5070#5086 - Tuesday/Wednesday, October 29-30, 2013 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Oct 30, 2013
      #5086 - Tuesday/Wednesday, October 29-30, 2013 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      Wednesday, October 30, on Nonduality Network Talk Radio our in-studio guest will again be Mi'qmaq elder Billy Lewis. This time Mandee, Billy, and I will be talking about spiritual diversity. I'm offering that the term "interspirituality" is appropriate for this topic, but I'm only assuming that Billy will agree with that.

      More specifically we'll be talking about the Pachamama Alliance.

      This issue of the Highlights consists of notes I've taken in preparation for the radio show.

      Tune in at 12:30PM EST at http://ckdu.ca

      You may also call-in. Contact info is at http://nonduality.net

      Pachamama Alliance

      The following notes are from the above two sources:

      MISSION

      Our mission is to empower indigenous people of the Amazon rainforest to preserve their lands and culture and, using insights gained from that work, to educate and inspire individuals everywhere to bring forth a thriving, just and sustainable world.

      Company Overview

      The Pachamama Alliance is a not-for-profit organization that was born out of a relationship developed between a group of people from the modern world and the leaders of remote indigenous groups in the Amazon region of Ecuador for the preservation of life itself.

      WHAT'S HAPPENING

      Imagine your government came into your home and said oil companies were allowed to tear up your floors with dynamite and start exploring for oil – and they told everyone you said it was okay, even though you didn’t.

      This is what’s happening to thousands of indigenous families in Ecuador’s Amazon rainforest right now

      WHAT'S AT STAKE

      The indigenous warriors are taking a stand for the world.

      Rain forests:
      The Amazon rainforest produces one-fifth of the world’s oxygen and counteracts greenhouse gases to keep our global climate stable.
      Over two-thirds of the world’s fresh water is found in the Amazon rainforest basin, an irreplaceable part of the global water cycle.
      The 10 million acres under threat in Ecuador are among the most biodiverse in the world, a source of important medicines and foods.
      Indigenous peoples of the Amazon hold vital wisdom about co-existing with the Earth that the modern world has only begun to understand.

      INVEST IN A PROVEN PARTNERSHIP

      The Pachamama Alliance and our sister organization in Ecuador, Fundación Pachamama, have partnered with indigenous peoples in the Amazon basin for over 15 years. We’ll leverage your gift for maximum impact using a multi-point approach:

      MOBILIZATION
      Trainings and organizing for indigenous communities

      ADVOCACY
      Legal action on indigenous rights and Rights of Nature

      AWARENESS
      Public relations campaigns in Ecuador and worldwide

      SUSTAINABILITY
      Indigenous-owned economic alternatives to oil

      Rory McEntee and Adam Bucko

      Interspiritual Revolution: How the Occupy Generation Is Re-Envisioning Spirituality and [New]Monasticism

      Excerpts:

      The Coming Interspiritual Age" (Namaste Publishing 2013), Dr. Kurt Johnson, a former Anglican monk and evolutionary biologist, together with David Robert Ord, trace the history of the interspiritual movement. They make a powerful argument for seeing the history of the world's spiritual and religious traditions as one movement, all contributing to the maturation of our species.

      Br. Wayne Teasdale: "The religion of humankind can be said to be spirituality itself, because mystical spirituality is the origin of all the religions. If this is so, and I believe it is, we might say that interspirituality -- the sharing of ultimate experiences across traditions -- is the religion of the third millennium. Interspirituality is the foundation that can prepare the way for a planet-wide enlightened culture..."

      The truth is there is a revolution happening among us. People are waking up to the emptiness of their consumer-driven and materialistic worlds, and are beginning to re-evaluate what matters.

      While the unity of the human race must be championed tirelessly by Interspirituality, we must also leave ample room for the messy complexity, the blood and marrow, that diversity demands.

      We must also acknowledge different ways of being interspiritual

      If elders are willing to open their lives in a life-giving dialogical relationship with the young, they will find youth who are open to their wisdom and experience. Rather than focusing on passing on their religious traditions and theologies, elders should aim to pass on the lived experience of where their tradition has taken them.

      This more subtle understanding of interspirituality puts a premium on the creation of intimate circles of dialogue and community.

      We are ready to move into a unity that is full, that welcomes all textures.

      Do we, the readers of this page, have something to contribute to this discussion? Do we have the courage to cultivate our contemplative lives, to share our unfolding with others? Do we have the wisdom to receive the revelations of others, and be changed by them?

      Ed Bastian:

      Develop a sustainable contemplative practice, benefit from the wisdom of various traditions, and create a community of people from many spiritual perspectives to solve the challenges of our time

      InterSpiritual Meditation is a universal process drawn from the world’s spiritual traditions. It is designed to help each individual to develop a practice of contemplation and meditation for health, happiness, gratitude, transformation, love, compassion, tranquility, focus, wisdom, and service in the world. Its seven-step process enables people of diverse spiritual practices to create engaged contemplative communities based on empathy, understanding, shared contemplative intentions, and compassionate service for the common good.

      The 12 Steps of InterSpiritual Meditation

      (1) May I Be Happy & Healthy
      (2) May I Be Grateful
      (3) May I Be Transformed
      (4) May I Be Loving & Compassionate
      (5) May I Be Mindful through my Breathing
      (6) May I Become Wise through my Meditation
      (7) May I Be in Service to All Beings.

      The goals of [our offered] course are to help participants to:

      Cultivate and refine our own contemplative practice.
      Integrate contemplative process and insights from diverse traditions.
      Mentor individuals and groups in the process of InterSpiritual Meditation.
      Bring together a community of people of diverse contemplative practices.
      Experience a shared consciousness beating at the heart of many traditions.

      ------------------------------------

      By Alan S. Kesselheim
      The Daily Climate

      Here's something Native elders understand: Without respect for natural laws, no amount of technology will get us out of this mess. Why can't we hear that message?

       Not long ago I had a conversation with a man in my community who has worked for decades with Indian people in North America. His name is Bob Staffanson. He founded the American Indian Institute, which has been working for more than 40 years to keep the spiritual traditions of Indian people alive. How he goes about that is another story. But here's what he said that got me thinking:

      "What frustrates Indian spiritual leaders to no end is that they aren't taken seriously," he said. "They are put into this mystical category, lumped in with woo-woo, New Age malarkey that serves to discount them, and pushes them to the fringe where their message can be ignored."

      Nothing could be further from the truth, he continued. They are very clear about their understanding of current reality, and it is completely practical.

      "Their message is this. You cannot treat the Earth with disrespect and not expect consequences," Staffanson said. "You cannot poison the soil, pollute the air, dirty the water, kill other forms of life, and not have problems. Those consequences are already manifest. They are all around us."

      STORY

      An elder I spoke to shared an experience that captures the disconnect. He is from Greenland. He conducts ceremonies around the world. People know him as "Uncle," a man of unquestioned poise and power. His given name is Angaangaq. He told me about being in New York City, performing a ceremony.

      "It was very hot," he said. "It was the end of a long day. The Hudson River was nearby, and I suggested going for a swim. I started running toward the river to dive in. People got all upset and called for me to stop. 'You can't swim there,' they said. 'It's polluted.'

      "I turned to them, perplexed. I just read a story in the morning paper today," he said he told them. "It boasted that New York City has the highest percentage of college graduates of any major city on Earth. You are the most educated population in the world, and you're telling me that you can't swim in your river? I don't understand."

      If these writings interest you, join elder Billy Lewis on Nonduality Network Talk Radio at 12:30pm EST, at http://ckdu.ca