5044#5041 - Thursday, October 3, 2013 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Oct 4, 2013

      #5041 - Thursday, October 3, 2013 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Long ago I noticed how many of the best quotes I saved for putting into NDH were
      from Daily Dharma. If you don't want to miss any, please consider subscribing.
      Like us, it is only one a day, and always excellent.

      Man is equally incapable of seeing the nothingness from which he emerges
      and the infinity in which he is engulfed.

      ~ Blaise Pascal
      photo: Jay Daley

      But why worry so much about causation?
      What do causes matter, when things
      themselves are transient?  Let come what
      comes and let go what goes - why catch
      hold of things and enquire about their causes?

      ~ Nisargadatta Maharaj
      via Along The Way

      "The art of life is to stay wide open and be vulnerable, yet at the same time to sit
      with the mystery and the awe and with the unbearable pain — to just be with it all.
      I’ve been growing into that wonderful catchphrase, 'be here now,' for the last
      forty years. Here and now has within it a great richness that is just enough."

      ~ Ram Dass

      via Daily Dharma by Amrita Nadi

      "The times when you are suffering can be those when you are open, and where you
      are extremely vulnerable can be where your greatest strength really lies."

      "Say to yourself: 'I am not going to run away from this suffering. I want to use it
      in the best and richest way I can, so that I can become more compassionate and
      more helpful to others.' Suffering, after all, can teach us about compassion. If you
      suffer, you will know how it is when others suffer. And if you are in a position to
      help others, it is through your suffering that you will find the understanding and
      compassion to do so."

      ~ Sogyal Ripoche, from Glimpse of the Day
      via Daily Dharma by Amrita Nadi

      I lost my world, my fame, my mind

      By Mevlana Jelaluddin Rumi
      (1207 - 1273)

      English version by Andrew Harvey

      I lost my world, my fame, my mind --
      The Sun appeared, and all the shadows ran.
      I ran after them, but vanished as I ran --
      Light ran after me and hunted me down.

      www.Poetry-Chaikhana.com

      "Like a shimmering reflection in water,
      appearance is not simply non existent,

      and yet it is not existent--
      beyond both existence and non existence,
      the yogin or yogini has no chatter in the mind.
      Rigpa in itself is unoriginated
      and appearances never crystallize;
      the attributes of rigpa are intangible
      and the fruition of rigpa is uncontrived."

      ~ Longchenpa

      From "Natural Perfection: Longchenpa's Radical Dzogchen"
      via Daily Dharma by anipachen

      "Seeing all things as naked, clear and free from obscurations, there is nothing to
      attain or realize. The nature of phenomena appears naturally and is naturally
      present in time-transcending awareness. Everything is naturally perfect just as it
      is. All phenomena appear in their uniqueness as part of the continually changing
      pattern. These patterns are vibrant with meaning and significance at every
      moment; yet there is no significance to attach to such meanings beyond the moment
      in which they present themselves.

      This is the dance of the five elements in which matter is a symbol of energy and
      energy a symbol of emptiness. We are a symbol of our own enlightenment. With no
      effort or practice whatsoever, liberation or enlightenment is already here.

      The everyday practice of dzogchen is just everyday life itself. Since the
      undeveloped state does not exist, there is no need to behave in any special way or
      attempt to attain anything above and beyond what you actually are. There should
      be no feeling of striving to reach some 'amazing goal' or "advanced state."

      ~ HH Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche

      From the website http://www.nyingma.com/dzogchen1.htm
      via Daily Dharma by anipachen

      Not taking air for granted brings vitality. Not taking light for granted brings
      clarity. Not taking water for granted brings purity. Not taking earth for granted
      brings stability. Just breathe, open these eyes, taste, feel the stinging wetness on
      the soles of your bare feet: this is true wealth, complete enlightenment, heavenly
      grace. Thank you, Mother.

      ~Fred LaMotte