3035#3035 - Wednesday, January 2, 2008 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Jan 2, 2008
      #3035 - Wednesday, January 2, 2008 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      In that silent centre there is immense power and rocklike strength.

      — Paul Brunton, Notebooks

      Ordinary people look to their surroundings, while followers of the Way look to Mind, but the true Dharma is to forget them both.
      The former is easy enough, the latter very difficult.

      Men are afraid to forget their minds, fearing to fall through the Void [Chaos] with nothing to stay their fall. They do not know that the Void is not really void, but the realm of the real Dharma."

      — Huang Po

      There is no security in Freedom, at least not in the sense that we normally think of it. This is, of course, why it is so free; there's nothing there to grab hold of. The Unknown is more vast, more open, more peaceful, and more freeing than you ever imagined it would be. If you don't experience it that way, it means you're not resting there; you're still trying to know. That will cause you to suffer because you're choosing security over Freedom.
      When you rest deeply in the Unknown without trying to escape, your experience becomes very vast. As the experience of the Unknown deepens, your boundaries begin to dissolve. You realize, not just intellectually but on a deep level, that you have no idea who or what you are. A few minutes ago, you knew who you were—you had a history and a personality—but from this place of not knowing, you question all of that. Liberated people live in the Unknown and understand that the only reason they know what they are is because they rest in the Unknown moment by moment without defining who they are with the mind. You can imagine how easy it is to get caught in the concept of the
      Unknown and seek that instead of the Truth. If you seek the concept you'll never be Free, but if you stop looking to myths and concepts and become more interested in the Unknown than in what you know, the door will be flung open.

      — Adyashanti

      posted by Bob O'Hearn

      A student once said: "When I was a Buddhist, it drove my parents and friends crazy, but when I am a buddha, nobody is upset at all."

      - Jon Kabat-Zinn, Wherever You Go, There You Are

      You Are Not a Single YOU
      - Rumi

      You're a common rhyme-word now,
      dependent on some other for your emotional force,
      but real life will come.

      As when a baby stops nursing and grows interested
      in solid food. As when seeds break open in the ground
      and act differently.

      There is a hidden love-center
      in human beings that you will discover and savor
      and nourish yourself with. That will be your food.

      There's a way of going that's like the stars.
      No,
      even freer than they are, completely unconditioned,
      unlocated, unpathed. A journey without a sky!

      You came from Non-existence into being.
      How did that happen? Tell me about it!
      You were a little drunk when you arrived,
      so you can't remember exactly?

      I'll give you
      some secret hints. Let your mind go, and be mindful.
      Close your ears, and listen.

      But maybe I shouldn't tell,
      if you're not ripe. You're still in early Spring.
      July hasn't happened yet in you.
      This world is a tree,
      and we are green, half-ripe fruit on it.
      We hold tight to the limbs, because we know
      we're not ready to be taken into the palace.

      When we mature and sweeten,
      we'll feel ashamed
      at having clung so clingingly.
      To hold fast
      is a sure sign of unripeness.
      To drink and enjoy
      blood is fine for an embryo.

      More needs to be said on this, but the Holy Spirit
      will tell it to you when I'm not here.

      *You'll* tell it
      to *yourself*. Not I, or some other "I," You
      who are Me!
      As when you fall asleep and go
      from the presence of your self to the Presence
      of your Self. You hear That One and you think,
      "Someone must have communicated telepathically
      in my sleep."
      You are not a single You,
      good Friend, you are a Sky and an Ocean,
      a tremendous YHUUUUUU, a nine hundred times huge
      drowning place for all your hundreds of you's.

      What are these terms *wakefulness* and *sleep*?
      Don't answer. Let God answer.
      Don't speak, so the Speakers can.
      Not a word, so Sun-Light can say
      what has never been in a book, or said.
      Don't try to put it into words,
      and the Spirit will do that through you,
      in spite of you,
      beside you,
      among you.
      Stop swimming so hard,
      and climb in the boat with Noah.

      (Mathnawi, III, 1283-1307)

      'This Longing' Versions by Coleman Barks/John Moyes

      posted to Allspirit by Gill Eardley