4148#4148 - Saturday, January 29, 2011

  • Mark
    Jan 29, 2011

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #4148, Saturday, January 29, 2011

      Nothing matters so much that we should throw ourselves into a state of panic about it. No happening is so important that we should let ourselves be exiled from inner peace and mental calm for its sake.

      - Paul Brunton

      Weak desires can be removed by introspection and meditation, but strong, deep-rooted ones must be fulfilled and their fruits, sweet or bitter, tasted.

      - Nisargadatta Maharaj, from I Am That - Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj, posted to AlongTheWay

      Subhuti asked:

      Is perfect wisdom beyond thinking
      Is it unimaginable and totally unique but
      nevertheless reaching the unreachable and
      attaining the unattainable?

      The Buddha replied:

      Yes, Subhuti, it is exactly so.
      And why is perfect wisdom beyond thinking?
      It is because all its points of reference cannot
      be thought about but can be apprehended.
      One is the disappearance of the
      self-conscious person into pure presence.
      Another is the simple awakening to reality.
      Another is the knowing of the
      essenceless essence of all things of the world.
      And another is luminous knowledge that
      knows without a knower.
      None of these points can sustain
      ordinary thought because they are not
      objects or subjects.
      They can't be imagined or touched or
      approached in any way by any ordinary
      mode of consciousness,
      therefore they are beyond thinking.

      - Prajnaparamita, posted to AdvaitaToZen

      look at love
      how it tangles
      with the one fallen in love

      look at spirit
      how it fuses with earth
      giving it new life

      why are you so busy
      with this or that or good or bad
      pay attention to how things blend

      why talk about all
      the known and the unknown
      see how the unknown merges into the known

      why think separately
      of this life and the next
      when one is born from the last

      look at your heart and tongue
      one feels but deaf and dumb
      the other speaks in words and signs

      look at water and fire
      earth and wind
      enemies and friends all at once

      the wolf and the lamb
      the lion and the deer
      far away yet together

      look at the unity of this
      spring and winter
      manifested in the equinox

      you too must mingle my friends
      since the earth and the sky
      are mingled just for you and me

      be like sugarcane
      sweet yet silent
      don't get mixed up with bitter words

      my beloved grows
      right out of my own heart
      how much more union can there be

      - Rumi, Ghazal 2381, from Rumi's Diwan-e Shams, translation by Nader Khalili, from Rumi, Fountain of Fire, posted to Sunlight