4799#4799 - Saturday, December 29, 2012

  • Mark
    Dec 29, 2012

      Nonduality Highlights Issue #4799, Saturday, December 29, 2012

      When you plant lettuce, if it does not grow well, you don't blame the lettuce. You look for reasons it is not doing well. It may need fertilizer, or more water, or less sun. You never blame the lettuce. Yet if we have problems with our friends or family, we blame the other person. But if we know how to take care of them, they will grow well, like the lettuce. Blaming has no positive effect at all, nor does trying to persuade using reason and argument. That is my experience. No blame, no reasoning, no argument, just understanding. If you understand, and you show that you understand, you can love, and the situation will change

      ~ Thich Nhat Hanh. posted to DailyDharma

      There is nothing like you and I. What are you seeing? You are seeing a part of the mind only. You are not seeing a person. Just as you see a wall in dream, you see another wall here. It stands in the same relation to the cosmic mind as the dream wall in relation to the waking mind. This world is a cosmic dream. When you wake up you will not see the world. Just as you do not see the dream- world now.

      - Swami Krishnananda, from Facets of Spirituality, compiled by S. Bhagyalakshmi, posted to AlongTheWay

      When Realization dawns, then what happens? You are no longer 'you'. You remain established in the inner silence and freedom without any concern for your welfare, content with whatever comes along - and life goes on in perfect effortlessness.

      Be fully aware of your own being and you will be in bliss consciously. Because you take your mind off yourself and make it dwell on what you are not, you lose your sense of well-being.

      The one who regards the foam explains the mystery,
      while the one who regards the Sea is bewildered.
      The one who regards the foam forms intentions,
      while the one who has known the Sea makes her heart one with the Sea.
      The one who regards the froth calculates and reckons,
      while the one who regards the Sea is without conscious volition.
      The one who regards the froth is continually in motion,
      while the one who regards the Sea is free of hypocrisy.

      - Rumi Mathnawi V: 2908-2911, version by Camille and Kabir Helminski from Rumi: Jewels of Remembrance, posted to Sunlight

      Why is the sea king of a hundred streams?
      Because it lies below them. Therefore it is
      the king of a hundred streams.

      If the sage would guide the people, he must
      serve with humility. If he would lead them, he
      must follow behind. In this way when the sage
      rules, the people will not feel oppressed. When
      he stands before them, they will not be harmed.
      The whole world will support him and will not
      tire of him.

      Because he does not compete, he does not
      meet competition.

      - Lao-tzu from Tao Te Ching, translation by Gia-fu Feng and Jane English, posted to AlongTheWay