4366#4366 - Sunday September 11, 2011

  • Mark
    Sep 11, 2011

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #4366, Sunday September 11, 2011

      Not to forgive is to be imprisoned by the past, by old grievances that do not permit life to proceed with new business. Not to forgive is to yield oneself to another's control... to be locked into a sequence of act and response, of outrage and revenge, tit for tat, escalating always. The present is endlessly overwhelmed and devoured by the past. Forgiveness frees the forgiver. It extracts the forgiver from someone else's nightmare.

      - Lance Morrow

      Resentment is like a glass of poison that a man drinks; then he sits down and waits for his enemy to die.

      - Nelson Mandela when asked why he was not resentful for his imprisonment.

      Forgiving does not erase the bitter past. A healed memory is not a deleted memory. Instead, forgiving what we cannot forget creates a new way to remember. We change the memory of our past into a hope for our future.

      - Louis B. Smedes

      When we forgive evil we do not excuse it, we do not tolerate it, we do not smother it. We look the evil full in the face, call it what it is, let its horror shock and stun and enrage us, and only then do we forgive it.

      - Louis B. Smedes

      Forgiveness is the giving, and so the receiving, of life.

      - George MacDonald

      He who cannot forgive breaks the bridge over which he himself must pass.

      - George Herbert

      Many people are afraid to forgive because they feel they must remember the wrong or they will not learn from it. The opposite is true. Through forgiveness, the wrong is released from its emotional stranglehold on us so that we can learn from it. Through the power and intelligence of the heart, the release of forgiveness brings expanded intelligence to work with the situation more effectively.

      - David McArthur & Bruce McArthur

      I can forgive, but I cannot forget, is only another way of saying, I will not forgive. Forgiveness ought to be like a cancelled note - torn in two, and burned up, so that it never can be shown against one.

      - Henry Ward Beecher

      Not the power to remember, but its very opposite, the power to forget, is a necessary condition for our existence.

      - Sholem Asch

      You will know that forgiveness has begun when you recall those who hurt you and feel the power to wish them well.

      - Lewis B. Smedes

      Forgiveness is the answer to the child's dream of a miracle by which what is broken is made whole again, what is soiled is made clean again.

      - Dag Hammarskjold

      Forgiveness is... accepting God's sovereign use of people and situations to strip you of self importance, and humiliate your self love.

      - Martha Kilpatrick

      Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heal that has crushed it.

      - Mark Twain