4500#4500 - Wednesday, February 1, 2012 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Feb 1, 2012

      #4500 - Wednesday, February 1, 2012 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      Co-editors:  Tomas Sander and Tamara Vyshkina

           "Emptiness teachings are widely held to be liberating. The purpose of this site
           is to present the wide variety of these teachings in a way that will help make
           them accessible and relevant. We will feature scholarly, experiential and popular
           approaches to the emptiness teachings, and we will honor the diversity of traditions
           from which they flow. Our goal is to highlight the power and appeal of these
           teachings so that they may do their work."

      This may be the first site of its kind — it presents approaches to emptiness realization form Western sources as well as Buddhist sources.  Because emptiness is broadly defined lack of self, lack of essence, lack of inherent existence, there turn out to be many ways to realize emptiness.  We will try to showcase many of these approaches.

      The site is just getting started and there's a lot of content that we are working on adding.  We plan to include writings, art, audios, videos, classes and more.  But so far, you can find:

      * "Coming from the Advaitic/Awareness teachings?  Special Pointers"
      * "5 Buddhist Books to Start With"
      * "Intro to Emptiness"

      Emptiness and Joyful Freedom with practical pointers, tips and meditations.  This book uses Western insights and sources.

      Announcement of a class by Greg Goode and Tomas Sadner in New York City on Feb. 25th, entitled "Experiencing Emptiness in Everyday Life."
      Information and an e-book from "Emptiness and Joyful Freedom," a popular class given in several formats since 2009.
      More to come

      Written specifically for emptiness.co, they include:
      * "Perspective Taking" by Scott Kiloby
      * "A Night in Emptiness" by Dawid Dahl
      * Articles forthcoming from Vicki Woodyard and Susan Kahn

      * Interviews
      * Meditations
      * Article called "5 Western Books to Start With"
      * List of places to study emptiness
      * Profiles of various Western approoaches to emptiness, including "Pyrrhonism" "anti-dualism," "social construction," "deconstruction," and more!

      On-topic submissions gladly welcomed!  They can be art, photography, audio, video, poetry or prose!

      For more information, write to Greg at greg@....

      SAND Europe 2012

      Rupert Spira writes:

      "Many of you will have heard of the Science and Non-Duality Conference - SAND - that now takes place regularly in Northern California every October. It is coming to Europe (Amsterdam) for the first time in early June this year. The Buddhist teacher Thich Nhat Hanh predicted recently that the next Buddha would be the community. SAND is the embodiment of this prediction, providing a dialogue between a wide diversity of non-dual teachers and traditions and many of the leading scientific researchers in this field.

      However, anyone who has attended SAND will know that it is much more than a conventional conference, albeit on an unconventional subject. It is part seminar, part festival, part celebration, part satsang, and promises to bring a new and exciting forum for Non-Duality to Europe. Please click below for more details."

      I'm glad to be speaking at the conference. I'll probably tie-in my grandfather's stay in Amsterdam a hundred years earlier where he was a  social revolutionary. I might talk about how nonduality is called an inner revolution by J. Krishnamurti , a revolution of the heart by Jeannie Zandi, or love's quiet revolution by Scott Kiloby. Others use the term revolution in relation to nondual understanding. Somehow I'll bring stories about my grandfather into my talk, so I think it'll be fun and interesting.

      Also I'll either be moderating or a panelist on a panel whose subject is The Business of Nonduality. Julian Noyce, publisher of Non-Duality Press will be on the panel as well.

      But bigger than the talks and panels -- because we've all heard it all, and we all have access to it all -- is the sum of the parts, as Rupert writes about above. It's worth experiencing. What Maurizio and Zaya fashion with each SAND Conference is blissful and magical, and part of it is nothing less than their presence. If they didn't show up, it wouldn't be the same!

      So ... try to get to a SAND Conference, whether the upcoming one in the Netherlands, or in San Rafael, California in October, or some future one.

      The message about the SAND Conference was taken from the newsletter of Non-Duality Press. In the current issue you'll read about Gabriel Rosenstock's new book, The Pleasantries of Krishnamurphy , as well as someone I'd never heard of before, Morgan Caraway.

      You may read the entire newsletter (and subscribe to it) here:

      I recommend subscribing.