4724#4724 - Sunday, October 7, 2012

  • Mark
    Oct 7, 2012

      Nonduality Highlights Issue #4724, Sunday, October 7, 2012

      Wisdom can only be learned gradually, and every soul is not ready to receive or to understand the complexity of the purpose of life.

      Bowl of Saki, October 6, by Hazrat Inayat Khan

      Commentary by Pir-o-Murshid Inayat Khan:

      Man likes complexity. He does not want to take only one step; it is more interesting to look forward to millions of steps. The man who is seeking the truth gets into a maze, and that maze interests him. He wants to go through it a thousand times more. It is just like children. Their whole interest is in running about; they do not want to see the door and go in until they are very tired. So it is with adults. They all say that they are seeking truth, but they like the maze. That is why the mystics made the greatest truths a mystery, to be given only to the few who were ready for them, letting the others play because it was the time for them to play.

      Truth is simple. But for the very reason that it is simple, people will not take it; because our life on earth is such that for everything we value, we have to pay a great price and one wonders, if truth is the most precious of all things, then how can truth be attained simply? It is this illusion that makes everyone deny simple truth and seek for complexity. Tell people about something that makes their heads whirl round and round and round. Even if they do not understand it, they are most pleased to think, 'It is something substantial. It is something solid. For, it is an idea we cannot understand, it must be something lofty.' But something which every soul knows, proving what is divine in every soul, and which it cannot help but know, that appears to be too cheap, for the soul already knows it. There are two things: knowing and being. It is easy to know truth, but most difficult to be truth. It is not in knowing truth that life's purpose is accomplished; life's purpose is accomplished in being truth.

      - posted to SufiMystic

      Chuang Tzu was fishing in the Pu river. The prince of Chu sent two vice-chancellors with a formal document: We hereby appoint you prime minister.

      Chuang Tzu held his bamboo pole still. Watching the Pu river he said: I am told there is a sacred tortoise offered and canonized three thousand years ago, venerated by the prince, wrapped in silk in a precious shrine on an altar in the temple. What do you think? Is it better to give up one's life, and leave a sacred shell as an object of cult in a cloud of incense for three thousand years, or to live as a plain turtle dragging its tail in the mud? For the turtle, said the vice-chancellor, better to live and drag its tail in the mud! Go home! said Chuang Tzu. Leave me here to drag my tail in the mud.

      - posted to AdvaitaToZen

      Everything you accomplish as a human being is momentary, perishable. You come in this world with nothing, you leave with nothing. You can peruse many things and die without knowing who you are but if you know who you are you can never die.

      - Mooji (Anthony Paul Moo-Young) from Writing on Water, posted to AlongTheWay

      When the mind is let alone to be one with space so that the mental space becomes united with the physical space, then all that remains inside and outside is "I" Consciousness, the fullness of pure BEING.

      Common sense too will tell you that to fulfill a desire you must keep your mind on it. If you want to know your true nature, you must have yourself in mind all the time, until the secret of your being stands revealed.