4805#4805 - Friday, January 4, 2013 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Jan 5, 2013
       #4805 - Friday, January 4, 2013 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      Interview with Pete Sierra.
      Annoucement of One The Magazine
      Notice of the passing of Douwe Tiemersma.

      PETE SIERRA

      The anti-teacher

      The anti-teacher is a new kind of guru
      hard at work on these lists. You might
      be the anti-teacher to someone here,
      and neither you, nor your anti-pupil might
      be aware that is happening.

      When someone chooses you as his anti-teacher,
      they set you up as the person to
      prove wrong, and this urge to prove you
      wrong becomes like a mission. But underneath
      the obvious hostility to your ideas the
      anti-pupil is using you to teach himself,
      and to clarify his own ideas. At the end
      of the process some of the anti-teacher's
      opinions will be adopted by the anti-pupil
      in a modified form.

      Two people could use each others as anti-teachers,
      and these relationships, although they could be
      profitable and illuminating for both, usually degenerate
      into protracted dog fights, which disturb other
      interactions at that list.

      If the anti-teacher knows his role, he usually lets
      the anti-pupil attack his ideas without responding.
      Eventually, the other party will come to terms with
      the ideas, either by agreeing, or learning
      tolerance, or simply moving on.

      If you notice someone is using you as such, it's
      best to keep it to yourself, at least until the person
      no longer needs you. If you look closer, I bet you can
      spot this kind of relationships going on right now.
      People like Tomb, Dan, and AC are sometimes
      used in this way by some people.

      There is a very simple, but profitable experiment
      you can conduct in this regard: when you notice
      your irritation at reading a post growing as you read,
      and you can't wait to reply, just sit back, and focus
      on the irritation, and try to spot what really provoked it.
      Does it happen more with that person than with others?
      Why have you given those ideas, and maybe that
      person such negative value? Recognize those ideas
      as hot buttons to be disconnected. (Just a thought,
      don't get all work up about it. :)

      The Anti-Teacher was posted to Pete's YahooGroup, Advaita to Zen:

      Watch/listen to my recent interview with Pete Sierra:

      For a more middle of the road, yet sweeping view of nonduality consider subscribing to One The Magazine. I did. It's only ten bucks for a year and looks like it'll be totally worth it. What better way to spend the money? You know that I don't get into things unless I'm quite sure they're the real deal. Learn about One here:

      Here's what I wrote on Facebook about One The Magazine:

      Congratulations, Shanti! As a new subscriber I see that you've created a beautiful container for the diversity of nondual teachings, a crystal vase holding many wildly different flowers, each sipping the same water (that's Jan Barendrecht's metaphor). You're clearly upholding the mission to, "Celebrate our true nature as one." A section on News is particularly uncommon and important toward disseminating these teachings. There's no single "center" in the world of nonduality, nor should there be, but it looks like your publication will come close to being it!

      "Douwe Tiemersma passed away on January 3, 2012. Ever since his radical encounter with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj in 1980, he helped people recognize non-dual openness as the ground of their own existence. Due to his background in yoga he encouraged a relaxed, integrated bodily recognition. As such, he offered meditation, pranayama, hathayoga and chakra yoga to compliment the weekly satsangs which took place at the Advaita Center located in Gouda."

      If you're wondering where you've heard Douwe's name before, he wrote the foreword to Nisargadatta's I Am That. He was also recently written up in the Highlights a few months ago: