5011#5011 August 29, 2013 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Aug 29, 2013

      Begin forwarded message:

      Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

      The Good Darkness

      By Hakim Sanai
      (1044? - 1150?)

      English version by Coleman Barks

      There is great joy in darkness.
      Deepen it.

      Blushing embarrassments
      in the half-light
      confuse,

      but a scorched, blackened, face
      can laugh like an Ethiopian,
      or a candled moth,
      coming closer to God.

      Brighter than any moon, Bilal,
      Muhammed's Black Friend,
      shadowed him on the night journey.

      Keep your deepest secret hidden
      in the dark beneath daylight's
      uncovering and night's spreading veil.

      Whatever's given you by those two
      is for your desires. They poison,
      eventually. Deeper down, where your face
      gets erased, where life-water runs silently,

      there's a prison with no food and drink,
      and no moral instruction, that opens on a garden
      where there's only God. No self,
      only the creation-word, BE.

      You, listening to me, roll up the carpet
      of time and space. Step beyond,
      into the one word.

      In blindness, receive what I say.
      Take "There is no good..."
      for your wealth and your strength.

      Let "There is nothing..." be
      a love-wisdom in your wine.

      -- from The Hand of Poetry: Five Mystic Poets of Persia, with Lectures by Inayat Khan, Translated by Coleman Barks

      Amazon.com

      / Photo by TheBroth3R /

      ============

      Thought for the Day:
         by Ivan M. Granger

      Every person you interact with is within you.
      Every object you touch is within you.
      The moment of your enlightenment
      reconciles the whole world.

      ============

      Featured Music --

      Debu

      Mabuk Cinta (Drunk with Love)

      Listen - Purchase

      More Music Selections

      Poetry Chaikhana's First Book!

      Real Thirst, Poetry of the Spiritual Journey, Ivan M. Granger
      Real Thirst
      Poetry of the Spiritual Journey
      Poems & Translations
      by Ivan M. Granger

      Read More / Purchase

      Purchase this book and support future Poetry Chaikhana publications!

      Hi Gloria -

      Wow. What is there to say about a poem like this? Just reading it works its alchemy on the awareness. But I'm a talkative fellow, so I think I'll say a few things anyway...

      What is this "Good Dark"? Light is so often considered one of the attributes of the Divine, but we forget that dark too is also a metaphor for God. The Eternal is sometimes called dark because It is beyond the ability of the limited intellect to see. It is the realm where there are no longer separations; nothing is seen as separate from That. When the individual encounters such immensity, perception in a sense collapses; there is merging and awareness, but the faculty of seeing distinct objects and beings, even a distinct self, is overwhelmed. It can feel like a shining darkness.

      So the Sacred Dark, the Good Dark, is God vast beyond comprehension, Being that gathers everything, even light, even perception, into Itself. This is the darkness where there is "great joy." This is the immense Mystery.

      But what does Sanai mean when he says "blushing embarrassments / in the half-light / confuse"? And he follows with, "but a scorched, blackened, face / can laugh like an Ethiopian, / or a candled moth, / coming closer to God." What is he saying here?

      First, why does a "blackened face" allow us to laugh and come closer to God? Because, if we understand the Divine to be that living, mysterious darkness, then when we become "blackened," we finally recognize ourselves as the same as that darkness. In the "half-light," where we are still distracted by our own faces, we are confused, more aware of ourselves than the holy mystery we touch. We become like a young lover too nervous and self-conscious to simply lose oneself in the embrace of the Beloved.

      Sanai is telling us we must be burned like a "candled moth," "blackened" until we have no face of our own separate from the "Good Dark," and then we can melt silently into the darkness and mystery of the Divine One. This is what he means when he later speaks of "Deeper down, where your face / gets erased, where life-water runs silently..."

      What do you think Sanai is talking about when he speaks of a place where "there's a prison with no food and drink, / and no moral instruction," but that place surprisingly "opens on a garden / where there's only God"?

      The prison is for the false self, the little self, the ego. There is "no food and drink" to satisfy the ego's desires, not merely its sensual desires, but it's intellectual desires go unfed, as well. This is the place where concepts fail, where reality is no longer parceled out into dichotomies of good and bad, right and wrong, making even "moral instruction" a hollow thing. The ego-mind is no longer able to say 'this is separate from that.' In the ego's starvation, in the mind's deep stillness, reality is perceived as one, whole, unsegmented, pure. That "prison with no food and drink" thus leads you to the garden "where there's only God."

      This awareness is what Sanai is asking of us when he tells us to "roll up the carpet / of time and space" (both belonging to the ego's attempts to segment reality), to "step... into the one word" (rather than the ego-mind's many words). This is what it means to say "There is no good..." (or bad, no division of opposites), "There is nothing..." (except the Divine Wholeness that is all things, emptying individual 'things' of their substance). If you can settle deeply into this awareness, with supreme poise and balance, then you will find yourself drinking the ecstasy of true love-wisdom!

      Ivan

      Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary...

      (Or visit the poem's blog page to click the FB 'Like' button.)

      Poetry Chaikhana on Facebook Poetry Chaikhana on Google+ Poetry Chaikhana on Twitter Poetry Chaikhana on YouTube

      Support the Poetry Chaikhana

      Donations to the Poetry Chaikhana in any amount are always welcome. Thank you!

      Click here

      You can also support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!
      A small amount each month makes a big difference. Become a voluntary Subscriber for just $2/mo.
      Help the Poetry Chaikhana reach more people. Become a Supporter for just $10/mo.

      www.Poetry-Chaikhana.com

      Poetry Chaikhana
      P.O. Box 2320
      Boulder, CO 80306

      Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are Copyright © 2002 - 2013 by Ivan M. Granger.
      All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.

      Friday Only: If you want to receive only one poem email each week, reply to this email and change the Subject to "Friday Only".
      Unsubscribe: If you wish to stop receiving these poem emails, reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".