5138#5138 - Thank You Aitzaz Hasan

    Jan 14, 2014
      #5138 – Thank You Aitzaz Hasan
      Nonduality Highlights - Editor: Gloria Lee
      For teaching me what it means to be a human being. For
      jarring me out of my overpriced, overprivileged stupor and
      reminding me of what's important. For being the bravest
      fuckin person I will never meet.
      When you're mentioned in the news or social media it's to
      push some narrative or the other: PTI supporters link your
      death to the drone strikes, anti-PTI supporters to PTI's
      lack of action against the Taliban, you are labeled as being
      so much more heroic than that stupid Malala, the
      government is blamed for not honoring you fast enough, and
      on and on, until all possible permutations from within the
      quagmire of Pakistani politics are exhausted. The media
      vultures squaw at each other around these issues on their
      high pitched, rabid talk shows, and ask 'what more could we
      have done', when really all they mean is 'how do we twist
      this story to further the narrative we're getting paid for'.
      And of course, suicide bombers the world over are way
      pissed at you.
      But that's typical. Everyone just wants to push forward
      their own agendas, for which you are but a dead pawn, a
      talking point, a showpiece. They miss the real magic of what
      you were all about, because in their insular pursuit of 'The
      Story', they've forgotten what humanity means. They
      obfuscate the real lessons in an attempt to put the next guy
      Because the truth, at it's bare-bones, is that you were
      simply a kid, man. A 9th grader. Yet a total rockstar. I've
      always known people like you were out there, kings and
      queens and giants amongst men, toiling away in little towns,
      accepting your lot in life, yet putting the rest of us to total
      shame just by virtue of your rockstarness. Of course all we
      can do is chatter about the 'Big Picture'. We find it too
      hard to come to terms with the incredible nature of your
      basic humanity.
      You saved your friends by tackling a suicide bomber and
      forcing him to detonate.
      That blows my mind. I can see it now, big kid that you were,
      one bearhug from you would have stopped that bastard in
      his tracks. He had no other option but premature
      detonation. And that was that for the both of you. Disaster
      averted, mission failed, hero lost.
      I've put myself in your shoes many times. And truth be
      told, I would not have done what you did. I would have made
      noise, made some phone calls to friends inside to get out,
      but kept my distance. I would have assisted in the relief
      effort later on, dragging bodies out of the rubble. I would
      have attended the funerals of my class-fellows, my
      teachers, my friends. I would have lingered on, scarred for
      the rest of my days by the haunting sense that I could have
      done more.
      But you, you saved your friends by tackling a suicide
      bomber and forcing him to detonate.
      I have no words for that. Thinking about it fills me with
      pride and leaves me teary eyed at the same time. You
      represent the best of the best of what this country can
      produce, kid from 9th grade from a school in Hangu. And
      you are no more.
      So all I can say is thank you, Aitzaz Hasan. Thank you for
      giving me hope and reminding me that bowing down or
      fighting is the only thing we have to decide when faced with
      conflict. Thank you for teaching me what's important in this
      little fart of a life: courage, goodness, selflessness, loyalty,
      friendship. And what's unimportant: ego, selfishness,
      material gains, petty disputes, fear. Thank you for
      reminding me of everything I love about the Pashtuns, those
      human cocktails of brash, valiant positive energy. Thank
      you for giving me something to aspire to.
      If I am ever in that situation I'm going to do what you did,
      Aitzaz. Simply to honor the memory of the bravest fuckin'
      human I will never meet.
      Rest in peace my brother. You earned it.