5122#5122 - Thursday, December 26, 2013 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Dec 26, 2013
      #5122 - Thursday, December 26, 2013 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      WRITING’S SECRET WAY: The Art of Asking for
      Invisible Help.

      Too much writing is an attempt to write down what the
      strategic and conscious mind thinks it knows already.
      Real alchemy in poetry or prose occurs at the frontier
      between what we think we are and what we are about
      to become; what we believe of the world and what it is
      about to overwhelm us, often against our will. Good
      writing is a conversation between seemingly immovable
      and movable worlds, and is made real by the writer
      asking beautiful and difficult questions that shape a
      living, breathing identity that is ripe for surprise and
      revelation. The writer’s practice is to cultivate a
      friendship with the unknown, to overhear their own
      voice speaking out of that unknown into the world and
      to ask for help along the way from those elemental
      powers encountered on the pilgrim road to discovery.

      Upcoming Workshop With David Whyte: San Miguel
      Writer’s Conference: San Miguel de Allende, Mexico.
      February: 17 2014.

      Stare deep into the world before you as if it were the
      void: innumerable holy ghosts, buddhies, and savior
      gods there hide, smiling. All the atoms emitting light
      inside wavehood, there is no personal separation of any
      of it. A hummingbird can come into a house and a hawk
      will not: so rest and be assured. While looking for the
      light, you may suddenly be devoured by the darkness
      and find the true light.
      ~ Jack Kerouac

      Yaşar Koç Photography

      "I have a lot of beliefs and I live by none of 'em.
      That’s just the way I am. They’re just my beliefs. I
      just like believing them. I like that part."

      #LouisCK, comedian

      LOSING YOUR RELIGION

      Okay. So you feel peaceful, blissed out, in the flow.
      You're manifesting perfectly and life is going to plan.
      You're okay with everything that happens. You can't
      imagine ever suffering again.

      Cut to the next scene in the movie of your life. There's
      been some kind of loss, shock, bolt of lightning from
      the blue. You're lying in bed, sick with pain, or grief,
      or despair. This was unexpected, unplanned. You've
      tried everything. Nothing's working.

      Where did your awakening go? Weren't you supposed
      to be the one who was okay with everything, who met
      every experience with equanimity and an “effortless
      yes"? Where did all your spiritual progress go?

      The spiritual 'me' feels humiliated and beaten up.
      Were you a fake, a fraud, a liar? Were you always
      kidding yourself? How do you get back to where you
      were?

      Don't go back. Stay with it. You're awakening from
      another dream. The dream that present experience
      could or should conform to any image or expectation.
      You're discovering your own inner authority.

      This scene is not a mistake. The movie of your life is
      not broken. You're rediscovering how vast you are,
      how much you can hold.

      You don't have to feel 'okay' all the time. You don't
      have to be free from all resistance all the time. You
      are bigger than that, unlimited in fact. There is no 'all
      the time' for you. You are the space for the okay and
      the not-okay, the acceptance and the resistance. You
      don't need any fixed and unchangeable image of
      yourself. You don't need to be the enlightened guru or
      the spiritual warrior. You don't need to be the
      peaceful one, the awakened one, the strong one, the
      highly evolved one, the one immune to suffering. All
      are false limitations on your limitless nature. Simply
      be what you are, not 'this' one or 'that' one, but The
      One, the space for all of it.

      Let life kick you off your pedestal time and time
      again, until you lose all interest in being on pedestals.

      --

      This is an extract from Jeff's new book of prose and
      poetry, FALLING IN LOVE WITH WHERE YOU

      Nature. Beauty. Gratitude.

      Beautiful time-lapse photography by Louie
      Schwartzberg accompanied by powerful words from
      Benedictine monk Brother David Steindl-Rast.

      Taken from Ted.com (5 min.)
      via Tao & Zen on Facebook