4829#4829 - Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Jan 29, 2013
      #4829 - Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      Photo: Ella Joy and Jeannie McGillivray

      Interview with Ella Joy McGillivray

      Ella Joy lives in Shropshire, U.K. with her parents Paul and Jeannie McGillivray and attends high school. She's 15 years old. On Facebook I announced that I was looking for "young people" to interview. I was anticipating people in their twenties. When Jeannie suggest Ella, I thought yeah sure, this could be ground breaking. And I really wanted to find out how Ella spoke and related to her friends.

      You may know Jeannie and Paul through their website http://www.meetingtruth.com/ which lists "everyone's" upcoming events and satsangs. It's a great resource and under constant development as new teachers and features are added. You can actually buy event tickets through the site.

      Watch on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EULS43QbTz0 (Photos selected by Ella.)

      "Tracks"

      0:00 - 1:52 Introduction to Ella, her parents Jeannie and Paul. Being raised in a household where nonduality makes up the values and way of looking at things. School.

      1:53 - 4:07 Ella tells of talking to a boy who felt lost and unhappy and how she spoke to him.

      4:08 - 7:18 Ella talks about her relationship with her mother and elaborates on how she speaks to her peers from the place of nondual understanding.

      7:18 -  9:31 Singing, dancing, and art are discussed. Ella can sa-a-ang and may be heard here:
      https://soundcloud.com/ella-joy

      9:31 - 11:43 Chanting and other interests at the Science and Nonduality Conference 2012.

      11:43 - 12:50 Interests in school classes.

      12:50 - 14:42 Nonduality teachers Ella likes. The two teachers Ella couldn't think of in the interview, she later told me were Gangaji and Adyashanti. And the amazing Sufi teacher at SAND 2012, whose name neither of us could think of, was Ashegul Ashki, who may be viewed at http://vimeo.com/926726

      14:42 - 15:51 Coming from experience. Ella's mother Jeannie being her influence or teacher.

      15:51 - 21:44 Ella's use of the word nonduality with her friends and in Religious Education class.

      21:44 - 23:19 Sharing these teachings and experiences with friends.

      23:19 - 24:15 Comments on spiritual practices.

      24:16 - 25:33 Harry Potter.

      25:33 - 29:05 Impact of the book/dvd The Secret. Dealing with self-image, mind set, and outlook on life, and how it affects you.

      29:05 - 30:03 Influence of the book Flip It on self-image and attitude.

      30:03 - 30:59 Ella's group of friends, their values and interaction.

      30:59 - 33:22 Ella speaks to people's pain. Suffering.

      Photo: Paul and Ella Joy McGillivray

      Big thanks to all the McGillivray's for being part of this, and especially to Ella Joy for her light, her joy, ease, and caring wisdom. -Jerry