4556#4556 - Saturday, March 31, 2011

  • Mark
    Apr 1, 2012

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #4556, Saturday, March 31, 2011

      Desperately seeking simplicity

      this time i must confess
      i feel a total hate for myself
      while crowded and swarmed
      my heart wishes to be a single self

      seeking that single pearl
      i crave to dive deep into this sea
      but fear of murderous waves
      makes me beg for your help my friends

      scattered with so much going on inside
      i long for nothing but an inner unity
      duality must be abandoned
      if you seek to drink the soul of unity

      you must bet and lose
      everything you've ever owned
      if you truly desire
      to become one with your beloved

      listen to the secret sound
      of the revelation now
      when your quest aspires the skies
      fly away from this lowly earth

      my heavenly soul
      who only nests in the heights
      is tired of its house on earth
      it wants to abandon the body
      it wants to take the final flight

      - Rumi, Ghazal 3210, translation by Nader Khalili from Rumi, Fountain of Fire, posted to Sunlight

      Here's a message for the faithful
      what is it that you cherish
      to find the Way to see your nature
      your nature is naturally so
      what Heaven bestows is perfect
      looking for proof leads you astray
      leaving the trunk to search among the twigs
      all you get is stupid

      - Hanshan, from The Collected Songs of Cold Mountain, translation by Red Pine

      Instead of searching for what you do not have, find out what it is that you have never lost. That which is there before the beginning and after the ending of everything; that to which there is no birth, nor death. That immovable state, which is not affected by the birth and death of a body or a mind, that state you must perceive.

      - Nisargadatta Maharaj, from I Am That, posted to AlongTheWay

      Drink your tea slowly and reverently,
      as if it is the axis
      on which the world earth revolves
      - slowly, evenly, without
      rushing toward the future;
      Live the actual moment.
      Only this moment is life.

      - Thich Nhat Hahn

      When the mind is at peace,
      the world too is at peace.
      Nothing real, nothing absent.
      Not holding on to reality,
      not getting stuck in the void,
      you are neither holy nor wise, just
      an ordinary fellow who has completed his work.

      - Layman P'ang (c. 740-808), from The Enlightened Heart - An Anthology of Sacred Poetry, edited by Stephen Mitchell, posted to AlongTheWay