3732#3732 - Wednesday, December 2, 2009 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Dec 2, 2009

      #3732 - Wednesday, December 2, 2009 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      THE MAN OF TAO

      The man in whom Tao
      Acts without impediment
      Harms no other being
      By his actions
      Yet he does not know himself
      To be "kind," to be "gentle."

      The man in whom Tao
      Acts without impediment
      Does not bother with his own interests
      And does not despise
      Others who do.
      He does not struggle to make money
      And does not make a virtue of poverty.

      He goes his way
      Without relying on others
      And does not pride himself
      On walking alone.
      While he does not follow the crowd
      He won't complain of those who do.
      Rank and reward
      Make no appeal to him;
      Disgrace and shame
      Do not deter him.
      He is not always looking
      For right and wrong
      Always deciding "Yes" and "No."
      The ancients said, therefore:
      "The man of Tao
      Remains unknown
      Perfect virtue
      Produces nothing
      'No-Self'
      Is 'True-Self'
      And the greatest man
      Is Nobody"

      posted to OpenAwareness by Roy Whenary

      The Heart of the World

      Sometimes modern people misunderstand Buddhism’s focus on the individual human journey as well as its injunction to people to find out who they are and to seek their own ultimate fulfillment. With our Western suspicions of meditation, of looking within— and, frankly, our fear of being alone—not infrequently, we tend to reject the inward looking of Buddhism as somehow disconnected from the social context and disloyal to it.
      If Buddhism were a static tradition with an unchanging interpretation of what people are and of how they need to engage their world, such suspicions would have some merit. But Buddhism is nothing other than a set of practices to open up the mysteries of the human heart and the deepest realities of our human experience as those exist, uniquely in us, right at this moment. And the human heart is not personal: the more we fathom our own hearts, the more we find there the being of others and, beyond that, the very heart of the world itself.
      - Reginald Ray, "Looking Inward, Seeing Outward"

      Read the complete article on tricycle.com.

      Alan Larus Midsummer midnight mountain path.

      Midnight view from a mountain facing the North Sea.

      photos posted on Facebook to

      Diwali

      and how did you think
      the light would manifest