, locks the door and
      goes to sleep. The rest is done by the guard. If you can
      trust your Guru as much as you trust the railway guard, it
      will be good enough to make you reach the destination.’ Again
      when someone pestered him for the darshan of Shri Krishna, he
      said, ‘Why don't you leave the shaktakara of Krishna to
      Krishna.’ We also have the pointed advice given by him to
      Ganapada Muni. ‘Remain all the time steadfast in the heart.
      God will determine the future for you to accomplish the work.
      What is to be done will be done at the proper time. Don't
      worry. Abide in the heart.’

      Life becomes meaningful if we joyously tread the inward path,
      remembering that ours is to do the Vichara and it is for the
      inner source to do the rest. Then bliss is not the end
      product to be found on reaching the goal, but is felt all
      along the homeward, heartward journey.”

      There's another article prior, previous to that , before
      that. The Purpose of Life, by Lucille Osborne. Let Jay read
      this.

      “Those whose spiritual effort is in the right direction get
      progressively closer to their perfect Self, become more
      peaceful, happier and are increasingly liked and helped by
      those with whom they come into contact. Some of the negative
      category will attend rigorously only to externals like
      clothing and pure food which will not help them much if it
      combines with egocentric selfish behavior and possessiveness.
      They will do anything to be able to possess a few more things
      of scarcely any importance. They do not realize the harm they
      do to themselves getting deeper into samsara with all its
      problems and suffering, away from realizing the glorious
      peaceful joy in their heart.

      “This pertains also to those in positions of power who treat
      the people with whom they deal without goodwill, sincerity,
      or even truthfulness. They will usually be disliked, have a
      few friends, if any. Those who associate with them will
      either have some affinity, or feel sorry for them, combined
      usually with reluctance to forgo some convenience or other.
      Not a particularly spiritual motive. One might say that a
      misguided seeker forfeits the great opportunity of gaining
      the greatest fortune possible for a human being. The purpose
      of life is to return to the Source. The source is mysterious,
      glorious, peaceful joy, which is God in everybody's heart.
      This is realization. We do not gain it. It is always there in
      the heart. Only the obstructions, vasanas, have to be removed
      to reveal it.”

      Thank you Jay. Any question about that before we go on?
      Everybody understand it perfectly? O.K. Let’s play a song.

      Hello again. It's good to be with you. I talk to many people
      during the week, both on the telephone and in person. I speak
      to Zen Buddhists, Hindus1 Americans, all kinds of people, and
      80% tell me they're enlightened. Most of them tell me they've
      experienced the Void. Some say they've seen lights. Some say
      they hear certain sounds. And they say, "What do you think?”
      So I remark, "Somebody has to be present to experience these
      things. As long as somebody is present, and somebody is
      present or you'll not be able to tell me about it, then
      there's no enlightenment. Find out who is present, and hold
      on to that you, because you are present to experience the
      Void. You are present to experience the light or the sound.
      Who is that you? Find out. Hold on to that you. Hold on to I.
      I was present to experience the Void. As long as I am present
      I cannot possibly be enlightened, because I still exist.”

      It is like a movie theater. Let's take rather a stage
      theater, stage play, where the lights shine on the players
      and on the audience. When the play is over the audience and
      the actors both leave, but the light still shines, even
      though it shines on nothing. So the empty theater is the
      Void. The light is still shining on the Void as well as on
      the people.

      A better example is: we see a room full of furniture, the
      eyes look and they see. Then somebody turns off the light.
      The eyes are still there but they don't see anything. That's
      how the Void is compared to the seer. There has to be a seer
      to see the Void. Who is that seer? And you find out by
      self-enquiring, "Who am I? Where did the I come from? What is
      the Source of I that sees all these things?” Remember, all
      this phenomena is a projection of your mind. The mind appears
      to be very powerful. It projects voids, light, sounds,
      images, as well as the entire universe, and as well as your
      body and mind. It projects itself out of the mind. The idea
      is to stop the projection, and you stop the projection
      through self-enquiry. This is the fastest way.

      So whenever you have some experience, go beyond the
      experience. Because there has to be somebody to have the
      experience. Just like the eyes see when it's light, and the
      eye is still there when it's dark, so the I is present when
      you sleep, the I is present when you dream, the I is present
      when you are awake. Find out who the I is. Dive deep within.
      Work on yourself. Just like the article we read before,
      forget about the world, forget about others, forget about
      your body, and enquire of the Self. Find out who the Self is.
      Who are you? Are there two I's or one I?

      There cannot possibly be two I's because that's duality.
      There has to be one I only. Find the source of the I. Follow
      it diligently until you merge with the source. Then you will
      find that you're happier than you've ever been in your life.
      When you touch the source of I you have bliss, you have
      Absolute Reality, you have God. This is the most important
      question in life. Nothing else is so important. Can you think
      of anything else that is as important? Then why do you worry
      so much about others? Why do you get mixed up with all kinds
      of problems? Do your duty. Enquire. Find the source of I. It
      doesn't make any difference how long it takes. Think of how
      many incarnations you had to go through in order to be in
      this class today. Make yourself happy. Forget about your
      troubles. They don't exist. Only God exists as yourself. But
      you must find it out for yourself. Do it.

      --
      http://nonduality.com
      http://nonduality.net